Home charging speed

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Although now I have even less idea why vehicle batteries and household batteries are not drawing predictable current!
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

OP, have you got an economy 7 meter or something? I'm just wondering whether it's possible the current is taking a slightly different route to the charger at nighttime and if some component in that route could be limiting the current in some way.
It might be worth posting on the SpeakEV forum, it seems there are a couple of people on there who are pretty experienced electricians and post a lot on the chargers board.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Mandarinfish

Post by Mandarinfish »

sidehaas wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:45 pm OP, have you got an economy 7 meter or something? I'm just wondering whether it's possible the current is taking a slightly different route to the charger at nighttime and if some component in that route could be limiting the current in some way.
It might be worth posting on the SpeakEV forum, it seems there are a couple of people on there who are pretty experienced electricians and post a lot on the chargers board.
Good idea - I will do just that.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Much appreciated.
I suspect I may be embarking on a tortuous road to resolution, but I will report back on my findings.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS in Makena Turquoise
Heat Pump
Mandarinfish

Post by Mandarinfish »

Ok my issue is fixed.
It was the charger.
My installer told me it needed a software update to run at 32A overnight, for some reason.
Then it started to trip out after a period of charging.
This was solved by my installer fitting a 40A fuse, as the EO Mini Pro 2 is/was ‘sensitive’ with ID3s, so I was told.
All working perfectly now on scheduled charging via the EO app.
Many thanks to those who offered their advice and tried to help me solve this issue.
Your input is much appreciated
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS in Makena Turquoise
Heat Pump
VPatz232

Post by VPatz232 »

Mandarinfish wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:16 pm Ok my issue is fixed.
It was the charger.
My installer told me it needed a software update to run at 32A overnight, for some reason.
Then it started to trip out after a period of charging.
This was solved by my installer fitting a 40A fuse, as the EO Mini Pro 2 is/was ‘sensitive’ with ID3s, so I was told.
All working perfectly now on scheduled charging via the EO app.
Many thanks to those who offered their advice and tried to help me solve this issue.
Your input is much appreciated
Hi Mandarinfish,

I’d been keen to understand your home charging setup. I’m due to have an EO charger installed in the next couple of weeks and have been advised that there will be an isolator and an earthing unit fitted (assume Garo).

For info I have an 80A single phase supply, with a recently updated Hager dual-RCD consumer unit.

Many thanks.
VW ID.3 Max, Moonstone Grey, East Derry alloys
Order number: 3146#### [CANCELLED]
VW ID.4 Life Pure, Scale Silver [since March 2022]
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I have the same issue, most nights on octopus go I get 15kw total,however, if I am still awake after the charging starts and I turn off and then back on, most times it will switch to 7.3kwh and supply 30kw. No idea why?