Connecting Dash Cam

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Engineer999

Post by Engineer999 »

Just taken delivery of our id3 and found that there is no usb outlet to plug in the dash cam. Searched on Amazon for a charging adapter, rather than just a data transfer( if they work they tend to get warm according to reviews) but search criteria soon degenerates and irrelevant. Concerned about running 350mAh dashcam via adaptors, has anyone had success with this.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

There are USB ports in the centre console, they are USB-C so you could get a different lead or an adaptor.

An alternative is to get a piggy back fuse and run a feed from the fuse panel in the glovebox:

DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I have seen, but can not find now, a YouTube video of plugging into the 12v outlet in the boot and running the wire to the front. Suggest Googling it. Sorry I can not find the video.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
TimF

Post by TimF »

Connecting a front dashcam is straightforward (at least for Nextbase units) - it's a standard VW option (I assume there's a spare 12V supply point somewhere in the camera and other stuff by the rearview mirror). Since we didn't want to mess around with trim panels, we added this to the order and also got the dealer to instal the Nextbase cable from front to rear. We supplied that cable, part of the installation transferred from previous car.

I'm not at all sure why the car's front camera can't be used as a dashcam - all it would need is somewhere to plug in an SD card, and a minor update to the camera's software module. Using the standard rear camera would be difficult, unless one was only concerned to record what happens when reversing!
the.kes

Post by the.kes »

VW do their own "universal traffic recorder" fitted and supplied for £473.50 but it is not shown as available for any of the ID range only the ICE models, anyone any experience of having one fitted to an ID3?
Last edited by the.kes on Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
ashmcmac

Post by ashmcmac »

I fitted a next base dashcam using plug in the boot , very easy to hide the cable behind the rubbers ( trim ) and it left a very neat job .p.s ….went along the roof option rather than floor .