ID3 servicing.......... simply explained

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
sghom
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:23 am

Post by sghom »

you just got to laugh !!

family pro performance, mangy knees+bin lids
JCT 600 [sheffield]
ordered 17 july
3140xxxx
build week 45 confirmed? 11/1
on the boat 8-)
MY22
ETA feb 22 8-)

OB1CCFC
Posts: 360
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:38 am

Post by OB1CCFC »

The worst thing in all that saga is none of them actually know but quite a few of them just make something up. And what they make up has customer cost and time implications.
We are nearly 2 years into the ID range things shouldn’t be this bad.
And don’t get me started on disc brake replacements at 12k miles!!
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
monkeyhanger
Posts: 1273
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by monkeyhanger »

That guy has literally paid £259 for a car wash and a wipe across his dash with a perfumed wet wipe. Possibly someone has also replaced the £11 pollen filter, taking a minute to do so, but they can't confirm that. Bargain!

VW need to publish a comprehensive schedule of works for servicing the ID3. Without that, they are preventing you going somewhere else to get an equivalent service performed at any garage that isn't a franchised dealership, without putting your warranty at risk. Your choice to use another garage, using original VW parts and equivalent grade fluids and lubricants is everyone's rights, as enshrined in EU consumer rights laws (and those rights are still retained in the UK, post Brexit, as far as I'm aware.

From what I've read here and there, the scope of inspection for an ID3 service is less than that required for a £55 MOT, no diagnostic plugging, and a £11 pollen filter replacement that takes 1 or 2 minutes labour to do. With that in mind, it's hard to justify more than £100 for half an hour's labour at VW dealership rates and the £11 filter.

All the other crap they do to try and justify the £259 (courtesy wash/vac and charging your battery) is a smokescreen to disguise the absolute rip off this service is.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Busman
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:46 am

Post by Busman »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:21 am That guy has literally paid £259 for a car wash and a wipe across his dash with a perfumed wet wipe. Possibly someone has also replaced the £11 pollen filter, taking a minute to do so, but they can't confirm that. Bargain!

VW need to publish a comprehensive schedule of works for servicing the ID3. Without that, they are preventing you going somewhere else to get an equivalent service performed at any garage that isn't a franchised dealership, without putting your warranty at risk. Your choice to use another garage, using original VW parts and equivalent grade fluids and lubricants is everyone's rights, as enshrined in EU consumer rights laws (and those rights are still retained in the UK, post Brexit, as far as I'm aware.

From what I've read here and there, the scope of inspection for an ID3 service is less than that required for a £55 MOT, no diagnostic plugging, and a £11 pollen filter replacement that takes 1 or 2 minutes labour to do. With that in mind, it's hard to justify more than £100 for half an hour's labour at VW dealership rates and the £11 filter.

All the other crap they do to try and justify the £259 (courtesy wash/vac and charging your battery) is a smokescreen to disguise the absolute rip off this service is.
I think my friends in the UK you need follow the example of Irish ID.3 owners and do what is recommended by VW dealership's in Ireland.
Two years is the recommendation ,for the first service/Inspection.UK dealerships are having a laugh at your expense.
ID.3 Comfort,
57KWH 145 BPH , Heat pump and Wall box Pulsar.
monkeyhanger
Posts: 1273
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by monkeyhanger »

Busman wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:46 pm
I think my friends in the UK you need follow the example of Irish ID.3 owners and do what is recommended by VW dealership's in Ireland.
Two years is the recommendation ,for the first service/Inspection.UK dealerships are having a laugh at your expense.
ID.3 Comfort,
57KWH 145 BPH , Heat pump and Wall box Pulsar.
Most of us here know its every 2 years, regardless of mileage, even if the dealerships will willingly take your money after a year.

What we don't know is the exact schedule of works for the service. They change the pollen filter (a 60 second job), they inspect your type 2 charging lead to nake sure it hasn't started to deteriorate in the 2 years in the 2 years most have never used it (another 60 second job). Presumably the rest is looking at the car up on stilts to check the suspension/steering system components and under trays for damage, maybe a bit of easily accessed drive train wiring for chafing (10-20 mins?).

We need a definitive schedule of works to take the car elsewhere and assure ourselves and VW that equivalent servicing has been done elsewhere for around £100.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Busman
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:46 am

Post by Busman »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:31 pm
Busman wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:46 pm
I think my friends in the UK you need follow the example of Irish ID.3 owners and do what is recommended by VW dealership's in Ireland.
Two years is the recommendation ,for the first service/Inspection.UK dealerships are having a laugh at your expense.
ID.3 Comfort,
57KWH 145 BPH , Heat pump and Wall box Pulsar.
Most of us here know its every 2 years, regardless of mileage, even if the dealerships will willingly take your money after a year.

