Range degradation

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

MotMot wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:14 am Its the battery heater that uses loads of juice (8-10kw) for the first 10-20 min from a sub 11 degree start. 10kw for 15 min = 2.5kwh, or approximately 5% of a 57kwh battery.. So every completely cold start you do will take a big chunk - and this is then reflected in your consumption.

The newest models seem to only have the battery heater kick in once its below zero (instead of 11) - and this will likely be rolled out to older models. I think - it may require a hardware update but forgotten the details.
Certainly not the case for the July models. I've seen the battery heater come on around 8ish, but drawing less (2-3kW, never seen it draw above that).

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Andreas wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:20 pm
MotMot wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:14 am Its the battery heater that uses loads of juice (8-10kw) for the first 10-20 min from a sub 11 degree start. 10kw for 15 min = 2.5kwh, or approximately 5% of a 57kwh battery.. So every completely cold start you do will take a big chunk - and this is then reflected in your consumption.

The newest models seem to only have the battery heater kick in once its below zero (instead of 11) - and this will likely be rolled out to older models. I think - it may require a hardware update but forgotten the details.
Certainly not the case for the July models. I've seen the battery heater come on around 8ish, but drawing less (2-3kW, never seen it draw above that).

All the best

Andreas
Mine was delivered 1st July!
The cabin heater pulls about 2kw (did some experimenting today!)
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

I took delivery of my Family Pro Performance in mid October. It has a heat pump and arrived with f/w 2.3 factory installed. I've now driven ~1000 miles including (recently) a couple 100+ mile motorway journeys. The overall average thus far is 3.46 M/kW.

Today whilst driving with ext temp = -0.5C there was little discernible reduction in the forecast range but the power display in the digital instrument cluster showed that the available energy recuperation & traction levels (i.e. the thin green & blue bars) were significantly below their maximum values.

Is it the case that when the battery temperature is low the maximum allowed charge & discharge rates are curtailed by the thermal management system?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I think you can't expect full recuperation or max power as shown on the bars but charging to a set level would not be affected. A cold battery just has a slower rate of charge so will take longer overall.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Gwyver wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:19 pm I took delivery of my Family Pro Performance in mid October. It has a heat pump and arrived with f/w 2.3 factory installed. I've now driven ~1000 miles including (recently) a couple 100+ mile motorway journeys. The overall average thus far is 3.46 M/kW.

Today whilst driving with ext temp = -0.5C there was little discernible reduction in the forecast range but the power display in the digital instrument cluster showed that the available energy recuperation & traction levels (i.e. the thin green & blue bars) were significantly below their maximum values.

Is it the case that when the battery temperature is low the maximum allowed charge & discharge rates are curtailed by the thermal management system?
Yes, that is the case. Also you will not get a full green bar available when charge @100%
rawws

Post by rawws »

MotMot wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:15 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:09 pm 2 mile round trip school run this morning. 1.7 miles per kWh recorded, and a 5% drop in range between leaving and returning, which means 2.9 kWh used, but should've been 1.2kWh used to do 2 miles @ 1.7 miles per kWh.

Something odd going on there, it's almost as if the economy figure is inclusive of cabin heating and motor power, but excludes battery heating draw.
Yup - switching the heater on or off results in an instant change to the GOM. Battery heater doesnt.

I had a 20 mile return trip today (with an hour break). It used 25% on the way there!! (started at -2), and 8% on the way back!!!
winter battery hit means ramps up overall electricy cost as you charge more frequent for longer some thing which makes me miss ice cars especially in the UK. i can imagine id3 in spain or portugal being more range over the year
ID3 Business Pro Performance 58kw
fordfocusman

Post by fordfocusman »

