iD3 refusing to charge on public chargers

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
baguette

Post by baguette »

Dmoon92 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:07 am From what I can gather the car doesn't like doing 3 rapid charges in a row. The 3rd has to be done through AC

Nope. I drove all the way across Europe (north-south) last year, 14 DC charges in a row, zero problems.

Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Dmoon92 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:07 am I've had my Id3 for over a year now and this is one of the things that drives me insane.

From what I can gather the car doesn't like doing 3 rapid charges in a row. The 3rd has to be done through AC, even just for 15 mins then it'll accept the rapid charge again.

I'm not sure if this is built it as a battery protection measure but not ideal if you're having to charge a couple of times heading north to South.

Hadn't been a massive issue for me as I'm mostly driving 120 miles round trip but if I had to go further, it would make me very nervous.
Not my experience, drove to Madrid and back, all via DC chargers only.
Dmoon92

Post by Dmoon92 »

Seems I need to book my car into the garage! Thanks for the feedback.
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

From experience on a long trip last weekend not an issue with rapid chargers … did 4 in a row to cover the 600km journey and mountain roads. However when we arrived in the car park at the hotel which only has 3KW AC chargers, 2 out of 4 would not charge. All chargers were identical.
I believe it is a ‘handshake’ issue with the particular chargers. The ID3 and charger showed a connection, the ID3 charge indicator would change to green, and the 5 seconds later the charger and ID3 lights would turn red showing a fault.
The advice to unplug and start again, didn’t fix the issue. I had to move the care toi another charger which worked first time.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Dollydollop wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:05 pm .............
Rereading this thread, the only time I had a similar experience to you was when a small piece of plastic was in the car's socket - basically car would communicate with DC chargers, but error just as it clicked to start the charge.

The plastic debris was in the bottom of the bottom part of the CCS connector, so AC charging would work fine, to find the debris required torch keen eyesight and tweezers to remove from the outer rim of the socket.

Details here - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1732&p=17773#p17773

Did you ever find out what the problem was?
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Tsneal

Post by Tsneal »

I have also had my ID3 a couple of months and have only had charging problems with SWARCO chargers that have been marked as faulty. My experiences are:
  • LIDL chargers (50kW fast charge Pod point) absolutely no problem except putting credit into the pod-point APP before charging.
      Tesco chargers (7kw and 50kW) absolutely no problem ever (apart from being all in use!) have to "confirm the charge" in the App.
        Osprey - no problem, contactless payment worked faultlessly
          ALDI (our local one) one faulty one working again no problem (and marked faulty on ZAP-MAP)
            ALDI (Bridgewater) 22kW chargers - worked perfectly and charged at just over 11kW.
              Pod-Point at Street, Clarks Village. This was interesting - 8 charge points/ 4 pairs and 1 pair were both empty. It turned out they were faulty :-( (connect, green light, then 5 seconds later "relay clunk" & Red light and no charge) but that was also true for a Tesla that arrived - moved the car to one of the other 6 and - No problem (for myself or the Tesla)
              SWARCO in Ilchester car park. Apparently working but would not process contactless card. phoned SWARCO helpline and they were not able to reset / communicate with the unit and the default position is no communication, no charge/no free vend.

With 250-260 miles range, I have not had to use any other chargers yet- 70% of all my charge comes from my Zappi at home / Solar panels. When visiting my family, I have found an overnight Granny Lead has topped up the car nicely and removed range angst entirely, and yes, we offered/paid for the units at family houses.

Best of luck with your new car.

Tsneal

ID3 Family, Pro Performance, Sanya Wheels.
              sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I've had to rapid charge away from home around 20 times now. I've not had a single fault that affected the charge, or a single wait. I only use MFG, Instavolt, Osprey or Gridserve (excl 2 charger MSA sites unless it's very quiet) and aim for locations with more chargers where possible.
              I'm sure I'll have a problem one day, but don't expect it any time soon.
              In contrast I've had 7kw podpoints fail on me twice, once mid-charge (long past 15 minutes). I've pretty much decided never to use 7kw points when I actually need a charge and therefore never to pay for one, but free ones at shopping centres are obviously not to be sniffed at.
              Issues I've seen occur on working chargers that could trip someone up include:
              - cable not locking in first go on a Osprey Kempower, I had to put some weight on it and hold it to the right, then it 'clicked' and worked perfectly (125kw!)
              - others struggling with a Gridserve charger by being too slow to tap their card after plugging it, so the car timed out and raised a fault. I helped the user try again and it was fine (this was an eUp but I think the ID3 behaves the same.)
              ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
              SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Nor me, recent trip to France and Belgium meant several consecutive (Ionity) rapid charge sessions, no problems at all
              id3 Max 2021
              Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

If we experience problems it is always AC.

