Tyres worn after 15,000 km

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Alsaceid3

Post by Alsaceid3 »

Just returned from dealer having got winter wheels and tyres mounted. Very expensive. But then to be told that the original tyres that the car came with, Bridgestone Turanza, are so worn that they will need to be replaced next year. I find this incredible. We’ve had the car for 5 months and done approx 15,000 km. Has anyone else had a similar problem? We’ve obviously been done. The tyres that came with a previous Golf lasted for years! I had no reason to suspect that the ID3 would be sold with such crappy tyres.

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

20K here, tyres being replaced tomorrow. Hugely unhappy.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Not shocked to see Bridgestone mentioned in any thread like this.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

What tread depth are you at for needing replacement?

A lot of dealers say replace at 3mm, but as the Bridgestones only come with 5.9mm of tread, you've only got 60% of the tread wear to 3mm that you'd expect from most tyres coming with 7.5-8.0mm when new.

I fully expect the ID3 to chew up rear tyres in a way that a FWD Golf wouldn't. Its RWD with lots of instant torque, and weighs almost 40% more.

My previous experiences of performance Golfs and Polo's is that front last 15k miles and rears last 40k miles.

Bridgestones are poor tyres, but they're renowned for being hard wearing, which is why (supposedly) they only come with 5.9mm tread from new.

Given that there's no drive on the ID3's front wheels, I'd hope they last 25k miles on the fronts, and maybe 15-20k miles on the backs for a decent tyre (Goodyear or Michelin - Contis are very soft) that comes with proper tread depth.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Alsaceid3 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:15 am The tyres that came with a previous Golf lasted for years! I had no reason to suspect that the ID3 would be sold with such crappy tyres.
Consider yourself lucky - I seem to be cursed with getting Bridgestones on nearly every new VW, especially recently:-

2007 MK5 Golf GT Sport TDI170
2013 MK7 Golf GTD
2015 MK7 Golf R
2018 Polo GTI+
2019 Polo GTI+

and both our ID3s.

When the Bridgestones are done in and you replace with something else, you really realise how bad they were - wet grip, dry grip, traction, noise, feel.

RollingJ

Post by RollingJ »

My ID.3 was in for some work last week and the visual inspection showed up amber on the tyres. When I queried it the service guy was already prepared for my question and said that the tyres fitted on ID.3s always seemed to have a lower starting point tread depth than VW ICEs. Sounded odd at the time. Still legal but they quoted nearly 600 quid to replace all four and this is after only ~6500 miles!
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

We have completed 21k on our Conti’s
Does help mostly motorway miles but only 60 % worn on rears and 40 on fronts

Bridgestone on y previous GTE couldn’t wait to get shot of them replaced with Michelin cross climate and transformed the car, quieter with more grip in every situation
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Mine will be getting Goodyears or Michelins when the time comes, or if they prove really slippery this Winter.

Not an issue on the ID3, but on every VW ICE car I've had with FWD, they used to tramp/wheel a lot. Even on the Golf R with 4WD, they felt twitchy with poor turn in grip - 4WD can only flatter a poor tyre so much. Every time I've changed the Bridgestones out, the car's been transformed.

VW must get these really cheap to continually fit them despite knowing how poor they are as top tier tyres go.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Are we talking just rear tyres? I haven't checked mine yet at just over 5k but given the threads will swap front to rear to even up wear. Anyone done that already?
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Flaming76

Post by Flaming76 »

Tbh I run Michelin cross climates, they have transformed the grip and ride on my transporter and have lasted for ages.
Fam Pro Perf, 19” Andoya alloys, bike rack prep in turquoise.
Ordered 20.10.21 dealer placed order 25.10.21
Estimated delivery early May 2022, now status 20 build week 38, status 60 early Nov, delivery December!!
Order No 31515***
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Bridgestones are the work of the devil.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203