Software update failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Ken70

Post by Ken70 »

According to the garage they are having a lot of users having to use the garage to update. I have mine booked in weeks time. The current failures stop the lane assist and front parking.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

The 3 front assist systems going offline while part 1 downloads and installs is entirely normal, most definitely not a failure.

If those systems don’t work AFTER part 1 has finished installing, that’s a problem.

This is not only documented in the email sent to owners asking them to accept the update for their car, but also here: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... e-2-3.html
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

Be nice to have the opportunity for it to fail,8 weeks after accepting email still no 2.3 for me
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

simonmaskell wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:00 pm Be nice to have the opportunity for it to fail,8 weeks after accepting email still no 2.3 for me
Nor me, and after wo weeks of emails escalated to their 'Tech' team a laughable description, I just the standard emails explaining that I need to start the update from the Goodbye screen. Seriously pathetic and I'm now having regrets about buying the car if I have to spend this much time driving around waiting for an update that will only start if I meet all the criteria of, driving on a specific (yet unidentifiable) day with they are now saying 3 bars or more 4G connection the car needs over 50% charge (but cannot be charging) and now apparently I have to turn the lights off also. Some cars got this update nearly 2 and a half months abo, thid doesn't bode well for the quarterly update program,
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

Yeah I have had lots of emails with them too. My favourite response was when they told me my ID3 was registered for the update in the first line of the email. Also that they hoped I was enjoying my VW Passat in the last line.
I would have loved to be in the meeting where some bright spark came up with the idea,let’s poll the cars once a week and make it impossible for anyone to know what day it’s meant to be.
It’s not so much even that, it’s the communication. If it’s longer than six weeks why not say and stop babbling about version 3 when significant numbers of customers haven’t even got 2.3.
Hypercube

Post by Hypercube »

Our ID3 has repeatedly tried to download and apply the software update over the air.

Fails with error 91CA_82 Please contact your workshop.

Not been able to get a workshop appointment as yet.

Unfortunately, each time the car has been driven since it appears to try the download again; this switches off many of the safety aids.

Also noted that the SOS system reported a failure several weeks back. Perhaps that is something to do with it.

Pretty poor experience so far. Has anyone else had this happen?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The SOS failure was a hardware issue on mine. Needed a new module. Suspect this could be stopping the update happening. Get it booked in it was a two hour job.
Hypercube

Post by Hypercube »

Thanks for the tip.
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

You have to wonder how they came up with this update process, it's not like there are that many cars on the road, apparently they are aiming to produce 330,000 cars (ID. 3, ID. 4, ID. 5, Cupra Born & Q4 ) a year, it's unlikely they met that target this year due to shortages.

Therefore the load on the backend servers can't be that great and anyway they are using Microsoft Azure as a backend so it should be able to scale. If Google or Apple tried updating phones/tablets or laptops like this there would be outrage. Yet as purchasers of items that cost substantially more than a phone we are expected to put up with a sub standard update process that has so many conditions required to work, some users will just be left out in the cold or end up at the dealers trying to get a bricked car fixed.

Whoever was the product manager on this, they should be fired.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I'm not that tech savvy but even to me it does seem antiquated. Motive? Its what I would do if field tests revealed that there were going to be problems. Keep the roll out slow and anomolies manageable. I cant think of any other reason.
Any other reasoning?
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

It's not just antiquated it is seriously flawed. They are relying on the use of a cellular network to do the OTA updates. Even in Germany there are areas without coverage, but in some parts of the world getting a decent 4G signal isn't easy and then even when you are driving in an area with decent coverage it might not be the day that your particular cars number comes up in the polling lottery they have developed. They are also creating themselves more work because there will be a large number of cars that have to visit the dealers to get updated, so even if they think they are creating a manageable process, they are really just creating an expensive monster and unhappy customers.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I'm happy to not understand it then and be greatful that mine updated without a problem.
I locked the car and walked away. Next day it was installed. A relief.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
vicleonard

Post by vicleonard »

Hi All

I contacted WeConnect some weeks ago about the problems on downloading version 2.3, and am still waiting a response.

I appear to have found the answer myself to the problem, you need a strong sim WiFi connection signal with 2/3 bars showing. It is possible to connect the car to a home WiFi Router and have asked WeConnect to confirm if it is possible to use this connection to download the latest software, as usual, I await their response.

Yesterday I successfully managed to download the latest software version ID. Software: 2.3.0, whilst the car was parked at the golf club. I was advised it would take about 170 minutes.

I hope this helps.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

vicleonard wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:44 pm Hi All

I contacted WeConnect some weeks ago about the problems on downloading version 2.3, and am still waiting a response.

I appear to have found the answer myself to the problem, you need a strong sim WiFi connection signal with 2/3 bars showing. It is possible to connect the car to a home WiFi Router and have asked WeConnect to confirm if it is possible to use this connection to download the latest software, as usual, I await their response.

Yesterday I successfully managed to download the latest software version ID. Software: 2.3.0, whilst the car was parked at the golf club. I was advised it would take about 170 minutes.

I hope this helps.

It is well-known that WiFi is not currently used for anything to do with OTA updates.
DAN142

Post by DAN142 »

My First Edition ID3 has spent one week and then a further two weeks at the car dealership whilst they tried to upgrade the software. They tell me they need a technical fix to be sent from Germany. The first one did not work and the second is yet to arrive. Pretty unsatisfactory really.
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

Wish it would even give me the downlaod to fail, 8 weeks since the email and nothing yet