Condensation and water droplets inside headlight

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
snagglepuss

Post by snagglepuss »

Hello,
I've just noticed water droplets in the nearside iD Matrix headlight housing (see photo)
I telephoned the dealer and they told me they would need to check with VW HQ to see if it is covered by warranty. The car is eleven months old.
Has anyone else got this problem?
Thanks

iD3 Headlight.jpg

[/img]
iD3 1st edition Plus 58kWh Glacier White Metallic - Black Roof

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

There'll be breather holes in the casing to stop the housing imploding or exploding (not like a bomb, but enough to rupture the hiusing) with temp changes. Occasionally the rubber grommets that seal the electrical connections to the headlight aren't seated properly, or you have people blasting their cars with a power washer and water gets where itdhouldn't. Not really a problem with halogen or Xenon bulbs that generate enough heat to evaporate the vapour,but LED just don't get that hot.

Probably a warranty claim unless they strongly suspect a cause like impact damage.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
snagglepuss

Post by snagglepuss »

Thanks for that, The one thing I can safely say is that I've never used a pressure washer (I don't like them) I wonder will the condensation evaporate eventually, anyway I've it booked in with the dealer on 8th October.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

snagglepuss wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:55 pm Hello,
I've just noticed water droplets in the nearside iD Matrix headlight housing (see photo)
I telephoned the dealer and they told me they would need to check with VW HQ to see if it is covered by warranty. The car is eleven months old.
Thanks iD3 Headlight.jpg[/img]
What on earth do they mean by "to see if it is covered by warranty"? It's within the warranty period for god's sake! Did they deliver the car with water in the headlights? Are the headlights a repository for the screenwash? I am beginning to wonder if VW have learnt anything from dieselgate?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:30 am
What on earth do they mean by "to see if it is covered by warranty"? It's within the warranty period for god's sake! Did they deliver the car with water in the headlights? Are the headlights a repository for the screenwash? I am beginning to wonder if VW have learnt anything from dieselgate?
There is tge possibility that the housing is cracked from an impact e.g something tall with overhang gently backed into the headlight, cracking the housing.

Highly unlikely, but not impossible. Hopefully it'll be an obvious cause like incorrect sealing grommet assembly or similar allowing water in.

VW UK will be expecting the dealership to inspect and appraise for authorisation to repair or replace.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:44 am
Scratch wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:30 am
There is tge possibility that the housing is cracked from an impact e.g something tall with overhang gently backed into the headlight, cracking the housing.

Highly unlikely, but not impossible. Hopefully it'll be an obvious cause like incorrect sealing grommet assembly or similar allowing water in.
Then doesn't the dealer need to inspect the issue before referring it VW HQ?
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

it says 'they wouid need to check with VW HQ'
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Presumably they check the unit for assignable cause and then get the work authorised by VW UK who may also check if its a common issue etc?

snagglepuss

Post by snagglepuss »

Dropped the car to the dealers this morning and they have agreed to replace the complete headlight.
The new one will come from Germany and may take a week or so, anyway I'm relieved it will be rectified.
EV person

Post by EV person »

Hi. I also have water in my headlight. Left worse than right. When really bad causes a very diffuse beam. Was told could constitute a MOT failure. Took car to Lookers, Guildford. Was told the images I supplied were not taken “ at the correct angle” so VW would not considering replacing headlight units. I asked Lookers if they could send me the contact details of VW and the “ correct orientation “ of the photos needed. They send me information that states that condensation in the light is “ normal” .Could any one comment please?

