Maximum charging capacity

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Clive47

Post by Clive47 »

I have an ID3 Pro 58Kwh battery.

I can charge using 50 KW chargers, but on Sunday tried to charge using a Gridserve 120KWh charger.

It wouldn't charge and said the car was preventing the charge. I assume this was because it exceeded the maximum of !00 that the car is supposed to take.
I thought that the car would be able to use higher power chargers but would only take charge at a lower rate.
Can anybody explain what is happening as if new chargers are installed which charge at anything over 100 my car is going to be of limited use when I am out and about.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

You're right, it should work.

I've used a 350kW Ionity and the car pulled at about 70kW - the start % was too high for it to pull any higher.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Sounds to me like a case of 'unplug and replug'. I have used Ionity regularly and got up to 126.5kW nominal charge. The chargers can dial down to the maximum technical capacity of the ID.3 - as there isn't a vehicle now that can take 350kW they have to be able to.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Clive47 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:47 am I have an ID3 Pro 58Kwh battery.

I can charge using 50 KW chargers, but on Sunday tried to charge using a Gridserve 120KWh charger.

It wouldn't charge and said the car was preventing the charge. I assume this was because it exceeded the maximum of !00 that the car is supposed to take.
I thought that the car would be able to use higher power chargers but would only take charge at a lower rate.
Can anybody explain what is happening as if new chargers are installed which charge at anything over 100 my car is going to be of limited use when I am out and about.
The charger is faulty thats all.

The Gridserve chargers are badged at 120kw but are limited to 60kw at the moment.

For a variety of reasons - but in summary they were put in quickly to replace the useless (nearly) ecotricity ones that were there before. Once they have been replaced Gridserve plan to upgrade sites to allow the chargers to do the full 120kw AND to allow charging from both connectors at once.

I've had this before on a Gridserve - and just moved to the '120kw' charger next door and got 50-60kw out of it. The car will limit the rate of charge it can take - so even if you plug into a 350kw ionity charger it will only pull a max of 125kw if you are (a) lucky, (b) have a near empty battery and (c) your battery is warm and (d) you have a newer id3 or a tour that can take 125kw. Most I've seen on mine is 91kw when my battery was at 14% and warm after a motorway drive.

The car won't reject the charger because it is too powerful - it will limit the charger and charge what it can take.