What we don't know is the exact schedule of works for the service. They change the pollen filter (a 60 second job), they inspect your type 2 charging lead to nake sure it hasn't started to deteriorate in the 2 years in the 2 years most have never used it (another 60 second job). Presumably the rest is looking at the car up on stilts to check the suspension/steering system components and under trays for damage, maybe a bit of easily accessed drive train wiring for chafing (10-20 mins?).

We need a definitive schedule of works to take the car elsewhere and assure ourselves and VW that equivalent servicing has been done elsewhere for around £100.
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:31 pm
Busman wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:46 pm
I think my friends in the UK you need follow the example of Irish ID.3 owners and do what is recommended by VW dealership's in Ireland.
Two years is the recommendation ,for the first service/Inspection.UK dealerships are having a laugh at your expense.
ID.3 Comfort,
57KWH 145 BPH , Heat pump and Wall box Pulsar.
Most of us here know its every 2 years, regardless of mileage, even if the dealerships will willingly take your money after a year.

What we don't know is the exact schedule of works for the service. They change the pollen filter (a 60 second job), they inspect your type 2 charging lead to nake sure it hasn't started to deteriorate in the 2 years in the 2 years most have never used it (another 60 second job). Presumably the rest is looking at the car up on stilts to check the suspension/steering system components and under trays for damage, maybe a bit of easily accessed drive train wiring for chafing (10-20 mins?).

We need a definitive schedule of works to take the car elsewhere and assure ourselves and VW that equivalent servicing has been done elsewhere for around £100.
I see your point alright .To be honest it would be interesting to know what Irish dealerships would charge for a service after 2 years.
User avatar
Utumno
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:34 am
Location: Oxfordshire

Post by Utumno »

Last I looked VW were pretty clear on the website about what a service consists of and how much it costs, given a service plan consists of a single service and an MOT.

Dealers, as usual, are clueless and incompetent.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
phixion
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:08 pm

Post by phixion »

This sort of stuff makes me glad my car is on Motability and I don't have to worry about it.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
monkeyhanger
Posts: 1273
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by monkeyhanger »

phixion wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:24 pm This sort of stuff makes me glad my car is on Motability and I don't have to worry about it.
I found the schedule of works. Thee is a list of items and they're almost all in the scope of the checks done for a free vehicle health check you normally get when having a real service done on an ICE car excepting that pollen filter change and looking at inside the drive motor compartment. Some items are even stated twice to make the list look longer. There are checks like looking at your charging socket to make sure it's not dirty, inspecting the charging cable that came with the car for wear and topping up your drive battery (probably to 100%, against VW recommendations). The list of works is an absolute joke and completely unjustifiable at even half the money they're charging.

No way in the world I'm getting VW to do the work. Will double check how much Nissan charge for a Leaf (it used to be £109) and get them to do it, supplying them with a new pollen filter.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
monkeyhanger
Posts: 1273
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nissan dealers look to be no better.

https://www.westwaynissan.co.uk/servici ... ce-service

Select Leaf, and for £159, you get on a minor service: Oil & oil filter change, screen wash top-up, new sump plug washer. :shock:
What is included in a Nissan Leaf premium service?

Everything from Premium Service plus replace brake fluid, fit new fuel filter**, fit new pollen filter**, replace antifreeze. We will also check PCV system**, ignition system and emissions. 3+ year servicing for LEAF will continue to follow the up to 3 year service schedule.
Wow, didn't know Leafs had a fuel filter to replace and emissions to monitor. Seems that VW aren't the only ones taking the mick, they're just a lower grade of robbery, at £159.

I think what's needed here is the likes of AA/RAC/Auto Express to perform an ID3 service, determine how long it takes to follow the official schedule and decide whether we're being royally ripped off based on how long it takes and add in the RRP of the only consumable we know about - the pollen filter.

Wash and VAC was never in the scope of services for any of my Golfs/Polos/Sciroccos, it was just a "complimentary" thing the dealership could do if you didn't decline their gritty sponge, now they need to include it to look like they're doing something. If you decline the wash/vac/changing, should you expect a discount on the service price?
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
User avatar
Utumno
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:34 am
Location: Oxfordshire

Post by Utumno »

I was quite impressed with the sincerity of Tesla on this topic, as it happens. I appreciate they done have dealer networks to feed, but I honestly don’t think that’s my problem!

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/car-maintenance
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
plug_it_in_now
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:29 pm

Post by plug_it_in_now »

sghom thanks for all the effort you've gone to. I have ID3 First edition and have just been told my first service will be £310 pounds. Why dealerships give different prices escapes me. I was wondering if you have posted your final pdf of the works that were done as I would love to see this before I complain to the dealership. On another note I have got results contacting the Volkswagen CEO Office in the UK. They try and fob you off with lots of excuses about the appalling Software on our cars. But they may be useful to get info on the Pollen filter and oil change as they will go back to manufacturing for answers. The email is executive.office_at_volkswagen.co.uk
Chris R
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:10 pm

Post by Chris R »

VW call centre contacted me to book my 1st Edition in for its 2 year service, quoted £288. I asked for a cost breakdown for the work to be done, when he said changing the cabin filter was £84 I told him to forget it!

Changed the pollen filter myself, 30 seconds and £14 for the filter. Checked with my local regular independent garage, yes, all his technicians are fully trained to work on EVs and they have the software for the service. Quoted me £54 inc VAT, the only consumable being brake fluid.

Service completed successfully but despite their best efforts they were unable to reset the ‘service due’ message which pops up every time the car is switched on, the link for the reset is ‘greyed out’ in the software. The local VW dealership told me they are not allowed to reset it, even if the service had been carried out by another dealership.

Anyone out there know how to do the reset, it’s not really a problem for us but how will we know when the next service is due?
steviebabes
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:42 am

Post by steviebabes »

We had an offer of 1st service at 2 years and MOT at 3 years for £199. This was back in November when we had the new battery and 2,4 software. We took this up at the time as I didn't think it was too bad. It seemed like a special VW offer not the dealers.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
Scratch
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Post by Scratch »

steviebabes wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:02 pm We had an offer of 1st service at 2 years and MOT at 3 years for £199. This was back in November when we had the new battery and 2,4 software. We took this up at the time as I didn't think it was too bad. It seemed like a special VW offer not the dealers.
I held off on that offer at the time, as our car had issues I wanted sorting out before spending more money with VW.
That backfired on me! The issues were sorted out (for now), the offer was withdrawn and now they want £338 for the same deal.
the.kes
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:13 am
Location: Peak District

Post by the.kes »

steviebabes wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:02 pm We had an offer of 1st service at 2 years and MOT at 3 years for £199. This was back in November when we had the new battery and 2,4 software. We took this up at the time as I didn't think it was too bad. It seemed like a special VW offer not the dealers.
Got offered the same deal last week and took it up, £199 for service, first MOT and brake fluid change.
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
Scratch
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Post by Scratch »

the.kes wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:43 am
steviebabes wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:02 pm We had an offer of 1st service at 2 years and MOT at 3 years for £199. This was back in November when we had the new battery and 2,4 software. We took this up at the time as I didn't think it was too bad. It seemed like a special VW offer not the dealers.
Got offered the same deal last week and took it up, £199 for service, first MOT and brake fluid change.
Last week? Who made that offer, if I might ask? If I put my reg into the VW website, it gives me a price of £338.
Sherlock
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed May 26, 2021 4:36 pm

Post by Sherlock »

I had my first ID.3 service the week before last. I asked how much it would be before I booked it in and they said £220 which I went with. Would have tried to get it for £199 if I had read the posts above, but I knew £220 was quite a bit less than I had seen others say previously.

What they actually did for that money I have no idea - all of Arnold Clark's IT systems are down and have been since before Xmas due to a cyber attack and they were not able to give me the normal paperwork you would get. Apparently they will email this to me once they get their systems back. I am not holding my breath...
mediaguy
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:18 pm

Post by mediaguy »

Scratch wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:53 am Last week? Who made that offer, if I might ask? If I put my reg into the VW website, it gives me a price of £338.
I wrote to the dealer "I keep seeing £199 offers on the forum, can I get that offer" and the servicing department sent me a special link that reduced the price.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
the.kes
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:13 am
Location: Peak District

Post by the.kes »

Scratch wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:53 am
the.kes wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:43 am
steviebabes wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:02 pm We had an offer of 1st service at 2 years and MOT at 3 years for £199. This was back in November when we had the new battery and 2,4 software. We took this up at the time as I didn't think it was too bad. It seemed like a special VW offer not the dealers.
Got offered the same deal last week and took it up, £199 for service, first MOT and brake fluid change.
Last week? Who made that offer, if I might ask? If I put my reg into the VW website, it gives me a price of £338.
Vertu Mansfield
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
Post Reply