ABRP and EVnotify via OBDii - confirmed working

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
mawright89

Post by mawright89 »

So I got fed up of trolling the different forums trying to find a cheap way to get live data from my id3 family into ABRP. Since Tronity doesn't support live data while driving for the ID3 for some reason I had to go the ODBii route.

Ordered one from Amazon and it worked right off the bat. No paid sub to ABRP or any payment to EVnotify. Just download both and link the 2 apps via the ABRP app and once the Bluetooth ODBii dongle is connected via the EVnotify app all the data appeared in ABRP.

Link to the dongle is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07SQL ... asin_title#

If that link doesn't work it's the for "vgate icar pro" dongle. That's the one that has worked for me.

Enjoy

Edit: using an android phone. Cannot be sure iOS will work. Have nothing to test it with.

Edit2: doesn't require EVnotify. Can connect to the dongle natively through ABRP. Perfect.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I’ve ordered one, been thinking about it for a while 👍
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

No need for EVnotify now as ABRP will link direct to your BLE dongle. Works perfectly.

Still don’t really like ABRP (sorry - know it has a lot of fans)
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

MotMot wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:48 pm No need for EVnotify now as ABRP will link direct to your BLE dongle. Works perfectly.

Still don’t really like ABRP (sorry - know it has a lot of fans)

The latest UI update is a relatively big step forward - in that it now behaves much more like a conventional route planning app with EV specific options rather than seemingly flinging stuff randomly at a screen. The settings are is still a bilious shipshow though.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

As an aside, I don't understand why the SOC isn't fed into the standard VW sat nav? The GOM seems to reach far and wide.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

DumfriesDik wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:10 am As an aside, I don't understand why the SOC isn't fed into the standard VW sat nav? The GOM seems to reach far and wide.

It is, at the start of a route plan at least.

The map can shade out areas that you can’t “reach” and plan “essential” charging stops.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

It’s a real shame Vw can’t get the predicted SOC at destination up on the nav page - as this is the most useful feature of the integration in ABRP for me…
mawright89

Post by mawright89 »

So I am running into a problem with this setup tho. It seems to reset the link to the app and asks me to reconnect the app to the car if I leave the dongle in. Might be just for the long journeys this. Anyone had a similar experience?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Guys, sorry for the basic question - I'm not worried about abrp but if I want to view live data from the car, can I just buy one of these dongles (as per the link above) and download an app (EV Notify?) What data do you see, should it include things like the battery temperatures that are shown in some youtubers' videos?
Ta
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I use the carscanner app. Links directly to the OBD dongle and let’s you see loads of data.

Word of warning - sometimes (not always) if I leave the dongle plugged in it sets off my alarn when locked.