I suspect they get bashed about more regularly.
              Tsneal

Post by Tsneal »

Tsneal wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:18 pm I have also had my ID3 a couple of months and have only had charging problems with SWARCO chargers that have been marked as faulty. My experiences are:

Have now had the Car 7 months with some issues:
              • Charged at Tesco Risca CCS on way into Wales (no issue) but on way back the CCS charger cut off after 10 kWh transferred.
                • 3 attempts to restart did not clear the issue.
                Charged at Grid serve (Michael wood services and Brent Knoll) but never achieved more than 35kW, despite being below 40%.
                Charged at Lidl Coleford, Lidl Chard, Lidl Blackwater, Tesco Stourport, Osprey Andover, Lidl Blackwater, Lidl Paignton - all without issue.
              sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Tsneal wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:59 pm
              Tsneal wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:18 pm I have also had my ID3 a couple of months and have only had charging problems with SWARCO chargers that have been marked as faulty. My experiences are:

Have now had the Car 7 months with some issues:
              • Charged at Tesco Risca CCS on way into Wales (no issue) but on way back the CCS charger cut off after 10 kWh transferred.
                • 3 attempts to restart did not clear the issue.
                Charged at Grid serve (Michael wood services and Brent Knoll) but never achieved more than 35kW, despite being below 40%.
                Charged at Lidl Coleford, Lidl Chard, Lidl Blackwater, Tesco Stourport, Osprey Andover, Lidl Blackwater, Lidl Paignton - all without issue.
              Gridserve chargers, except for the large hubs with 350kw chargers, all seem to be effectively limited to 35-45kw range, possibly except for 800V cars. They are on the old supplies that were put in for defunct Ecotricity chargers, which have limited capability. This is nothing to do with your specific car or the ID3 in general, it's a Gridserve thing. The 120kw badge is garbage, it's not achievable.
              ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
              Skippy

Post by Skippy »

I did my first long(ish) trip from West Cornwall to Yeovil at the weekend. No problems on the outward journey (started at 100% and charged to 80% on a Gridserve charger at Exeter Services. On the way home, the nav directed me to an Ionity 350kw charger at a Porsche dealer in Exeter (it doesn’t show any of the Gridserve chargers anywhere as far as I can see). The dealer was closed and the charger not available. Went on to a Genie 50kw charger at Whitehouse services which was out of service, then on to Strawberry fields at Lifton. First 6 attempts at charging on the Podpoint 50kw there failed, despite the machine taking £30 from my debit card. Tried another charger, failed again. Finally achieved it using a credit card instead of a debit card.

Overall a thoroughly unsatisfactory experience. I wasted hours trying to charge the car and I am deeply unimpressed with the information available in the navigation system. Android Auto was far more helpful. The car is great to drive, but the amount of planning required for a journey of 150 miles or so is ridiculous, and it is very difficult to cope with short notice changes.

Rant over!
              Family Pro Performance Moonstone Grey
              Ordered 26 Nov 2021
              Listers Nuneaton
              Order No: 31568xxx
              Build week : Unconfirmed
              Delivered: 23 Sept 22
              White Zappi 7kW - Tethered
              DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Skippy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:58 pm Rant over!
              Something needs to change. I am dreading this, I have sold the idea of a BEV to my wife saying it'll be fine.

Worthy rant I'd say.
              Motability Customer
              VW ID.3 Max
              Newfie

Post by Newfie »

I'm afraid the VW Nav is very limited on what chargers are shown and even the info on them is not always correct.
              The charging infrastructure still has a long way to go and with this you really need to plan your journey and not rely on Sat Nav and especially the VW Sat Nav.
              ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
              On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
              G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Skippy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:58 pm I did my first long(ish) trip from West Cornwall to Yeovil at the weekend. No problems on the outward journey (started at 100% and charged to 80% on a Gridserve charger at Exeter Services. On the way home, the nav directed me to an Ionity 350kw charger at a Porsche dealer in Exeter (it doesn’t show any of the Gridserve chargers anywhere as far as I can see). The dealer was closed and the charger not available. Went on to a Genie 50kw charger at Whitehouse services which was out of service, then on to Strawberry fields at Lifton. First 6 attempts at charging on the Podpoint 50kw there failed, despite the machine taking £30 from my debit card. Tried another charger, failed again. Finally achieved it using a credit card instead of a debit card.

