Scheduled Charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
CynicMe

Post by CynicMe »

Hi All

I am not sure if anyone else has had this issue. I have a Podpoint charger and used the scheduled charging for the first time the other night. I had it set to start charging at 00:30 and stop charging at 04:30.

I didn't really have high hopes for it being successful from reading other peoples stories about scheduled charging. But mine did start on time - the issue is that it didn't stop at 04:30. It carried on charging until 08:50.

Has anyone else had this problem where the charging wont stop at the scheduled stop time?

By the way, the car isn't set on any charging times. The charging schedule is set on the Podpoint app. I did have the car set to charge up to 80% as usual.

Thanks.
21/07/21: ordered VW ID3 Life pro
10/10/21: received VW Order No: 3136xxxx
05/12/21: dealer offered someone's cancelled order - own car not built yet
23/12/21: car had arrived in the UK
29/12/21; picked up car from dealership :D

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I have the podpoint solo and that has been perfect since install in November last year.
I think threads on schedules not working mainly relate to the broken in-car scheduling.
The obvious things are to make sure you dont have any schedules stored in the car as you have done, that there is no location stored in the car, the max charge is set to 80% in the app and the car.
If that fails I think its a call to podpoint.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Mine did that first time, make sure you have a schedule set for every day otherwise it tends to start up again
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
CynicMe

Post by CynicMe »

Thanks guys! I had already set the charging schedule to be the same every day. I'm going to test it tonight and see if it stops at the actual time I've put it at.
21/07/21: ordered VW ID3 Life pro
10/10/21: received VW Order No: 3136xxxx
05/12/21: dealer offered someone's cancelled order - own car not built yet
23/12/21: car had arrived in the UK
29/12/21; picked up car from dealership :D
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Let us know how you get on.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Adamous

Post by Adamous »

I also set the in-car charge settings to 4 hour slot overnight and generally it works ok but sometimes cuts in at other times for no apparent reason but maybe when charge gets low. My app says ‘conservation charging active’. I’ve not found an explanation for this but assume it relates to the preferred charging times having been set ?

I don’t have leave times set for every day, so maybe this will prevent random charging times ?
davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

I've had the same 'conservation charging active' message under random conditions while testing a similar '4-hour slot' charging window.

I have an Ohme charger and needed to set the car settings for preconditioning at 30 mins just before driving in the morning, while on a less-expensive time-slot for charging in the early hours. The working configuration took some time to achieve, but it now works reliably as expected.

This is a different issue to the OP and Podpoint charging issue though, so apologies for the thread derail.
71 / 2021 ID.3 Life Pro Performance, Glacier White, Andoya Wheels
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
ID3first

Post by ID3first »

I have a First Edition ID.3 with the latest software update (3.0) which I hoped would resolve the location charging function not working. My locations still erase themselves regularly and when they don't, charging to the set % and finish time does not work. I can only charge when the locations and preferred times are not set and then the car charges immediately. This makes charging at cheaper rates inconvenient to say the least. My dealer is aware of the issues but seems unable to liaise with VW technical folks to resolve them thus far.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

ID3first wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:25 pm I have a First Edition ID.3 with the latest software update (3.0) which I hoped would resolve the location charging function not working. My locations still erase themselves regularly and when they don't, charging to the set % and finish time does not work. I can only charge when the locations and preferred times are not set and then the car charges immediately. This makes charging at cheaper rates inconvenient to say the least. My dealer is aware of the issues but seems unable to liaise with VW technical folks to resolve them thus far.
Have you had 2.4 done at the dealer and then the big two part 3.0 download already all finished then? I didn't realise the over the air 3.0 had actually landed yet.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Stelvis95

Post by Stelvis95 »

Similar issues here, on both our PodPoint and Ohme when you set the chargers to schedule at 00:30 to 04:30 my car only charges at 4kw, that's knky 15kw per 4 hours which is far too slow.
My wife's Corsa E charges fine at the right speed on both chargers.
I have now resorted to leaving the chargers on and setting the car schedule to start the charge at 00:30 which it does, however I have to input a new location each time as they dissappear from the infotainment system constantly.
I have version 2.4 done a couple of weeks ago.
If anyone has answers that would be helpful.

