3 new faults today. Help!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
stevelar

Post by stevelar »

Hi,

My ID-3 has thrown three faults today whilst driving around town (all out of the blue) and I would appreciate some advice on how to solve them.

1. "Front Assist Availability is Limited"
2. "Error: Dynamic Road Sign Display"
3. "Lane Assist is Currently Unavailable"

The windscreen is clean around the camera and the VW logo on the front grille (where I think the radar sensor is) is also pretty clean.

Would a factory reset help or would that have far-reaching consequences?!

Thanks,

20211012_155457.jpg

20211012_155411.jpg

20211012_155408.jpg

2021 ID-3 Style 58kW Pro Performance 204PS, East Derry Alloys, Heat Pump in Glacier White Metallic

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Have you agreed to receive the 2.3 update? Have you checked Settings > System information to see if there is an update available for download?
stevelar

Post by stevelar »

Thanks. Just checked and you're right. A software update was waiting to be downloaded. So I tapped "Install" and it said it was going to do it when the car was turned off. Not sure how long it takes (any ideas?). Also, would that explain all the errors, or will they likely return after the update?!!
2021 ID-3 Style 58kW Pro Performance 204PS, East Derry Alloys, Heat Pump in Glacier White Metallic
mish

Post by mish »

stevelar wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:16 pm Thanks. Just checked and you're right. A software update was waiting to be downloaded. So I tapped "Install" and it said it was going to do it when the car was turned off. Not sure how long it takes (any ideas?). Also, would that explain all the errors, or will they likely return after the update?!!
Could it be that the sensor systems for those assists are clogged up maybe? See

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

There are a few videos on the subject circulating. I've not upgraded yet but from watching the videos these warnings are normal and "of course" will go away.

"of. course" because #murphy
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

stevelar wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:16 pm Thanks. Just checked and you're right. A software update was waiting to be downloaded. So I tapped "Install" and it said it was going to do it when the car was turned off. Not sure how long it takes (any ideas?). Also, would that explain all the errors, or will they likely return after the update?!!
The email you received to gain your agreement for the OTA had the details of the camera-based driver assistance systems that will not be available from the start fo the download until after the update install (e.g. Lane Assist, Travel Assist,...)
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

I had exactly this driving home today! Probably 30 seconds or so after all the warnings, I got a popup notifying me of the software update.

Fortunately I'd seen discussions about these warnings, and as others have said, the email from VW did indicate that assist systems would be degraded during the installation, but the process could have been better (e.g. if you got an in-car notification before all the assist systems go offline!)
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
mish

Post by mish »

What's somewhat worrisome is that those problems happened before the confirmation of the install. Sounds like the background process for the update was already kicking things off before you got notified. Unless you confirmed by mistake and forgot about it?
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

That sounds like you might have the 2.3 OTA update incoming.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Well, I've had the e-mail, and confirmed I'd like the update.
Yesterday I had the orange warning "Front Assist availability is limited", but not the "Dynamic Road Sign Display" as we're not in an area covered by that.
The warning came on as I travelled into our local village (to pick up my wife), then they disappeared just as quickly.
Happened again on the way back home too - but no downloading, or advice to install when I got out of the car!
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

I can confirm 100% that there was no update or notification from the car before all the assist warnings started going off.

If memory serves me correctly, the email from VW did did say that the assist systems would be unavailable as soon as the update started to download (rather than when it started to install). Evidently the download started in the background without any intervention or notification.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Deleted User 192

So that’s part 1, it is supposed to take 30 minutes to install.

You shouldn’t see those errors again. Including when part 2 downloads and installs.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

TheJimster wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:59 pm I had exactly this driving home today! Probably 30 seconds or so after all the warnings, I got a popup notifying me of the software update.

Fortunately I'd seen discussions about these warnings, and as others have said, the email from VW did indicate that assist systems would be degraded during the installation, but the process could have been better (e.g. if you got an in-car notification before all the assist systems go offline!)
I think I have just experienced this too. Got into my car and was checking a few messages on phone before setting off and after a few minutes got the warning messages. No prior indication that an update was available or was downloading - just the error messages.

