3 new faults today. Help!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

This just means you've got the first part of the 2.3 OTA update. Follow the update instructions.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203

TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

George.S wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:28 pm I have the same problem, it happened about 4 days ago without warning, I contacted the garage who asked me to clean sensors but this didn’t work so it is booked into garage for Friday 20th Oct may check for updates first
Shortly after the assist system warnings, did you see a notification pop up indicating that a software update was available?

When it's ready to install, you'll see an option on the goodbye screen to start the installation. First update will take about an hour, and will need the car to be at >50% soc and not being charged.

Even if this was something else, it is not terribly reassuring that your garage were seemingly not aware that the 2.3 update causes this sort of behaviour.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
SiDai

Post by SiDai »

Hi
Interesting read even if I don't understand some of the explanations completely. I too have experienced exactly the same error messages and had last week agreed to the installation of the latest software upgrade. What puzzles me is that shouldn't VW be notifying their customers what to expect rather then let them experience the problem and then have to deal with the irate customers. Again like I have said before there appears to be a lot of guess work and surmising as to what is going on and causing the problems. Without any real experts on the forum, I would treat some of the suggestions on here with a pinch of salt and approach VW directly.

It makes no logical sense what so ever, for malfunctions to appear as part of an upgrade and would suggest that these are possibly 'bugs' that need to be drawn to VWs attention.

IMG_2679.jpeg

IMG_2677.jpeg

IMG_2676.jpeg

IMG_2675.jpeg

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

SiDai wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:35 pm Hi
Interesting read even if I don't understand some of the explanations completely. I too have experienced exactly the same error messages and had last week agreed to the installation of the latest software upgrade. What puzzles me is that shouldn't VW be notifying their customers what to expect rather then let them experience the problem and then have to deal with the irate customers. Again like I have said before there appears to be a lot of guess work and surmising as to what is going on and causing the problems. Without any real experts on the forum, I would treat some of the suggestions on here with a pinch of salt and approach VW directly.

It makes no logical sense what so ever, for malfunctions to appear as part of an upgrade and would suggest that these are possibly 'bugs' that need to be drawn to VWs attention.

The information about the warnings was in the email from which you agreed to receive the update.

Some of the advice being given here is based on that information, plus there’s an official VW ID. group on Facebook where VW have shared some tips.
SiDai

Post by SiDai »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:45 pm

The information about the warnings was in the email from which you agreed to receive the update.

Some of the advice being given here is based on that information, plus there’s an official VW ID. group on Facebook where VW have shared some tips.

The e-mail was in German and just to reiterate why would malfunctions, in the form of hazard warnings, appear as part of an upgrade? It is a rather clumsy way of communicating them and potentially dangerous. The blanket use of hazard warnings, that are no different to what would be displayed if there was an actual malfunction, only serve to undermine their credibility in the long run and the likelihood of drivers taking notice of them in future. A much neater solution would to be to display a simple message such as, "For the duration of the upgrade currently being installed the following functions of the car will be unavailable:"
Deleted User 192

SiDai wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:05 pm
scott28tt wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:45 pm

The e-mail was in German and just to reiterate why would malfunctions, in the form of hazard warnings, appear as part of an upgrade? It is a rather clumsy way of communicating them and potentially dangerous. The blanket use of hazard warnings, that are no different to what would be displayed if there was an actual malfunction, only serve to undermine their credibility in the long run and the likelihood of drivers taking notice of them in future. A much neater solution would to be to display a simple message such as, "For the duration of the upgrade currently being installed the following functions of the car will be unavailable:"

It shouldn’t have been in German, apparently that relates to when you setup your VW account.

The same information was published here: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... e-2-3.html

You accepted to receive the update in spite of your email being in a foreign language, that’s brave.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

SiDai wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:05 pm A much neater solution would to be to display a simple message such as, "For the duration of the upgrade currently being installed the following functions of the car will be unavailable:"

Well yes, but VW didn't implement that.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

In order to implement a messaging system VW would have had to code that into the software in multiple languages with various iterations already, or they would have had to send an update to allow the message prior to the update!! Whether they should have done that isn't up for debate as they didn't Instead they chose to use the existing coding which tells you something is unavailable, almost the same as if you are in Snow or other conditions which block the camera view. (Get used to these messages in Winter if my previous VW is anything to go by)
They then informed people via an email which you had to accept in order to proceed. If people didn't read the email, which it is obvious a lot of people didn't bother, then I don't see how those same people can moan about the way this is implemented.
I also think this is a British issue.. we're looking for someone to say 'Excuse me Sir, terribly sorry but there will be an update shortly, there will be some minor inconvenience and some messages, nothing to worry about, cup of tea Guvnor?'.
Deleted User 192

G43FAN wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:35 am They then informed people via an email which you had to accept in order to proceed. If people didn't read the email, which it is obvious a lot of people didn't bother, then I don't see how those same people can moan about the way this is implemented.

