Reduced Range

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Iansjh

Post by Iansjh »

HI, I know range has been discussed before, and that the car adjusts how far it thinks you can go based on previous driving, however my range has suddenly dropped, with no change of driving or circumstances.
I charged to 80% as normal on Thursday, the App showed a range of 202 miles ( a little less than usual, but not dramatically so). Got in the car to take my daughter to the train station and the range in the car showed 190 miles. Drove the 5 mile round trip (through town) and the range dropped to 176 miles, but the charge showed 90% ! There wasn't that much regen.
Used the car as usual throughout the weekend and seemed to be losing range hand over fist. Plugged in last night with range at 90 miles and charge at 49%. Car set to charge to 80%. Got up this morning App shows 80% and 176 miles, car shows 86% and 166 miles.
Air con is only used occasionally, lights first thing in the morning and radio always on. My daily commute is 20 miles each way mostly at 50mph (roadworks) with a short stretch of dual carriageway. My average miles/kw is 4.02. The car is a Life Pro Performance, with heat pump.
Any ideas why there is such a discrepancy between the App and the car, and why the car seems to be overcharging (or thinking it has more charge than normal)? and where have my 40 odd miles suddenly gone
Thanks all

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If your state of charge hasn't dropped (%), but the range has, something has made the car anticipate a higher energy consumption for the journey you're doing, whether that be putting the aircon on, the heating on, driving style, external temperature changes.

Something odd going on with your charging though. If the car is set not to charge to more than 80%, it shouldn't charge to more than 80% - the charger should not override this. Mine never has.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

The app gets it's data from VW, which is pushed to VW by the car - the app will show what the car last pushed, so they don't always match.

Believe the car, not the app.

If the car "overcharged" I would guess you're using a "location" with a schedule set for charging.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

As others have mentioned, believe the car.

We've a fair few KM on ours now and the range prediction from the car is increasingly accurate - especially if it's a hot day / cooler day / cold day - it is very clever. The car Satnav feature of telling us we can't get home is something we check before we use a proper satnav, it's clever and accurate.

Scott mentioned "location" - that's where I'd look, your description of charging is somewhat bizarre.
Iansjh

Post by Iansjh »

I appreciate the feedback. The only location set is home. There are no set times for charging either on the car, the App or the Podpoint. The only thing that is/was different is that I had an update flash up on the screen, on Friday, but I didn't see what it was for. I do believe the car, but don't know why I've lost 40 miles of predicted range. As I said my long term average is over 4 m/kw. Thank you for your thoughts.
Deleted User 192

If you've not set a timer for the location, just delete the location. That should mean the car only uses the % set on the Charging screen, there should be nothing else to confuse it.

As for your "loss" of range, if you checked it yesterday afternoon when it was 25 degrees then first thing this morning when it was 15 degrees, that would be at least part of the reason.

At the end of the day, the mileage is a guess, your % is what really matters as the car has no idea what type of driving you'll do next, whether you'll have a headwind or tailwind, what will happen to the temperature, and so on...
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Anduain wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:17 pm As others have mentioned, believe the car.

We've a fair few KM on ours now and the range prediction from the car is increasingly accurate - especially if it's a hot day / cooler day / cold day - it is very clever. The car Satnav feature of telling us we can't get home is something we check before we use a proper satnav, it's clever and accurate.

Scott mentioned "location" - that's where I'd look, your description of charging is somewhat bizarre.
Ahhh... so can the car satnav tell you what your estimated charge will be at your destination? I saw there is a switch for somethign like this but couldnt see it displayed anywhere... tips welcome!
Deleted User 192

MotMot wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:07 pm Ahhh... so can the car satnav tell you what your estimated charge will be at your destination? I saw there is a switch for somethign like this but couldnt see it displayed anywhere... tips welcome!

The ABRP app does that, and if you subscribe to ABRP Premium it then works via Apple CarPlay.

The built-in nav map can put in shadow places it feels are beyond your range, zoom the map out to see the effect. It goes a bit crazy near coastlines though.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:07 pm
MotMot wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:07 pm Ahhh... so can the car satnav tell you what your estimated charge will be at your destination? I saw there is a switch for somethign like this but couldnt see it displayed anywhere... tips welcome!

The ABRP app does that, and if you subscribe to ABRP Premium it then works via Apple CarPlay.

The built-in nav map can put in shadow places it feels are beyond your range, zoom the map out to see the effect. It goes a bit crazy near coastlines though.
Yes - got ABRP, but it only dynamically changes the range/end SOC if you link via Tronity. And the link seems really flakey for me for some reason. I have to unlink and re-link the car each time I use it.... no idea why...
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

MotMot wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:07 pm
Anduain wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:17 pm As others have mentioned, believe the car.

Ahhh... so can the car satnav tell you what your estimated charge will be at your destination? I saw there is a switch for somethign like this but couldnt see it displayed anywhere... tips welcome!
It's not clever enough for that, just a "you can't get there" alert.

I use ABRP as Scott mentions too. For me it is worth the subs.
Deleted User 192

MotMot wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:08 pm
scott28tt wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:07 pm

Yes - got ABRP, but it only dynamically changes the range/end SOC if you link via Tronity. And the link seems really flakey for me for some reason. I have to unlink and re-link the car each time I use it.... no idea why...

You asked about estimated, rather than dynamic ;)
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

:D I'd hope (assumed) that might be what happened in the VW nav (as it can access all that info! I'd hope!)