Overall a thoroughly unsatisfactory experience. I wasted hours trying to charge the car and I am deeply unimpressed with the information available in the navigation system. Android Auto was far more helpful. The car is great to drive, but the amount of planning required for a journey of 150 miles or so is ridiculous, and it is very difficult to cope with short notice changes.

Rant over!
              It's been said many times, the We Charge app is worse than useless, worse not because it doesn't show all the chargers but because a lot it does show are actually private and unavailable. Unfortunately any journey now requires a few minutes on Zap Map or ABRP to identify Primary and Secondary charging stops and if necesary setting off in such a way that the best can be made of the hubs that are appearing. I don't know what mileage you did in Yeovil but if you left Exeter at 80% and only went to Yeovil, I would have planned to return via the same stop as it's got 12 Rapids. In fact for anyone coming and going from deep into cornwall it's almost the essential first/last stop currently by the looks of it.
              I'm sure with Hindsight you'd already considered that.
              sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:01 pm
              Skippy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:58 pm I did my first long(ish) trip from West Cornwall to Yeovil at the weekend. No problems on the outward journey (started at 100% and charged to 80% on a Gridserve charger at Exeter Services. On the way home, the nav directed me to an Ionity 350kw charger at a Porsche dealer in Exeter (it doesn’t show any of the Gridserve chargers anywhere as far as I can see). The dealer was closed and the charger not available. Went on to a Genie 50kw charger at Whitehouse services which was out of service, then on to Strawberry fields at Lifton. First 6 attempts at charging on the Podpoint 50kw there failed, despite the machine taking £30 from my debit card. Tried another charger, failed again. Finally achieved it using a credit card instead of a debit card.

Rant over!
              It's been said many times, the We Charge app is worse than useless, worse not because it doesn't show all the chargers but because a lot it does show are actually private and unavailable. Unfortunately any journey now requires a few minutes on Zap Map or ABRP to identify Primary and Secondary charging stops and if necesary setting off in such a way that the best can be made of the hubs that are appearing. I don't know what mileage you did in Yeovil but if you left Exeter at 80% and only went to Yeovil, I would have planned to return via the same stop as it's got 12 Rapids. In fact for anyone coming and going from deep into cornwall it's almost the essential first/last stop currently by the looks of it.
              I'm sure with Hindsight you'd already considered that.
              Although having said all of that, the wecharge app does show Gridserve chargers unless you have filtered only on chargers compatible with wecharge, which Gridserve aren't.
              MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The octopus Electroverse app is really good. Seems to list all the chargers with a decent interface and range of filters. Free and works with car play etc… you don’t need an octopus electric universe charge card either.

A nail in the coffin of WattsUp I think…
              sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

MotMot wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:07 pm The octopus Electroverse app is really good. Seems to list all the chargers with a decent interface and range of filters. Free and works with car play etc… you don’t need an octopus electric universe charge card either.

It's worth being wary of Electroverse charging site data at the moment and double checking it another app. It still shows a lot of triple headed Osprey chargers as three connection points when you have filtered on CCS and it's a single 50kw unit. There are also some sites that say correctly that they have two points, but when you filter on sites with two chargers, they disappear. There are also some sites that it claims work with electroverse, but don't. Basically there is some bad data in there, similar to wecharge. It will be good if it sorts this out though.
              I really like wattsup but its filtering options need to become more flexible.
              monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MotMot wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:07 pm The octopus Electroverse app is really good. Seems to list all the chargers with a decent interface and range of filters. Free and works with car play etc… you don’t need an octopus electric universe charge card either.

2 weeks ago I tried 3 chargers with a great Electroverse rate on my 500 mile round trip, and 3 for 3, they would not accept my electroverse card, nor could you use them via the app without the card. Used the chargers with my debit card in the end, albeit at a far higher kWh rate than anticipated. The 350kW Ionity was deathly slow too. Absolutely crap for me.
              Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
              the.kes

Post by the.kes »

Rant over!
              Similar to my experiences going from the Peak District to Weston Super Mare and back in a day last week, time wasted finding a working charger or one that I could actually get close to added to my journey time.
              Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
              Commission 314710**
              Ordered 16/09/2021
              Collected 19/10/2022