Is heating the battery necessary, even when the car is not in use? I've logged my range loss over the last three days with the car sitting in the driveway and not driven; Started with 203 km, yesterday it was 183 km, today it's 160 km. Average outside temperature 5-7 deg C. That's about 5% loss per day, twenty days to drain to empty from full. I wouldn't be able to leave the car in the airport long term car park for a few weeks at that rate of loss.
ID.3 Life 58kWh
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

fordfocusman wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:19 pm Is heating the battery necessary, even when the car is not in use? I've logged my range loss over the last three days with the car sitting in the driveway and not driven; Started with 203 km, yesterday it was 183 km, today it's 160 km. Average outside temperature 5-7 deg C. That's about 5% loss per day, twenty days to drain to empty from full. I wouldn't be able to leave the car in the airport long term car park for a few weeks at that rate of loss.
Loss of range and loss of charge are not the same thing. The battery does not heat if car is not in use. The car has cooled down. The range is nothing more than a "Guestimate of Mileage" and I would wager the % state of charge of your battery is pretty much exactly the same as three days ago as you haven't used the car. So nothing has drained away. If the outside temperature were to increase to 15 to 20 degrees C (a miracle indeed!) I wouldn't mind betting the range prediction would go up again without you doing anything. Batteries just don't like being cold.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

fordfocusman wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:19 pm Is heating the battery necessary, even when the car is not in use? I've logged my range loss over the last three days with the car sitting in the driveway and not driven; Started with 203 km, yesterday it was 183 km, today it's 160 km. Average outside temperature 5-7 deg C. That's about 5% loss per day, twenty days to drain to empty from full. I wouldn't be able to leave the car in the airport long term car park for a few weeks at that rate of loss.

What have the % figures been? That's all that really matters, not km or miles.
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

Just to back up what others have said, I left my ID.3 at Bristol airport for ten days in November. It was charged to 82% when I left it and it was still reading 82% when I returned.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

Just returned home from a 260 mile round trip most of the way on the M6 & M5 at 70mph - where possible :-)
On the southbound journey this morning (mainly into strong headwinds & rain) the battery charge went down from 100% to 20%.
Returning north this evening the charge went from 88% to 23%.
The infotainment centre states that today's consumption works out at 3.3miles/kWh

Given today's chilly temperatures I'm happy with the range. Also found the ACC & Front Assist make for a relaxing drive in the heavy motorway traffic around Birmingham.

My ID.3 has been reporting "Unable to load connection status" since last Thursday - but that's another story (& VW Digital Service keep sending me emails assuring me that their advanced technical team are working on a solution. Not sure how long to wait for this or whether to pull fuse 19 (again)
;-)
Flaming76

Post by Flaming76 »

Gwyver wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:49 pm Just returned home from a 260 mile round trip most of the way on the M6 & M5 at 70mph - where possible :-)
On the southbound journey this morning (mainly into strong headwinds & rain) the battery charge went down from 100% to 20%.
The infotainment centre states that today's consumption works out at 3.3miles/kWh

Given today's chilly temperatures I'm happy with the range. Also found the ACC & Front Assist make for a relaxing drive in the heavy motorway traffic around Birmingham.

My ID.3 has been reporting "Unable to load connection status" since last Thursday - but that's another story (& VW Digital Service keep sending me emails assuring me that their advanced technical team are working on a solution. Not sure how long to wait for this or whether to pull fuse 19 (again)
;-)
Sounds good. Which battery do you have?
Fam Pro Perf, 19” Andoya alloys, bike rack prep in turquoise.
Ordered 20.10.21 dealer placed order 25.10.21
Estimated delivery early May 2022, now status 20 build week 38, status 60 early Nov, delivery December!!
Order No 31515***
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

Flaming76 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:01 pm
Gwyver wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:49 pm Just returned home from a 260 mile round trip most of the way on the M6 & M5 at 70mph - where possible :-)

