Android Auto - Hands Free 'Play My Messages'

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Peter Pan Pan

Post by Peter Pan Pan »

Had the car a few months now. Initially, when I pressed the voice button on the steering wheel, I could say "play my messages" or "read me my whatsapp messages" etc. and it would read them out. However, when I ask the same thing now, it always says there are no new messages, even when there are clearly new messages. I can still use the infotainment screen by pressing the Android Auto button and navigating to the Whatsapp App button to play my messages manually, but the integrated voice request to do the same no longer works. Shame, was much easier and safer that way.

Anyone else noticed this or have any suggestions?

Thanks
2021 ID3 Family Pro | Moonstone Grey | 4 wheels and a steering wheel

Peter Pan Pan

Post by Peter Pan Pan »

Problem finally solved after reading through the delightful in car help manual. If you LONG press the mic button on the steering wheel it connects via Android Auto (or presumably whatever the Apple one is too) directly to my phone's Google assistant and it will play my messages through the Infotainment system. If you SHORT press the mic button, the request goes directly to the Infotainment system which always says there are no messages as it clearly can't interrogate my phone that way. Odd logic (again) as what other way would you be able to send messages to the car that it would know about?! Anyway, one more little iD3 frustration solved.
2021 ID3 Family Pro | Moonstone Grey | 4 wheels and a steering wheel
EVOWNER101

Post by EVOWNER101 »

Thanks for posting an answer. That would have bugged the stuffing out of me for sure…..
Current EV: ID.3 Tour Pro S :D
Previous EV: VW EGolf (Sep2019)
Date Ordered: 01/11/2021 :(
Date Finally Delivered: 15/03/2023 :shock:
Deal Honoured: :!: :?: :|
Dealership: Herritage Gl :? :roll: but love the individual people.
Fergus

Post by Fergus »

Great heads up - not yet ordered my car, but when I do I'll try to remember that 7 months later when it arrives!
Ordered 11 Jan 22,
Order number 3159****
Family pro performance , Kings Red, assist pk plus, Derry.
build history:
Aug22 Code 20, build week of 46
mid Oct 22 Code 20, week 16
mid Dec 22 Code 10, week 12
19 Dec 22 Code 10, week 10
26 April 2023, delivered
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Yep, a short press makes the in-car system listen, a long press makes your phone listen (via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto) - it’s always worked like that.
fatman

Post by fatman »

how to swich off android auto while you driving from android auto app cant work out how?
Max PRO Moonstone Grey August 2021. Software v3.2 [dealership]
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

fatman wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:46 pm how to swich off android auto while you driving from android auto app cant work out how?

What do you want to “switch off” exactly, and why?

With Apple CarPlay there’s a VW icon you can press to go to a screen where you can disconnect the CarPlay session - I assume there’s an equivalent with Android Auto.