ID3 Heating System

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
G4XUR

Post by G4XUR »

Has anyone had problems with the 2 zone heating on their ID3? Mine has consistently (albeit intermittent at some times) had the passenger side blowing much cooler air than the drivers side when both settings are the same and when sync'd too. Occasions also when this has reversed sides. Garage has had the car back several times to change sensors, and then tell me its fixed. But after a few days it reverts back to the original fault. Appreciate knowing if anyone else has had this fault please? Recently garage replaced the 12v battery as after the discharge problems earlier it was declared cream crackered! Car on 2.1 at this time, update pending any time!!

TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Interestingly, I have noticed a similar thing with my City (which doesn't even have two zone climate control!).

I can't identify a consistent pattern, but the symptoms are just as you describe, the air can be coming out of the two centre air vents at very different temperatures.

I initially wondered if the car was trying to do something clever with the climate control dependent on which heated seats were being used, but I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with that.

I've updated to 2.3 since noticing this, but would be surprised if that makes a difference.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yes it’s warmer at the centre of the vents (where the middle two meet) and cooler at the edges. Combined it does work though and bring it up to the right temp.

Doesn’t seem to have the same issue with th AC so perhaps the heater element only has partial coverage of the airflow?

I love the auto heated seats and steering wheel now the temps are lower - and aside from the slightly odd airflow above the heating and cooling seems to work great!
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

The issue I've had is with the two central vents in the middle of the dashboard. Quite often the driver side one can be chucking out air at a noticeably different temperature to the passenger side one. Perhaps I need to get this looked at.

As an aside, I really miss the air vents from our A3, which are really good in that you can set both the direction and the 'focus' of the airflow (like adjusting a torch beam) then twist the bezel to turn the air on or off. The vents in the ID3 just don't compare!
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515