3 new faults today. Help!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

mish wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:40 am
G43FAN wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:35 am In order to implement a messaging system VW would have had to code that into the software in multiple languages with various iterations already, or they would have had to send an update to allow the message prior to the update!! Whether they should have done that isn't up for debate as they didn't Instead they chose to use the existing coding which tells you something is unavailable, almost the same as if you are in Snow or other conditions which block the camera view. (Get used to these messages in Winter if my previous VW is anything to go by)
They then informed people via an email which you had to accept in order to proceed. If people didn't read the email, which it is obvious a lot of people didn't bother, then I don't see how those same people can moan about the way this is implemented.
I also think this is a British issue.. we're looking for someone to say 'Excuse me Sir, terribly sorry but there will be an update shortly, there will be some minor inconvenience and some messages, nothing to worry about, cup of tea Guvnor?'.
I am a German software developer and I do not think it's a "British issue". I honestly think the way they have communicated this is not up to standards. Fair enough if the update runs in the background. Fine that there was an email.
I think it's simply an awful user experience to separate the "warning" from the "system" it is meant for, especially if pushing a message to the car could be part of the update procedure. It's really not a difficult technological problem. It's just poor software design and not good enough. I am pretty sure VW is aware that this can be improved and I am hoping for a better experience in the future.
To be clear, I am not defending the way it's been implemented I also agree that it is awful, but it is what it is. My frustrated comment is more aimed at the plethora of threads here and on Facebook saying
'Oh my God, no one warned us this was going to happen!' - They did.
'This is so dangerous' - No it's not they are assistance systems, if you NEED them to drive a car you shouldn't have a licence.

Followed immediately by an almost identical post regurgitating the same comments/questions. Maybe it's an experience thing, I tend to go onto a forum and do a quick search to see if anything similar already exists in discussions. Having used a good deal of forums for many many years it was standard etiquette. But these days people just seem to start a new thread although there is an element of thread hijacking too. (which I really hate)
Mind you the Search on this layout is well out of the way.

Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

mish wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:40 am
G43FAN wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:35 am In order to implement a messaging system VW would have had to code that into the software in multiple languages with various iterations already, or they would have had to send an update to allow the message prior to the update!! Whether they should have done that isn't up for debate as they didn't Instead they chose to use the existing coding which tells you something is unavailable, almost the same as if you are in Snow or other conditions which block the camera view. (Get used to these messages in Winter if my previous VW is anything to go by)
They then informed people via an email which you had to accept in order to proceed. If people didn't read the email, which it is obvious a lot of people didn't bother, then I don't see how those same people can moan about the way this is implemented.
I also think this is a British issue.. we're looking for someone to say 'Excuse me Sir, terribly sorry but there will be an update shortly, there will be some minor inconvenience and some messages, nothing to worry about, cup of tea Guvnor?'.
I am a German software developer and I do not think it's a "British issue". I honestly think the way they have communicated this is not up to standards. Fair enough if the update runs in the background. Fine that there was an email.
I think it's simply an awful user experience to separate the "warning" from the "system" it is meant for, especially if pushing a message to the car could be part of the update procedure. It's really not a difficult technological problem. It's just poor software design and not good enough. I am pretty sure VW is aware that this can be improved and I am hoping for a better experience in the future.
Well said
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

If this thread is still related to faults, I got a new one today. Driving in darkish daytime conditions, the lights were on auto and switched on, as I would expect them to be. I then get an error saying there was a problem with the lights. The lights stayed on but the auto sign disappeared. There was a lighting error symbol in the driver instrument screen. Doing the old "turn it off and back on again" seemed to clear it up but this software is surely flakey, to say the least.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Scratch wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:07 pm If this thread is still related to faults, I got a new one today. Driving in darkish daytime conditions, the lights were on auto and switched on, as I would expect them to be. I then get an error saying there was a problem with the lights. The lights stayed on but the auto sign disappeared. There was a lighting error symbol in the driver instrument screen. Doing the old "turn it off and back on again" seemed to clear it up but this software is surely flakey, to say the least.

Mine has been on 2.3 for 2 months and hasn't skipped a beat.
Yossa

Post by Yossa »

Scratch wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:07 pm If this thread is still related to faults, I got a new one today. Driving in darkish daytime conditions, the lights were on auto and switched on, as I would expect them to be. I then get an error saying there was a problem with the lights. The lights stayed on but the auto sign disappeared. There was a lighting error symbol in the driver instrument screen. Doing the old "turn it off and back on again" seemed to clear it up but this software is surely flakey, to say the least.
Happened to me twice
Csutton15

Post by Csutton15 »

Hi George, I have exactly the same problem, did the garage manage to sort you out? I can’t get booked in until Dec 1st so it sounds like they have a few issues!
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Csutton15 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:04 pm Hi George, I have exactly the same problem, did the garage manage to sort you out? I can’t get booked in until Dec 1st so it sounds like they have a few issues!
The most likely explanation for these faults is that the 2,3 Update is downloading!
Deleted User 192

Csutton15 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:04 pm Hi George, I have exactly the same problem, did the garage manage to sort you out? I can’t get booked in until Dec 1st so it sounds like they have a few issues!

Are you certain that the warnings on your car are not related to the 2.3 software update?
Csutton15

Post by Csutton15 »

They probably are but I have had no messages to say that 2.3 has started (apart from the original email which I clicked through to agree). The problem has been there for around 2 weeks and i have also had an email saying the vehicle has been disconnected from the app and I keep getting an error message when trying to reconnect
Deleted User 192

Csutton15 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:04 pm They probably are but I have had no messages to say that 2.3 has started (apart from the original email which I clicked through to agree). The problem has been there for around 2 weeks and i have also had an email saying the vehicle has been disconnected from the app and I keep getting an error message when trying to reconnect

Anything shown in Settings > System information > Updates?

Nothing being offered to install on the "goodbye" screen?

If not, might be purely coincidental that 2.3 part 1 causes this behaviour and you actually have a fault on your hands.
Csutton15

Post by Csutton15 »

Thanks, nothing else showing so will just have to wait until Dec 1st!