RED WARNING LIGHT FLASHES UP ON MY DASH.. ( a shoe/boot with a star in a round circle )

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Wattos Wheels

Post by Wattos Wheels »

Does any1 know what the RED WARNING LIGHT FLASHES UP ON MY DASH.. ( SYMBOL = a shoe/boot with a star in a round circle) ???

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Front Assist detects a possible collision and prepares the vehicle for possible emergency braking.
An acoustic warning sounds and the red warning lamp lights up. Brake or take avoiding action.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
van

Post by van »

Had this happen a few times now. I assume because something has blown in front of a sensor?
First time it scared me witless. I'd slowed for people on a crossing, then as I accelerated afterwards the car slammed the anchors on.
The other times have been when driving at normal speeds on open roads.

Does my theory of wind blown debris sound right?
The car's looking a bit dusty perhaps a sensor wash is in order 8-0
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

If it's a front assist alert rather than a glitch then the ID light should light up red too (unless you've somehow turned off the ID light.) It's very very obvious, you couldn't miss it. (I've had it light up genuinely a couple of times when I was weaving between parked cars, but it never got to actually braking.)
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

You can change the sensitivity of this in the assist settings menu.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Collision Warning.PNG

Do you mean this..
van

Post by van »

MotMot wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:33 am You can change the sensitivity of this in the assist settings menu.
Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
van

Post by van »

Well I think I can answer my own question.
According to the manual Forward Assist uses both the sensors low down and a camera high on the windscreen. It's supposed to be able to detect cars, bicycles and pedestrians, so unlikely that a piece of something being blown in front of a sensor has caused the alerts I've had.
The manual does say that FA may not respond properly if the sensors/camera are dirty/damaged.
So I've been out with a bucket and sponge to give them a wipe, hopefully spurious alerts will go away.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
TimF

Post by TimF »

In my opinion, the Frontal Assist YOU'RE ABOUT TO CRASH INTO SOMETHING shows just how far artificial intelligence / machine learning needs to advance before fully-autonomous vehicles will be common on our roads. This feature as delivered should not be set up such that users feel a need to adjust its sensitivity in a settings menu. If it was an amber alert, maybe it would be OK, but a red warning suggests to the driver that something is wrong and needs to be put right IMMEDIATELY.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

TimF wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:54 am In my opinion, the Frontal Assist YOU'RE ABOUT TO CRASH INTO SOMETHING shows just how far artificial intelligence / machine learning needs to advance before fully-autonomous vehicles will be common on our roads. This feature as delivered should not be set up such that users feel a need to adjust its sensitivity in a settings menu. If it was an amber alert, maybe it would be OK, but a red warning suggests to the driver that something is wrong and needs to be put right IMMEDIATELY.
I disagree.
The whole point is that something needs to be done immediately because the system thinks there is a collision risk. It shouldn't be amber.
It's completely sensible that the sensitivity be adjustable, because some drivers have better reaction times than others and better tolerance for occasional warnings caused by their driving behaviour. Ultimately if you do not react to the warning and the system still believes there is going to be a collision, it should brake for you. I don't think that aspect is adjustable (unless you turn the system off.)
Like I said, I've had the warning come up a couple of times. Both times it was in valid circumstances due to the way I was driving. In reality there was no collision risk and I could take the decision to reduce the system sensitivity - but actually I'm happy with the minimal effect on me of two unnecessary warnings in nearly 3000 miles of driving and would prefer to leave the sensitivity higher so that I get more warning if I really do overlook something one day. Others might dislike the warnings and prefer to turn the sensitivity down.

For other reasons, I do however agree that autonomous vehicles are a long way off. Amongst which, my car's recent habit of detecting 80mph speed limits in 30 zones...but that's another topic.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:05 am
TimF wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:54 am In my opinion, the Frontal Assist YOU'RE ABOUT TO CRASH INTO SOMETHING shows just how far artificial intelligence / machine learning needs to advance before fully-autonomous vehicles will be common on our roads. This feature as delivered should not be set up such that users feel a need to adjust its sensitivity in a settings menu. If it was an amber alert, maybe it would be OK, but a red warning suggests to the driver that something is wrong and needs to be put right IMMEDIATELY.
I disagree.
The whole point is that something needs to be done immediately because the system thinks there is a collision risk. It shouldn't be amber.
It's completely sensible that the sensitivity be adjustable, because some drivers have better reaction times than others and better tolerance for occasional warnings caused by their driving behaviour. Ultimately if you do not react to the warning and the system still believes there is going to be a collision, it should brake for you. I don't think that aspect is adjustable (unless you turn the system off.)
Like I said, I've had the warning come up a couple of times. Both times it was in valid circumstances due to the way I was driving. In reality there was no collision risk and I could take the decision to reduce the system sensitivity - but actually I'm happy with the minimal effect on me of two unnecessary warnings in nearly 3000 miles of driving and would prefer to leave the sensitivity higher so that I get more warning if I really do overlook something one day. Others might dislike the warnings and prefer to turn the sensitivity down.

For other reasons, I do however agree that autonomous vehicles are a long way off. Amongst which, my car's recent habit of detecting 80mph speed limits in 30 zones...but that's another topic.
Yes. We get the 80mph thing in 30 limits. Perhaps VW have a deal with the cops!
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Scratch wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:39 am
I disagree.

Have you had it for a while? I've had it several times in the last 4-5 weeks but not before that so I wondered if it was due to errors in a recent map update. It can't be a series of 80mph sign posts :)
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:49 am
Scratch wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:39 am

I disagree.

Have you had it for a while? I've had it several times in the last 4-5 weeks but not before that so I wondered if it was due to errors in a recent map update. It can't be a series of 80mph sign posts :)
It's not happened much, maybe once or twice. It may have happened on the same stretch of road. I wasn't taking that much notice. Something is in the back of my mind (madness??) that the sensors may have been confused by a particular 30mph speed sign. The sign may have been very dirty and made the 3 look as if it was an 8. If you think about the letter 8, it could be made up of the number 3 and the number 3 reversed. Hope that makes sense? Or maybe it's the latest vandal ploy of making the number 3 into an 8?
TimF

Post by TimF »

I have left the sensitivity at default, and have had this warning come up more than half a dozen times. In one situation it was probably "reasonable". I was on a main rural road, approaching a bend to the right where a minor road continued straight ahead and had STOP lines across its exit, with a vehicle stationary at that line. As I started to turn the wheel to take the bend, the system clearly determined that I was veering to collide head-on with the stationary vehicle, and shouted at me. As the turn took effect (so the car was no longer pointing at the stationary vehicle) it shut up. I knew there was a stop line (and could see the back of the stop sign, and that the other vehicle was stationary), but it would have been difficult for the system to have that fuller awareness which would have changed the assessment from "danger" to "caution".

The three most recent false (or false-ish) alarms were: 1) as I braked to a halt at a mini-roundabout, 2) while driving along a straight road at a steady 30mph with the nearest vehicle so far ahead it didn't even show in the steering wheel console display (and with no junction within that distance), 3) while approaching a car parked mostly on the pavement. In none of those cases was there a need to brake harshly.

I'm reluctant to change the setting (and I'm sure my insurer will prefer that I leave the setting at default) as it's clearly a safety feature, and I'm not a perfect driver with perfect situational awareness: it's comforting that the car has the ability to achieve an emergency stop should I be insufficiently alert to what's ahead of me, and before that happens it will warn me that perhaps I ought to be doing something, I just wish the car was better at assessing that need.
Griff

Post by Griff »

I should stop reading this forum...... I read this thread a few days ago and then it happened to me the next morning!

It would seem to have picked up a speed hump as an obstacle. It was a one-off, I pass that way every day, just outside my workplace.
:: ID.3 Life Pro :: Manganese Grey :: East Derry Alloys :: Tow Hitch ::
January 2022.
Pod Point Solo 3 Home Charger.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

I've had this twice, under different circumstances.
The first time it happened was in a wide country lane, with a pedestrian walking along a grass verge. I knew I was nowhere near her, but the car thought otherwise!
The second time was approaching a stationary vehicle far too fast. I was on a single track road, and had to pull into a passing place rapidly. Often it’s not possible to see oncoming traffic until popping into a passing place is almost an emergency.
So now I’m fully aware of the level of safety measures on the car …
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
van

Post by van »

There are of course no 80mph roadsides AFAIK in the UK. Needs a bit more ai.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

van wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:31 pm There are of course no 80mph roadsides AFAIK in the UK. Needs a bit more ai.
Of course there aren't. It's just that the car didn't seem to know that, and started to accelerate. Software issue again.