Amen.
mish

Post by mish »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:35 am In order to implement a messaging system VW would have had to code that into the software in multiple languages with various iterations already, or they would have had to send an update to allow the message prior to the update!! Whether they should have done that isn't up for debate as they didn't Instead they chose to use the existing coding which tells you something is unavailable, almost the same as if you are in Snow or other conditions which block the camera view. (Get used to these messages in Winter if my previous VW is anything to go by)
They then informed people via an email which you had to accept in order to proceed. If people didn't read the email, which it is obvious a lot of people didn't bother, then I don't see how those same people can moan about the way this is implemented.
I also think this is a British issue.. we're looking for someone to say 'Excuse me Sir, terribly sorry but there will be an update shortly, there will be some minor inconvenience and some messages, nothing to worry about, cup of tea Guvnor?'.
I am a German software developer and I do not think it's a "British issue". I honestly think the way they have communicated this is not up to standards. Fair enough if the update runs in the background. Fine that there was an email.
I think it's simply an awful user experience to separate the "warning" from the "system" it is meant for, especially if pushing a message to the car could be part of the update procedure. It's really not a difficult technological problem. It's just poor software design and not good enough. I am pretty sure VW is aware that this can be improved and I am hoping for a better experience in the future.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

mish wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:40 am
G43FAN wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:35 am In order to implement a messaging system VW would have had to code that into the software in multiple languages with various iterations already, or they would have had to send an update to allow the message prior to the update!! Whether they should have done that isn't up for debate as they didn't Instead they chose to use the existing coding which tells you something is unavailable, almost the same as if you are in Snow or other conditions which block the camera view. (Get used to these messages in Winter if my previous VW is anything to go by)
I am a German software developer and I do not think it's a "British issue". I honestly think the way they have communicated this is not up to standards. Fair enough if the update runs in the background. Fine that there was an email.
I think it's simply an awful user experience to separate the "warning" from the "system" it is meant for, especially if pushing a message to the car could be part of the update procedure. It's really not a difficult technological problem. It's just poor software design and not good enough. I am pretty sure VW is aware that this can be improved and I am hoping for a better experience in the future.
To be clear, I am not defending the way it's been implemented I also agree that it is awful, but it is what it is. My frustrated comment is more aimed at the plethora of threads here and on Facebook saying
'Oh my God, no one warned us this was going to happen!' - They did.
'This is so dangerous' - No it's not they are assistance systems, if you NEED them to drive a car you shouldn't have a licence.

Followed immediately by an almost identical post regurgitating the same comments/questions. Maybe it's an experience thing, I tend to go onto a forum and do a quick search to see if anything similar already exists in discussions. Having used a good deal of forums for many many years it was standard etiquette. But these days people just seem to start a new thread although there is an element of thread hijacking too. (which I really hate)
Mind you the Search on this layout is well out of the way.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

mish wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:40 am
Well said
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

If this thread is still related to faults, I got a new one today. Driving in darkish daytime conditions, the lights were on auto and switched on, as I would expect them to be. I then get an error saying there was a problem with the lights. The lights stayed on but the auto sign disappeared. There was a lighting error symbol in the driver instrument screen. Doing the old "turn it off and back on again" seemed to clear it up but this software is surely flakey, to say the least.
Deleted User 192

Scratch wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:07 pm If this thread is still related to faults, I got a new one today. Driving in darkish daytime conditions, the lights were on auto and switched on, as I would expect them to be. I then get an error saying there was a problem with the lights. The lights stayed on but the auto sign disappeared. There was a lighting error symbol in the driver instrument screen. Doing the old "turn it off and back on again" seemed to clear it up but this software is surely flakey, to say the least.

Mine has been on 2.3 for 2 months and hasn't skipped a beat.
Yossa

Post by Yossa »

Scratch wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:07 pm If this thread is still related to faults, I got a new one today. Driving in darkish daytime conditions, the lights were on auto and switched on, as I would expect them to be. I then get an error saying there was a problem with the lights. The lights stayed on but the auto sign disappeared. There was a lighting error symbol in the driver instrument screen. Doing the old "turn it off and back on again" seemed to clear it up but this software is surely flakey, to say the least.
Happened to me twice
Csutton15

Post by Csutton15 »

Hi George, I have exactly the same problem, did the garage manage to sort you out? I can’t get booked in until Dec 1st so it sounds like they have a few issues!
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Csutton15 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:04 pm Hi George, I have exactly the same problem, did the garage manage to sort you out? I can’t get booked in until Dec 1st so it sounds like they have a few issues!
The most likely explanation for these faults is that the 2,3 Update is downloading!
Deleted User 192

Csutton15 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:04 pm Hi George, I have exactly the same problem, did the garage manage to sort you out? I can’t get booked in until Dec 1st so it sounds like they have a few issues!

Are you certain that the warnings on your car are not related to the 2.3 software update?
Csutton15

Post by Csutton15 »

They probably are but I have had no messages to say that 2.3 has started (apart from the original email which I clicked through to agree). The problem has been there for around 2 weeks and i have also had an email saying the vehicle has been disconnected from the app and I keep getting an error message when trying to reconnect
Deleted User 192

Csutton15 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:04 pm They probably are but I have had no messages to say that 2.3 has started (apart from the original email which I clicked through to agree). The problem has been there for around 2 weeks and i have also had an email saying the vehicle has been disconnected from the app and I keep getting an error message when trying to reconnect

Anything shown in Settings > System information > Updates?

Nothing being offered to install on the "goodbye" screen?

If not, might be purely coincidental that 2.3 part 1 causes this behaviour and you actually have a fault on your hands.