If I wasn't on this forum I wouldn't have thought to check System Updates on the infotainment system, but having done so I found that a download was in progress. Once the download finished I got a message saying I could 'complete my journey' and 'the update' would be available to download when I switched off the car. Had to drive home without front assist/lane assist etc. (why can't these work when a download is happening? I could understand why during the install, but the download?), and having switched off the car I assume the update is currently happening. No information on what the update is but presumably 2.3 part one.
I am really not impressed by any of this, and having leased my car initially expecting to change in a couple of years to another (hopefully improved) ID.3 my current feelings are that I will be seriously considering alternatives unless things change dramatically on the software and update process front. Especially as I am not even aware of anything that's in the 2.3 update that is actually a huge benefit to have.
PS - anyone actually using the We-Charge app??
Deleted User 192

Sherlock wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:15 pm If I wasn't on this forum I wouldn't have thought to check System Updates on the infotainment system, but having done so I found that a download was in progress. Once the download finished I got a message saying I could 'complete my journey' and 'the update' would be available to download when I switched off the car. Had to drive home without front assist/lane assist etc. (why can't these work when a download is happening? I could understand why during the install, but the download?), and having switched off the car I assume the update is currently happening. No information on what the update is but presumably 2.3 part one.
I am really not impressed by any of this, and having leased my car initially expecting to change in a couple of years to another (hopefully improved) ID.3 my current feelings are that I will be seriously considering alternatives unless things change dramatically on the software and update process front. Especially as I am not even aware of anything that's in the 2.3 update that is actually a huge benefit to have.

Presumably you read the 2.3 information?

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... e-2-3.html

Mine was done before they created that page, I expected they would have included a link to it in the emails sent asking for update approval.
mish

Post by mish »

scott28tt wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:31 pm
Sherlock wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:15 pm If I wasn't on this forum I wouldn't have thought to check System Updates on the infotainment system, but having done so I found that a download was in progress. Once the download finished I got a message saying I could 'complete my journey' and 'the update' would be available to download when I switched off the car. Had to drive home without front assist/lane assist etc. (why can't these work when a download is happening? I could understand why during the install, but the download?), and having switched off the car I assume the update is currently happening. No information on what the update is but presumably 2.3 part one.

Mine was done before they created that page, I expected they would have included a link to it in the emails sent asking for update approval.
Aha, so nothing wrong then. Fair enough, the process has been explained on the info page. The terminology is still confusing since a download should not mess with the state of the current system. They could at least highlight this fact in a better way.
During the process of updating the front camera for driver assist systems, the camera-based driver assistance systems (e.g. Lane Assist, Travel Assist, ...) are not available for safety reasons from the start of the download to the completion of the installation.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

scott28tt wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:31 pm

Thanks Scott28tt. Yes I did read that, but it was quite a few weeks ago and I had kind of forgotten about the 2.3 update as it has been talked about for so long that I wondered if it was ever going to appear.

I also hadn't really picked up that the assist systems would be unavailable from the start of the download, rather than the start of the install although I now see that it did say that in the information. I can't see why its is necessary to disable them if all that is happening at that point is a download though?

I also had (incorrectly) expected that there would be a message in car before any element of the download/install began.

I was parked when the warnings about the assist systems started pinging away, but it would have been very distracting if I had been driving at the time.

So I still think there is room for a lot of improvement in the way these updates happen and are communicated. It all seems a bit amateur and poorly designed/thought out to me. Even when the download was happening and there was a bar moving across the screen presumably to indicate download progress the screen also displayed '0 of 0 MB downloaded' the whole time.
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

I agree with everything you've said there!

Even though I knew that the assistance systems would be unavailable from the point the download started (though like you I can't see why that should be the case), for everything to kick off in-car without any prior notification is far from ideal.
Deleted User 192

Everyone who greed to the 2.3 update could have read the article I posted, if so I’m not sure what’s surprising about the actual behaviour.
George.S

Post by George.S »

stevelar wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:35 pm Hi,

My ID-3 has thrown three faults today whilst driving around town (all out of the blue) and I would appreciate some advice on how to solve them.

1. "Front Assist Availability is Limited"
2. "Error: Dynamic Road Sign Display"
3. "Lane Assist is Currently Unavailable"

The windscreen is clean around the camera and the VW logo on the front grille (where I think the radar sensor is) is also pretty clean.

Would a factory reset help or would that have far-reaching consequences?!

Thanks,
George.S

Post by George.S »

I have the same problem, it happened about 4 days ago without warning, I contacted the garage who asked me to clean sensors but this didn’t work so it is booked into garage for Friday 20th Oct may check for updates first