ID3 folding door mirrors , scratch marks on swivel joint.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Twocats

Post by Twocats » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:14 pm

Has anybody else got scratching on the surface of the door mirror swivel joint?.
. I have only had my car a week, and the marks are clearly visible when they are in the folded position.

453FB144-7185-4BE8-9CF7-33383DBECA17.png

Id3 door mirror joint marks on metal when folded

Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:36 pm

Mine are similar; but I don't think they are scratch marks. Think about it; if they were scratches they would form an arc, prescribed by the rotational movement of the mirror units. I think they're part of the manufacturing process.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:08 pm

Reject the car. If there are any cosmetic rust marks on the unseen door stays too then definitely reject the car. :lol:

Slightly rough machining marks for the (relatively).smooth surface. These alloy inserts are better than the alternative - plastic on plastic pivoting with horrendous creaking and cracking as they rub over each other when folding or unfolding - my Polo and Golf had that

As Raxocorico says, directionality not as per pivoting action of the mirror mechanism.

I have 2 ID3s, 1 has almost mirror like alloy inserts, the other have machine marks like yours. Both feel smooth.