Roof Creaking

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Lundqvist_Zed

Post by Lundqvist_Zed »

Hi all,
At the start of November (the week it gets cold in the UK) I was driving over a speed bump or similar (nice and gently) when a gentle crack noise came from the roof area. Couldn't see any issue, but since then the roof creaks any time I go over a road height change and more so at an angle not square on (eg left wheel up before right so there is a twisted weight on the chassis).
Why is my roof creaking?. This is my first panoramic roof, is this normal and just made all the more noticeable by the absence of engine noise etc?
If I push down (not hard) around the outside edge of the roof there are a couple of areas that there is flex and creaking. Has a seal gone or is this a seasonal effect and rubber has shrunk with the cold and is now rubbing on the glass rather than being permanently pressed against it?
I'm going to talk to my dealer, but I'm posting this incase i'm overreacting, or if there is any guidance that I need to be insistent etc.

Many thanks in advance for you help

Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

It could be related to a seal but I've seen the setup on the car as mine is still months away !
However, its sounds similar to a problem I had with the window rubbers on a Touran many years ago. The window rubbers would creak against the glass and was really annoying at slow speeds. It was fixed by VW adding an additional strip of what looked like sellotape on the inside of the rubber strip that then sat against the glass.
I'm sure this problem occurred during the colder months as the rubber harden up.
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Getting the same and it’s increasingly loud until it’s warm.

Problem is that by the time it gets to the dealer the car is warm and it’s not creaking.
Zinnenfries

Post by Zinnenfries »

Check this out, its a issue recognized by vw and they insert lubricant to work around it.
TPI2063190_1.pdf
(370.78 KiB) Downloaded 535 times
Mensrea

Post by Mensrea »

I just used silicone spray on the rubber sealing top of the roof no more Roof Creaking easy fix
Ffmick26587

Post by Ffmick26587 »

Mensrea wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:40 am I just used silicone spray on the rubber sealing top of the roof no more Roof Creaking easy fix
had the same problem, a small bit of silicone spray did the job..
Peter Pan Pan

Post by Peter Pan Pan »

Same problem here, only in recent colder weeks. Thanks for the silicone spray tip.
2021 ID3 Family Pro | Moonstone Grey | 4 wheels and a steering wheel
Lundqvist_Zed

Post by Lundqvist_Zed »

Thanks all,
I finally got around to asking my dealer Marshalls Harlow and they kindly applied some "lubricant" type not disclosed. All sorted now though, and I'm much happier knowing the roof isn't about to fly off. Thank you also to Zinnenfries - I missed the reply (thought I'd get a notification of replies) and that would have given me peace of mind sooner. I'm off to learn German now to take a closer look.
fatman

Post by fatman »

Ffmick26587 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:30 pm
Mensrea wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:40 am I just used silicone spray on the rubber sealing top of the roof no more Roof Creaking easy fix
had the same problem, a small bit of silicone spray did the job..
you mean spray on seals ,from outside....
Max PRO Moonstone Grey August 2021. Software v3.2 [dealership]
Smokeyhill

Post by Smokeyhill »

Yep, just tried this on my creaky roof, silicon spray on the rubber seals as per the pdf posted by @Zinnenfries, worked a charm. Thanks!
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Mine did the same - Silicone spray around the seal externally stopped it instantly.
First edition

Share £100 with me when you sign up
share.octopus.energy/dense-crab-700
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

FWIW, we took our car in to have some scratches removed from the bodywork and told them about the creaking. They kept it in overnight and "fixed it" (presumably with spray but who knows), at no cost.
BOF.

Post by BOF. »

Have the same issue, had the TPI completed by the dealer, but the creaking has come back, it’s present when it’s dry, cold weather, never when it’s wet! The dealer has advised they need the car back as the factory have advised that any they pumped with lubricant it resolved the issue, so car going back to the dealer to consult with factory to resolve the issue. It’s after getting really noticeable and irritating…