C7F29620-E9C7-4906-9BDE-E91C03D5EC1E.jpeg

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

EV person wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:25 pm Hi. I also have water in my headlight. Left worse than right. When really bad causes a very diffuse beam. Was told could constitute a MOT failure. Took car to Lookers, Guildford. Was told the images I supplied were not taken “ at the correct angle” so VW would not considering replacing headlight units. I asked Lookers if they could send me the contact details of VW and the “ correct orientation “ of the photos needed. They send me information that states that condensation in the light is “ normal” .Could any one comment please?
They, VW or the dealer, are probably just trying to weasel out of paying for it. Normal for car dealers and manufacturers in my experience. I would persist with badgering them
EV person

Post by EV person »

Thanks for your comment. Is there a suggestion that this is a common ID 3 problem?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

EV person wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:25 pm Hi. I also have water in my headlight. Left worse than right. When really bad causes a very diffuse beam. Was told could constitute a MOT failure. Took car to Lookers, Guildford. Was told the images I supplied were not taken “ at the correct angle” so VW would not considering replacing headlight units. I asked Lookers if they could send me the contact details of VW and the “ correct orientation “ of the photos needed. They send me information that states that condensation in the light is “ normal” .Could any one comment please?
Definitely not normal. Some dealerships just don't like doing warranty work as VW only pay about £40 an hour for doing it. Take it to a different dealer and avoid that one in the future.

Ultimately its the supplying dealership you have to chase if VW UK won't do the work under warranty. If it comes to that, you light need a report from the AA or an MOT station to say the headlights as they are would not pass an MOT and are therefore unsuitable for use.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

It certainly isn't normal. The design of the headlamp lens, reflector and beam pattern is totally compromised with condensation. That is why it fails an MOT. I have only seen this on cars where a grommet or bulb seal has failed in the the rear of the lamp.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

I wonder which electrical fittings are specifically designed to allow water inside? Answer - none. Suspect missing or failed grommet or seal as mentioned above. However VW cover themselves by stating some items are subject to slightly different warranty rules and have an element of wear and tear related to driving style or external factors. See below:

"Items where the lifetime of the component is or can be influenced by driving style and external factors will only be considered under the terms of the warranty for a period of six months or 6,500 miles (whichever is soonest). Beyond that limit, the defects must be classified as wear and tear and will not be covered by the vehicle warranty unless a clear manufacturing defect is identified". Lamps and headlight adjustment are mentioned:

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... terms.html
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

EV person wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:34 am Thanks for your comment. Is there a suggestion that this is a common ID 3 problem?

Did you manage to get this sorted? I've just spotted exactly the same issue, so let's hope my local dealership don't want to play silly buggers.

It seems plainly apparent that this is a fault which should be fixed under warranty.

PXL_20220114_085052981.jpg

71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Scratch wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:30 am I am beginning to wonder if VW have learnt anything from dieselgate?
No they have not. They are defending dieselgate.
Then EGR failures after the software update.
I hope they lose big time.

Mechatronic failures as accumulator cracks. Worldwide recall except UK. VW just do not care.

VW are the worst car brand I have ever dealt with. Yet, my wife chose ID.3.

There will be so many issues. I dread to think!
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
Lundqvist_Zed

Post by Lundqvist_Zed »

Hi all, I've just read down this thread, most intriguing. The issue has happened on more than one vehicle and there is an assertion that it constitutes a failure of MOT. If the issue affects more than a certain percentage of vehicles surely there should be factory recall to replace the headlight units and address the root cause of the issue on all ID3s. If you have an accident because of poor visibility related to this then will VW end up in court?
LED lights are common on multiple vehicle models now, is this a problem elsewhere or unique to the ID range?
Ask for your dealer to provide details on the number of customers with the same issue, it might nudge their thinking. Or get onto Fully Charged or Which.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

It is clearly a problem on some vehicles but I don't think a few reports here is evidence enough to suggest a recall. What I found more a surprise is on one post a dealer had said its normal or acceptable when it clearly isn’t. It can only happen if a seal in the unit is poor and damp air can enters then condenses out on the inside in cold weather.
With LED lights there is little heat generated to assist in drying out a failed unit so any dodgy seals are soon noticed. They have to be covered by normal warranty.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

I think condensation in the headlights has happened on nearly every car I’ve owned.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten