Wing mirror parts

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
dodge

Post by dodge »

Hello

Unfortunately a Mini driver thought they were smaller than they were and clipped my driver side wing mirror while overtaking a parked car on their side of the road. They are claiming it is "one of those things" and saying its no-fault, and my insurance company has said it would be hard to prove otherwise as its my word against his (no CCTV or dash cam), so would likely be split blame.

I am pricing up the cost of repairs to try and avoid a monster bill from VW, and the other party has said they will "contribute" to repairs (we will see). The parts damage are the indicator light assembly, top cover, mirror (cracked), and the black housing around the mirror.

I have got an genuine replacement indicator lens and LED, and the mirror is easy source as well. The top cover I have managed to source primed blanks, but will likely just get a local body show to source and paint this part. The only part I can't seem to find online is the black housing. Does anyone know the best place to source this, or a company that is good and getting such parts? Image attached showing VW part number. It doesn't help that the ID3 is fairy new so parts are more limited. I know the wing mirrors are essentially Golf Mk8, but similarly that's a new model so not many outlets have a good parts stock.

Thanks
Tom

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

ID3 Life Pro Performance. Andoya 19" wheels. Delivered June 2021.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

They were overtaking, they crossed onto your side of the road, yet they apparently aren't to blame - WTF??
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Presume you were driving too, rather than parked up? In that situation it's hard to prove blame without the footage or independent witnesses. Had that happen to me once, the other driver didn't and the spting loaded wing mirrors of my dad's Ford Granada took no damage. Thought no more of it until the Police were at the door wanting a statement as the other driver claimed I was the one at fault. Nothing happened - my word against his. Police eh? Remember those? Actually out and about doing real investigation rather than issuing crime numbers for insurance and manning mobile speed traps? :lol:
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:39 pm Presume you were driving too, rather than parked up? In that situation it's hard to prove blame without the footage or independent witnesses. Had that happen to me once, the other driver didn't and the spting loaded wing mirrors of my dad's Ford Granada took no damage. Thought no more of it until the Police were at the door wanting a statement as the other driver claimed I was the one at fault. Nothing happened - my word against his. Police eh? Remember those? Actually out and about doing real investigation rather than issuing crime numbers for insurance and manning mobile speed traps? :lol:
I was under the impression that the cops only got involved if someone was injured.
dodge

Post by dodge »

Yeah I was moving, so was told proving exactly where it was on the road, etc would be very difficult. The cheeky bugger did just drive on, I had to drive about 1/2 mile back up the road to find him parked up in the Town square looking around his car. Nice of him to stop and check everyone was ok...... 🙄
ID3 Life Pro Performance. Andoya 19" wheels. Delivered June 2021.
SaarMan

Post by SaarMan »

I hope you got the part sorted. I came to this forum as I live in Germany and was approached by a neighbour asking if I could help reassemble his 2020 passenger wing mirror (UK driver side ) mirror after a similar incident. He has purchased the necessary broken trim part but until now I've only briefly seen the assembly wrapped up in duct tape. His wife's bigger concern is getting the sticky remains off the plastic once the job is done so I'm hoping this is a straightforward fix and he hasn't lost any screws or internal parts so I can impress them suitably!
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

I replaced the black surround of the mirror and sourced it through VW and it was about ÂŁ15
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I realise it’s an old thread, but does anyone know how the top (painted) cover of the driver’s door mirror clips into place? Mine got pinged off by someone, not sure how? It seems to snap into place on the side nearest the car, but the other side refuses to. I can’t see any damage to the internals of the plastic cover, although I may be wrong. It looks as if it should clip over the clear flasher lens nearest the mirror but won’t stay in place. I wonder if a piece has been broken off of that part?
Any help gratefully appreciated.
dazbus

Post by dazbus »

Should be two hoops coming out of the cover, to lock it into place. Looking at replacing mine as got clipped in car park, the hoops no longer seem to be there on my damaged one.
From you tube, you need to pop the glass off to get access to the hoop release
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

dazbus wrote: ↑Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:48 am Should be two hoops coming out of the cover, to lock it into place. Looking at replacing mine as got clipped in car park, the hoops no longer seem to be there on my damaged one.
From you tube, you need to pop the glass off to get access to the hoop release
OK Thanks