iD3 refusing to charge on public chargers

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Dollydollop

Post by Dollydollop »

I've had my id3 for a couple of months and am besotted with it....or I was. I went to visit my sister in Plymouth last week. I live in Stroud so this meant I would have to recharge before I got to her. I scheduled a stop at Exeter Moto Services thinking I could have lunch while it charged. Anyway, I got to the services and found that there were 3 chargers - all of which were occupied with other cars waiting. No problem I thought, I'll go to IKEA. Got there in 2 minutes and got straight onto a 50kw charger. While I had a plate of IKEA's most excellent meatballs, my car charged with no problem. Off I tootled to 'the Muff' and had a great time with my batty sister. We did a few miles so I thought I'd put in a top up charge as I was down to a range of 80 miles. Luckily there is a Morrison's supermarket near her with a 50kw charger (just the one) which was occupied on both occasions I went. We then went into the town centre and went to the BarCode car park which had 6 Genie Point chargers. 2 were free and I hooked up with my own cable (brand new) No charge. Moved to another charger - still no charge. Deciding they were faulty I left a note on the three cars that were charging asking if the drivers could phone me when they were finished. One, very kindly, did so I hotfooted it back to the car park to plug in to the recently vacated charge point. No go. Now I'd read reviews about Genie Point chargers being as much use as a chocolate teapot but I was still concerned it was my cabe so I went to the VW dealership and plugged into their charger - it worked - and tried my cable - it worked. So it wasn't my car - it was the chargers. Or was it? On my third visit the Morrison's charger was vacant so I plugged in and it worked!. Used the car again so when I left Plymouth to come home I again needed to charge en route. Rather than waiting until I was low on charge I stopped at Taunton Deane Services - one charger - occupied. Went to Bridgwater Services - one charger - occupied. Went to Sedgemoor services - 2 chargers - one in use one vacant. Plugged in - wouldn't charge. (Ecotricity) . Checked Zap-Map and found there were 6 chargers at McDonalds, Cribbs Causeway. Got there with 40 miles range and 35 miles to get home. Ionity chargers - all as new in excellent condition. Plugged in - Guess what? Wouldn't charge. Tried three other chargers with the same problem. Unfortunately each time you plug in the chargers debit your card £15 so I'm now £60 down and still no charge and am so stressed that my Parkinson's is really kicking in and I am a tremoring sobbing, nearly hysterical mess. All I could do was head home and hope for the best. I crept home up the A38 - I didn't dare use the motorway - and by driving below 40mph I limped home with 15 miles left on the clock. Plugged into my home charger and it charged.

A friend of ours with an iD3 had the same problem. Arriving on the ferry late one night, they tried 5 different chargers with no luck and ended up having to be brought home on the back of a rescue truck. Now I cannot believe that we are the only two drivers of iD3s who have had problems with charging. Can anyone who has experienced charging problems please get in touch through this forum and let's see how big a problem it is. In the meantime I will be writing a rather lengthy (as you can see I do lengthy!!!) email to the Secretary of State for Transport, the Rt Hon Grant Shapps, and take him to task on the appalling lack of chargers on the public road network. ALL motorway service areas should have at least 6 chargers - preferably ones that work and have legible instructions/help information. Had I bought a Tesla, like my husband, I would have had access to Superchargers up and down the motorway network. He has NEVER had to queue for a charger.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Report it to your dealer, I’ve never had issues such as those.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

So, I have found (over here) that any charger that doesn't handshake via app/RFID/swipe doesn't work, period.

We have quite a few free ones here so it's more prevalent than you would think.

Any charger that has to have a handshake "triggered" works fine, every time.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Most odd.
In the meantime I will be writing a rather lengthy (as you can see I do lengthy!!!) email to the Secretary of State for Transport, the Rt Hon Grant Shapps, and take him to task on the appalling lack of chargers on the public road network
Appreciate you're annoyed but you're far better off writing to the CEO of each of the places where charge failed and complaining at them. If you're appealing to Grant Shapps' better nature or common sense, I wish you well finding either of those long lost items.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
IDontknow

Post by IDontknow »

Utumno wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:40 pm
If you're appealing to Grant Shapps' better nature or common sense, I wish you well finding either of those long lost items.
:lol: :lol:
Dollydollop

Post by Dollydollop »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:25 pm Report it to your dealer, I’ve never had issues such as those.
It was the first thing I did. The car is booked in for a diagnostic check.
Dollydollop

Post by Dollydollop »

Anduain wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:28 pm So, I have found (over here) that any charger that doesn't handshake via app/RFID/swipe doesn't work, period.

Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by handshake?
Dollydollop

Post by Dollydollop »

Utumno wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:40 pm Most odd.
In the meantime I will be writing a rather lengthy (as you can see I do lengthy!!!) email to the Secretary of State for Transport, the Rt Hon Grant Shapps, and take him to task on the appalling lack of chargers on the public road network
Appreciate you're annoyed but you're far better off writing to the CEO of each of the places where charge failed and complaining at them. If you're appealing to Grant Shapps' better nature or common sense, I wish you well finding either of those long lost items.
I hear what you’re saying and, yes, Grant Shapps’ ethics are questionable, but until I know whether the fault is with the chargers or my car it isn’t worth moaning at the CEOs (as other vehicles were charging quite happily I suspect it’s my car at fault)
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Dollydollop wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:37 am
Anduain wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:28 pm So, I have found (over here) that any charger that doesn't handshake via app/RFID/swipe doesn't work, period.

Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by handshake?
Sorry :(

Some chargers require you to authenticate via an App or RFID tag when you plug in the cable, this then sends a message to the car to start charging. Think of a handshake, me offering my hand, you take it and we shake.

Here, some don't, you just plug and they start charging the car, with the car saying "I see something plugged in" - this never works for us, and we've sat next to other drivers where they plug and go and we try and nothing happens.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

IDontknow wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:02 pm
If you're appealing to Grant Shapps' better nature or common sense, I wish you well finding either of those long lost items.
Why don't you write to Grant's boss? He won't address your question but will send you the directions to Peppa Pig World, which will include en-route chargers.
Dollydollop

Post by Dollydollop »

Scratch wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:42 am
IDontknow wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:02 pm

Why don't you write to Grant's boss? He won't address your question but will send you the directions to Peppa Pig World, which will include en-route chargers.
😂😂😂😂😂😂
Spi

Post by Spi »

Experienced the same last week with new car in Crown Carpark Ipswich, EOnfree charger… failed.

Today tried 3 chargers in same place none worked. Helpful IBC carpark staff said they’d only ever seen issues with BMWs…..

Any ideas?
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Any error messages? Description of at what poini it failed?

Some chargers need the plug holding into the cars socket during handshake in order to start the charge?
Spi

Post by Spi »

Can’t recall exact words but it was a failed refer to manual
Dmoon92

Post by Dmoon92 »

I've had my Id3 for over a year now and this is one of the things that drives me insane.

From what I can gather the car doesn't like doing 3 rapid charges in a row. The 3rd has to be done through AC, even just for 15 mins then it'll accept the rapid charge again.

I'm not sure if this is built it as a battery protection measure but not ideal if you're having to charge a couple of times heading north to South.

Hadn't been a massive issue for me as I'm mostly driving 120 miles round trip but if I had to go further, it would make me very nervous.
JPH76

Post by JPH76 »

Hi All, long time lurker but owner of an ID3 Family.

Had to step in here to say that the ID3 can take 3 rapid chargers in a row, as I undertook a journey from Cornwall to Derby and back last weekend (530 miles). From Derby to an MFG in Birmingham (42%-80%) straight down M5 to Bristol to Filton MFG (38%-80%) then to Ionity Cullompton just to make sure I could get over Dartmoor as the weather and head wind was crap (56%-65%) no problems at all.

At the Filton charge I stopped the charge mid way by accident and had to restart so in all, 4 Rapid charges started on one day and 6 in total over 2 days with no AC charge at any point..
Last edited by JPH76 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

"From what I can gather the car doesn't like doing 3 rapid charges in a row. The 3rd has to be done through AC, even just for 15 mins then it'll accept the rapid charge again."

I have done several long journeys and never encountered this. I am sure I have also used fast charging more than three times in a row on several other occasions too.
CoalPorter

Post by CoalPorter »

the car doesn't like doing 3 rapid charges in a row
I’ve never heard that before, and it doesn’t tally with my (admittedly limited) experience. I took my car over to Norfolk a few months ago - five rapid charges over the weekend, including four (modest top-ups) on a single day, no problem.
rawws

Post by rawws »

I use rapid chargers more than I do AC and never experienced any issues charging have done 7k miles. Only issues had always been the charger itself not the car I only use the most reliable 4 rapid chargers, shell recharge, podpoints, instavolts osprey no issues at all. Sound like issue with your car. Have done few trips Glasgow to Devon ING 5 times rapid chargers no issues.
ID3 Business Pro Performance 58kw
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Dmoon92 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:07 am From what I can gather the car doesn't like doing 3 rapid charges in a row.

Not observed that behaviour with mine.