Audio CDs

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
LordMouldySort

Post by LordMouldySort »

I am happily playing media via CarPlay but I have a pile of CDs I'd like to listen to without converting them to MP3s.

Has anyone played audio CDs via an external USB-C CD/DVD drive? If so, which one?

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Haven't.heard anyone doing that - if its possible, I could see some plugging a USB record player to have their vinyl on the move. :lol:

I have downloaded FLACs of albums I own and have them on a USB C stick to play in the car.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 1676

Post by Deleted User 1676 »

See, now you’ve got me looking at my Eight Track tapes…
bupkis

Post by bupkis »

I have my albums in FLAC format on a server running Plex. The Plexamp app plays through CarPlay. Allows me to have my entire collection in CD quality for as long as I have a mobile signal. I did have to rip them from CD, but you only have to do that once.

Of course, the idea of having a 'collection' rather than a set of playlists in Spotify is itself something of a throwback. The advantage of Plex is that it does all the 'Artist Radio'/Mood playlists/Genre playlist, etc. that an app like Spotify does but using my own CDs.
Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Just given this a try using an external USB CD drive. The car detected and recognised the CD drive and you could insert and eject CD’s. The bad news is that when you go into Media to play the CD it wants to connect to the external device via MirrorLink in order to detect the music data and play it. This will obviously not work with a dumb CD player.
So, based in my fiddling around for about 40mins I’d say you can’t do what you want. Only alternative is to rip your CD’s to a USB stick, formatted as FAT32, which is what I do.
ID.3 Max owner. Located East Dorset, UK.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Trantor wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:08 pm Only alternative is to rip your CD’s to a USB stick, formatted as FAT32, which is what I do.
Exactly what I do. Works really well using Audacity [free] where you can choose what quality you need too.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
LordMouldySort

Post by LordMouldySort »

Trantor wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:08 pm Just given this a try using an external USB CD drive. The car detected and recognised the CD drive and you could insert and eject CD’s. The bad news is that when you go into Media to play the CD it wants to connect to the external device via MirrorLink in order to detect the music data and play it. This will obviously not work with a dumb CD player.
So, based in my fiddling around for about 40mins I’d say you can’t do what you want. Only alternative is to rip your CD’s to a USB stick, formatted as FAT32, which is what I do.
I really appreciate that. I was thinking about buying one to see whether I could get it to work.