Car won't engage drive or reverse

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

So, parked up tonight after work on the drive, my other half wants the car in the morning for work instead of hers, so go to swap them round, as she's got a 5.30 start, and my ID.3 lights up a load of error messages and won't engage drive or reverse! :o

20220117_192712.jpg

20220117_192718.jpg

20220117_192725.jpg

20220117_192734.jpg

20220117_192740.jpg

Any suggestions?

I've got out, locked and unlocked a few times, done a hard reset of the centre display, zwit he'd it on and off with the start/stop button...
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Rather than some major catastrophe with the drive itself, it's likely that the drive selector switch hanging from the instrument screen is kaput. Easy fix if they can get the part.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

But not a fix between now and 5.30am…
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:09 pm Rather than some major catastrophe with the drive itself, it's likely that the drive selector switch hanging from the instrument screen is kaput. Easy fix if they can get the part.
I know it'll not be a massive thing, but if it won't go, it won't go, doesn't matter if its the motor, or the gear selector.

If it is the gear selector it must be a really poor quality part or poorly designed part, as I don't switch between D and B, and just use it to start the car.

I've left it for a bit longer and will give it another go in a minute, and if not I'll give the VW assistance number a ring.

Looks like the ol' ebike will be getting charged up for a cold ride to work in the morning, as the Mrs will just use her own car tomorrow!

I think the ID.3 must have over heard that she wanted to pinch it for the morning.
Last edited by Blackeunos on Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Utumno wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:22 pm But not a fix between now and 5.30am…
Well thats the thing, she has her own car, but prefers mine!
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Blackeunos wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:48 pm
Utumno wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:22 pm But not a fix between now and 5.30am…
Well thats the thing, she has her own car, but prefers mine!

+1 for your vehicle selection then? 😂
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
craig

Post by craig »

how did you get on ?
VW ID3 Max Pro Performance Glacier White Metallic
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

craig wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:44 am how did you get on ?
Sorry, thought Id updated this post last night.

All sorted. Went back to it after an hour, tried it, no sign of the errors, stupid flipping car!
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

My drive selector failed on Boxing day and the recovery of an ID.3 can be an entertaining process. I didn't get those errors however. It's a very quick replace, and mine was done in a day. As the AA had left it in the VW dealers compound and it couldn't be moved, the repair was done in situ, so I suspect very simple. (Was glad they had one in stock.)
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

In the same situation, I would lock up for 20 minutes then try again, or call VW Roadside Assistance.
jhg

Post by jhg »

Blackeunos wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:09 am
Sorry, thought Id updated this post last night.

All sorted. Went back to it after an hour, tried it, no sign of the errors, stupid flipping car!
If I were you I would definitely book the car into the workshop to get the part changed. Even though the car is now working again the faults should still be in the log.

I had a similar experience with mine. On about three occasions the car wouldn't go into Drive or Reverse but was OK after locking/unlocking the car or waiting a few minutes The next time it occurred this did not fix the problem, leaving me stranded and having to call out VW Assist. After the D/R selector was replaced this issue has never recurred.
ID.3 Tech Pro Perf, Glacier White, May 2021
Wallbox Pulsar Plus
ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

I had this problem today while driving along minding my own business. I was in B mode, the car lurched forward and a message "problem with drive - please visit workshop" appeared. I noticed that the selector positions (R N D B) were all white and it appeared I was now in D mode. Fortunately I was just about to enter the car park so had some room to manoeuvre. I was unable to engage any other mode (good job I didn't drive into a bay first!) I switched ignition off then on, but was then stuck in N. Went for a swim and when I came back it was working fine. Rather worrying though.

I have noticed the selector switch felt a bit "sticky" at times recently - more resistance to flipping than usual. Booked in for service next week and I'll mention this thread.
Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.