Tyre inflating via 12v socket

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Mandarinfish

Post by Mandarinfish »

Apologies if this subject has been raised before but..,
I’ve just discovered my tyre inflator that plugs into a 12v socket ( ie the one in the boot) has a cable length that won’t reach the front tyres.
This is irritating as all my other vehicles have had 12v sockets in/near the centre console which has enabled me to reach all 4 tyres.
Small issue I know, but has anybody else had this problem, and how did they solve it (an extension lead perhaps)?.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS in Makena Turquoise
Heat Pump

Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

I had the same problem!
Decided to bite the bullet and got this:
Note that this price doesn't include a battery or charger!

Inflation.png

Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Similar problem but found by trailing cable through tge car it reached

A pain throwing over the back seat but worked for me!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Foot pump.

Had one for years, fits in the space below the boot liner.
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

I got a curly extension lead, which doesn't take up much space when not in use. But try to get a good quality one. Mine is nearly on full stretch to get to the front near-side wheel and I've already had to do a solder job on the socket.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Mandarinfish

Post by Mandarinfish »

Thanks everyone.
I shall try Hoppys method first and see how I get on.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS in Makena Turquoise
Heat Pump
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I just use an electronic pressure gauge and should there be a discrepancy I take it to my local garage and spend 50p and that's despite having a compressor in the garage.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Mandarinfish wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:41 pm Apologies if this subject has been raised before but..,
I’ve just discovered my tyre inflator that plugs into a 12v socket ( ie the one in the boot) has a cable length that won’t reach the front tyres.
This is irritating as all my other vehicles have had 12v sockets in/near the centre console which has enabled me to reach all 4 tyres.
Small issue I know, but has anybody else had this problem, and how did they solve it (an extension lead perhaps)?.
I know it’s not the answer but has anyone queried this with VW? Is the tyre inflator fit for purpose? Maybe they would say take the front wheel off and take it to the back of the car?
Deleted User 192

Scratch wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:36 pm I know it’s not the answer but has anyone queried this with VW? Is the tyre inflator fit for purpose? Maybe they would say take the front wheel off and take it to the back of the car?

VW don't supply an inflator, everyone who has replied about having one will have their own (including me with my foot pump!)
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

scott28tt wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:29 pm
Scratch wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:36 pm I know it’s not the answer but has anyone queried this with VW? Is the tyre inflator fit for purpose? Maybe they would say take the front wheel off and take it to the back of the car?

VW don't supply an inflator, everyone who has replied about having one will have their own (including me with my foot pump!)
Am I missing something here? There is a tyre inflator in my ID3 boot. To use when you get a puncture along with the goo.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

The emergency inflator supplied with my Life was not suitable for regular use, said my Dealer.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:34 pm

Am I missing something here? There is a tyre inflator in my ID3 boot. To use when you get a puncture along with the goo.
18" wheel owners get one, with the bottle of gunk, not sure if 19/20" wheels with self sealing tyres get one.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
smuj

Post by smuj »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:37 pm

18" wheel owners get one, with the bottle of gunk, not sure if 19/20" wheels with self sealing tyres get one.
No. One or the other.

Noticed in the latest brochure that the East Derry wheels supposedly come with self sealing tyres now but not the steel wheels. Not sure if this is another mistake in the brochure or not. Time will tell.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

19/20" self-sealers don't get the gunk can iirc. I'm not expecting one as standard with our Tour.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Raxacorico wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:35 pm The emergency inflator supplied with my Life was not suitable for regular use, said my Dealer.
I didn't mean for regular use. You still have to pump up a punctured / repaired with goo, tyre.
Deleted User 192

I have 19", apologies for the confusion :oops:
Jim24

Post by Jim24 »

Has anybody realised that the 12v socket in the boot is only powered when you are sitting in the driving seat with foot on brake. Not much use if you are alone and need to use the tyre inflator or am I missing something.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Jim24 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:48 pm Has anybody realised that the 12v socket in the boot is only powered when you are sitting in the driving seat with foot on brake. Not much use if you are alone and need to use the tyre inflator or am I missing something.
Yes - that's what the on/off button on the steering column is for.
I have used a pump plugged in to the boot to check all four tyres.
Last edited by sidehaas on Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

Yes, you are missing something. You need to turn the ignition on and leave the keys in the car. You can then carry on with pumping up the tyres.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

Plug seat belt in, keys on seat and press the start button, I know I have had 3 new tyres in 5000 miles, also the pump will reach the front tyres if you go through the inside of the car.
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro