Complete failure due to something chewed the electrics

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
KeithB

Post by KeithB »

I just had a call from my service centre who tell me the catastrophic failure of the car last week was due to something having chewed the electronics. He then told me another customer had the same problem last month, is this a common problem?

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Cat, Rat or urban Fox? Did they say what was chewed and where it is (presumably on the car's underside or under the bonnet.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Not common, I've read of one other instance in the last year.
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

As an IT Manager of many years, I have come across rats chewing through electrical and data cables on numerous occasions, but I have never heard of a daily used car having rodent issues, unused cars yes but not moving ones.
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’ve a friend who is a glaciologist- whilst doing their PhD in the Swiss Alps they left their car at the end of a track before the last 1500m elevation trek up to their field area. When they returned 3-4 weeks later - the car wouldn’t start. The called breakdown and upon opening the bonnet every single bit of rubber and wired instulation had been eaten.

Marmots apparently - and eventually they got an insurance claim from it.

No help here for the OP but rats/mice and squirrels can do this. From the mid 80’s for domestic wiring cables the plastic has an extra ingredient that makes it taste bad to mice/rats.
mish

Post by mish »

I believe pine martens love chewing car cables. Parked cars still radiating heat probably look like a nice place to shelter. Apparently marking the parking area with urine can ward them off (that or cloves of garlic) :) .
sghom

Post by sghom »

It could have been a roadrunner wot did it !! I'll get my coat !
family pro performance, mangy knees+bin lids
JCT 600 [sheffield]
ordered 17 july
3140xxxx
build week 45 confirmed? 11/1
on the boat 8-)
MY22
ETA feb 22 8-)
KeithB

Post by KeithB »

I have five cars and this is the only time I have had this issue. Whilst I accept it can happen, it is so rare, but, obviously here in Camberley it is not so rare as two cars with the same problem in a month. Frankly, I smell a rat!
TimF

Post by TimF »

A trick used to deter squirrels from raiding peanuts from bird feeders is to shake up the nuts with cayenne pepper before putting them in the feeder. I wonder if there's a cayenne sauce which could be sprayed on vulnerable areas under the bonnet?
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

KeithB wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:58 pm I have five cars and this is the only time I have had this issue. Whilst I accept it can happen, it is so rare, but, obviously here in Camberley it is not so rare as two cars with the same problem in a month. Frankly, I smell a rat!

I'm just up the road from you, in Sandhurst.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

KeithB wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:35 am I just had a call from my service centre who tell me the catastrophic failure of the car last week was due to something having chewed the electronics. He then told me another customer had the same problem last month, is this a common problem?
The Tesla/ID.3 rivalry is getting out of hand.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

😂
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
fixit

Post by fixit »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:01 am
KeithB wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:58 pm I have five cars and this is the only time I have had this issue. Whilst I accept it can happen, it is so rare, but, obviously here in Camberley it is not so rare as two cars with the same problem in a month. Frankly, I smell a rat!

I'm just up the road from you, in Sandhurst.

So am I.
I think I need to finish clearing out the garage and use it as designed!