;-)
Sounds good. Which battery do you have?
58kWH battery
Family Pro Performance with Heat Pump & East Derry alloys
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Thanks for the info. The overall average consumption equates to a range of 180 miles (100-0%) which is about what I'd been led to expect in winter. It's interesting how much the morning rain and wind affected it though. Was it also colder in the morning? If your journey was 130 miles each way, your morning consumption extrapolates to a range of 165 miles and your afternoon consumption to a range of 200 miles, which would be really good.
Maybe I need to keep a close eye on wind direction when planning long journeys...
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:17 am Thanks for the info. The overall average consumption equates to a range of 180 miles (100-0%) which is about what I'd been led to expect in winter. It's interesting how much the morning rain and wind affected it though. Was it also colder in the morning? If your journey was 130 miles each way, your morning consumption extrapolates to a range of 165 miles and your afternoon consumption to a range of 200 miles, which would be really good.
Maybe I need to keep a close eye on wind direction when planning long journeys...
A Better Route Planner can include real time weather and wind calculations as part of its range estimation for legs of journeys. I find it pretty accurate and certainly adds a lot of peace of mind on longer trips.
Ordered 21.8.21
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:17 am Thanks for the info. The overall average consumption equates to a range of 180 miles (100-0%) which is about what I'd been led to expect in winter. It's interesting how much the morning rain and wind affected it though. Was it also colder in the morning? If your journey was 130 miles each way, your morning consumption extrapolates to a range of 165 miles and your afternoon consumption to a range of 200 miles, which would be really good.
It was probably a degree or two colder in the morning.
As for the wind direction - when you've got to go, you've got to go! Difficult to see how to manage that variable.
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

Smitten wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:35 am
A Better Route Planner can include real time weather and wind calculations as part of its range estimation for legs of journeys. I find it pretty accurate and certainly adds a lot of peace of mind on longer trips.
I use ABRP - but conservatively. To my mind using real-time weather/wind calculations to maximise distance between charges could be risky. You might end up running on air if the weather worsens en-route (or your intended charge point becomes unavailable).

Also I think these features of ABRP are only available in the premium/subscription version of the app - which, given the infrequency of my long journeys, isn't economically worthwhile for me.
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

Gwyver wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:08 pm
Smitten wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:35 am
I use ABRP - but conservatively. To my mind using real-time weather/wind calculations to maximise distance between charges could be risky. You might end up running on air if the weather worsens en-route (or your intended charge point becomes unavailable).

Also I think these features of ABRP are only available in the premium/subscription version of the app - which, given the infrequency of my long journeys, isn't economically worthwhile for me.
Yes that's correct. As we used to drive two ICE cars and now only have one left, I decided I could afford the £3.50 subscription a month as I must be saving £90 per month on fuel at £1.50 a litre. I might even have a holiday as well :lol:

I also drive conservatively but on long journeys in bad weather I want to be able to plan effectively and know precisely how many charges I need and where they might be. I also like the fact I can run ABRP as the in car Satnav via Android and I have been experimenting with that. Better still would be live data from the car but to be honest you can tweak the miles/KWh standard setting and as long as you are averaging better than the app, you know you have a good safety margin. I think Polestar has native Android in the vehicle so it can be fully integrated but perhaps more cars will make API access available to 3rd party software companies? I am guessing that eventually Google or similar will just buy ABRP as it did Waze and then the features might be integrated into Google Maps/Android Auto? I haven't really tried the VW navigation software beyond the test drive. The Peugeot nav software is OK but not as up-to-date with charger information and not that easy for EV route planning (we have an e208 and are waiting for our ID3 expected early 2022).
Ordered 21.8.21
strewth1

Post by strewth1 »

Had my family pro for 5 months and the 80% range has fallen from 210 miles to 150 in the last 3 weeks. I booked it in with the dealer, as I didn't expect such a drop and they have said it's normal and to be expected in the winter. They didn't mention range fluctuation when I bought it, just that driving conditions could effect the rate the battery percentage reduced during a journey.
Feeling ripped off and hoping it increases when it gets warmer!
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

strewth1 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:02 pm Had my family pro for 5 months and the 80% range has fallen from 210 miles to 150 in the last 3 weeks. I booked it in with the dealer, as I didn't expect such a drop and they have said it's normal and to be expected in the winter. They didn't mention range fluctuation when I bought it, just that driving conditions could effect the rate the battery percentage reduced during a journey.
Feeling ripped off and hoping it increases when it gets warmer!

Mine is showing about 160 for 80%, the same as it did this time last year. It’s completely normal. It will improve again when it warms up.

Mitigate the consumption by pre-heating the cabin while the car is charging, and relying more on heated seats and steering wheel than the air-based heating. That’s about as much as you can do.