ID3 2022 Max Pro Performance Scale Silver v2.4
ID.3 Max 58KWh Pro Performance 204PS Scale Silver (May 2022 v2.4)
Ohme Home charger.
Pod Point Solus 3
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

ID3first wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:25 pm I have a First Edition ID.3 with the latest software update (3.0) which I hoped would resolve the location charging function not working. My locations still erase themselves regularly and when they don't, charging to the set % and finish time does not work. I can only charge when the locations and preferred times are not set and then the car charges immediately. This makes charging at cheaper rates inconvenient to say the least. My dealer is aware of the issues but seems unable to liaise with VW technical folks to resolve them thus far.
I don’t think you can be on 3.0, it’s not been released yet. What are your version numbers?

Most people with a smart charger clear everything under ‘locations’ in the car and just rely on the smart charger schedule.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Stelvis95 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:23 pm Similar issues here, on both our PodPoint and Ohme when you set the chargers to schedule at 00:30 to 04:30 my car only charges at 4kw, that's knky 15kw per 4 hours which is far too slow.
My wife's Corsa E charges fine at the right speed on both chargers.
I have now resorted to leaving the chargers on and setting the car schedule to start the charge at 00:30 which it does, however I have to input a new location each time as they dissappear from the infotainment system constantly.
I have version 2.4 done a couple of weeks ago.
If anyone has answers that would be helpful.

ID3 2022 Max Pro Performance Scale Silver v2.4
Have you cleared everything on the car ‘location’ settings? Clear it all down on the car side, besides the SoC level.
I had a similar issue and that resolved it. I just use my wallbox pulsar schedule settings.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Stelvis95

Post by Stelvis95 »

Yes, I cleared the locations and even did a factory reset on the infotainment system but I still get slow
Charging when scheduled.
ID.3 Max 58KWh Pro Performance 204PS Scale Silver (May 2022 v2.4)
Ohme Home charger.
Pod Point Solus 3
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Stelvis95 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:08 pm Yes, I cleared the locations and even did a factory reset on the infotainment system but I still get slow
Charging when scheduled.
I don't know about podpoint but several users found a solution that worked for Ohme to fix this. Ohme developed a different in-app profile for the ID3 that changed the signals it sends to the car, in response to this problem. You need to de-register your car from the Ohme app and re-register using the ID3 profile that includes the term 'CPWL'. Don't worry if it says ID3 1st and yours isn't a 1st edition.
WeConnectID app and the car itself should obviously have no charging settings input except for the limit.
If there is a different root cause in your case then this may not work but it's definitely worth a try.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Your one of the first I kknow of to have gone through the 2.4 then 3.0 udate, how long did it all take? How long after the 2.4 battery swap before the 3.0 update was offered in car?
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

Morning all,

I’m also having some trouble getting the car to charge properly.

I have an Indra SmartPro charger that worked flawlessly with my Zoe and gave the full 7kW. In the ID.3 however I can’t seem to get more than 19kW overnight despite setting the car to charge for 6 hours (23:30-5:30).

I have tried using the location based settings in the car with no charger schedule, this only gets me about 20% charge overnight regardless of the SoC it starts with.

I have also tried no car settings and only having the charger schedule but that seems to not work either? The charge indicator blinks white for a little while, then goes to a solid red and stays that way. The charger then doesn’t recognise a car is plugged in and nothing happens.

Any advice would be appreciated as I’m struggling to get a decent level of charge and will require a full battery Sunday morning which I’ve not had since day one of having the car.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Sdotk wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:34 am Morning all,

I’m also having some trouble getting the car to charge properly.

I have an Indra SmartPro charger that worked flawlessly with my Zoe and gave the full 7kW. In the ID.3 however I can’t seem to get more than 19kW overnight despite setting the car to charge for 6 hours (23:30-5:30).

I have tried using the location based settings in the car with no charger schedule, this only gets me about 20% charge overnight regardless of the SoC it starts with.

I have also tried no car settings and only having the charger schedule but that seems to not work either? The charge indicator blinks white for a little while, then goes to a solid red and stays that way. The charger then doesn’t recognise a car is plugged in and nothing happens.

Any advice would be appreciated as I’m struggling to get a decent level of charge and will require a full battery Sunday morning which I’ve not had since day one of having the car.
I am having similar issues although I have a Zappi EVSE. Word on the grapevine is that VW ID cars (some maybe all) may be having some sort of charging problem. My VW dealer took a look at our car this morning and tried it on their ac and dc chargers, without any issues at all. Having said that, they then booked it in for further checks. The tech I spoke to implied there are a number of different, but maybe related charging issues with various EVSEs. Doesn’t help, I know.
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

[/quote]
I am having similar issues although I have a Zappi EVSE. Word on the grapevine is that VW ID cars (some maybe all) may be having some sort of charging problem. My VW dealer took a look at our car this morning and tried it on their ac and dc chargers, without any issues at all. Having said that, they then booked it in for further checks. The tech I spoke to implied there are a number of different, but maybe related charging issues with various EVSEs. Doesn’t help, I know.
[/quote]

I don’t have any problems if the charging is started straight away so not sure if taking the car to a dealer would help? The cars schedule seems to either charge for only a couple of hours or pulls a really low charge rate for the full 6. I’ve checked the reduce AC setting and that’s off so it can’t be that.

I could go out and plug the car in at 23:30 as I tend to be awake and have it do an immediate charge but I shouldn’t have to do that, my Zoe and MG4 gave me zero issues with scheduled charging either via the car or the charger itself. Slightly frustrating that I’m not able to resolve this.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Sdotk wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:12 pm
[/quote]

I don’t have any problems if the charging is started straight away so not sure if taking the car to a dealer would help? The cars schedule seems to either charge for only a couple of hours or pulls a really low charge rate for the full 6. I’ve checked the reduce AC setting and that’s off so it can’t be that.

I could go out and plug the car in at 23:30 as I tend to be awake and have it do an immediate charge but I shouldn’t have to do that, my Zoe and MG4 gave me zero issues with scheduled charging either via the car or the charger itself. Slightly frustrating that I’m not able to resolve this.
[/quote]
I would try again with the scheduling done via the car and the charger set to charge immediately. I've never heard anyone gets limited charge rate like that on up to date software. Hopefully it was a one-off or you didn't set it up right. Make completely sure there is no schedule set in the charger (ie it will charge immediately if the car is plugged without a schedule).
The symptoms you describe are common when scheduling via a charger. Often it can be fixed by the charger supplier doing a remote update to modify the signals it sends to the car. Otherwise the solution is to schedule charge through the car (which to be honest works very well anyway unless you want to use solar via a zappi).
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

I’ve now tried deleting all schedules from both car and charger and adding a new one on the charger only (schedule on car only was really throttling my charge rate as mentioned).

So far so good, despite the car indicating red when I plugged in, the charge started at 23:30 but annoyingly my battery was at 81% already (I need the car at full for Sunday hence the charging regardless of %) so I won’t know if this attempt has sorted my issues out.

Hopefully just some teething issues, otherwise I quite like the car overall.

Edit - didn’t realise the wife used it today so battery is actually at 72%. If I’m at 100% in the morning I’ll take that as a potential success seeing as I can’t seem to add more than 20% over night at the moment.

Edit 2 - and yet again the charge stopped randomly??

Did some googling, I have a feeling it’s something to do with Intelligent Octopus Go smart charging. Nothing else could be throttling my charging that I can think of. So I’ve now turned off the smart charging function in the Octopus app but won’t know if that’s the fix until I get to a low enough battery charge.