Front sensor issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Jamh2000

Post by Jamh2000 »

This is the first ‘real’ issue I’ve had in the first year of ownership. When I start up I get errors saying that front assist is limited, lane assist not available and road sign detection is not working.

I assume this must be an issue with one of the sensors. Normally this is because there is grime or snow/ice on the car but this is not the case here (well there is a thin layer of dust but nothing major). Before I call the dealer I don’t suppose anyone has any suggestions?
ID.3 Life Pro, Manganese Grey

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Might be the update - if you’ve not had it already…
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

That does sound like the 2.3 software update might have started downloading. Do you see an option on the goodbye screen, to update the software? It can take a while to appear as there's quite a bit of data to download.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

We had that with both the 2.3 update and then just this week the update that was ota for the manual. It doesn't last long.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Jamh2000

Post by Jamh2000 »

Thanks all. Took a bit of investigation and a couple of download attempts but now seems to be sorted.
ID.3 Life Pro, Manganese Grey
Stargazer

Post by Stargazer »

I’m constantly getting a “please clean front parking sensors” message, despite the sensors being scrupulously clean. One, however, does have a very small scratch - possibly a stone chip. Could this be the reason? Anyone else had the problem?
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Stargazer wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:45 pm I’m constantly getting a “please clean front parking sensors” message, despite the sensors being scrupulously clean. One, however, does have a very small scratch - possibly a stone chip. Could this be the reason? Anyone else had the problem?
Obviously this is a different issue to the one the OP was having, but I'd say that a scratch / stone chip on one of the sensors could well be the issue. I've only seen this message once before, when driving in snow which had managed to coat the parking sensors. Your sensor could be giving erratic readings as a result of the damage.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Hannaha859

Post by Hannaha859 »

Hi, I had this diagnosed by VW and yes, it's the stone chip. I had one last year and it cost me £270 at the main dealer to replace. I'm in my second year of ownership and it has another chip with the same message!

Clearly there is an issue here with the build quality of these sensors, I'm not paying another £270 every year to have them replaced. Time to march down to the dealer I think and have a good old moan.
Joule58kW

Post by Joule58kW »

Try this trick with VW. Ask them for the failed component back as you want to sell it on ebay. I have had them reduce the price by over £100 instantly.
Life Pro Performance 58kW Makena Turquoise.
Stargazer

Post by Stargazer »

Hannaha859 - thanks for the info and the heads up about the cost of replacing the sensor. At that price I’ll just put up with it; it’s not exactly essential. Oddly enough, it does occasionally work ok. Weird!
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

I had exactly the same error message which - strangely - appeared on the way home from the dealer after the 2.4/battery update. Hmmmm. Short version of story, back to dealer, they eventually decided a sensor was damaged ('stone chip') but replaced it FoC
id3 Max 2021
RSkinn

Post by RSkinn »

I have been getting a Front Sensor error messsge generally at night when it’s cold. It goes eventually or if I switch on (S) and off a few times! Not sure about comments on sensor scratched as I thought it was behind a panel under in the centre by number plate.
TimF

Post by TimF »

When it's cold, I'm going to use the car and it is frosted, I clear the windows - and sometimes need to have max de-mist operational inside too. Often, about a minute after setting off, I get the orange warning that Front Assist won't operate properly. This lasts a couple of minutes, then goes away. If it was simply dirt/ice obscuring a sensor, surely the warning would come up as soon as drive was enabled?

I don't remember this happening in winter 2021/2, when the car was still on 2.3.
ekto

Post by ekto »

TimF wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:17 am When it's cold, I'm going to use the car and it is frosted, I clear the windows - and sometimes need to have max de-mist operational inside too. Often, about a minute after setting off, I get the orange warning that Front Assist won't operate properly. This lasts a couple of minutes, then goes away. If it was simply dirt/ice obscuring a sensor, surely the warning would come up as soon as drive was enabled?

I don't remember this happening in winter 2021/2, when the car was still on 2.3.
This is what’s happening. You pre-warm the car and the frost melts. The camera is in an enclosed space on the windshield, so the glass above the camera is below zero. You clean the windshield and enter the car. When you start driving and use wipers, they will push water over the cold glass above the camera and it freezes. After a minute or so you get all sorts of warnings. And eventually it will melt and the warnings go off.

What you need to do is after the first wipe, exit the car, clear the sensor again. Now it will not give errors.
TimF

Post by TimF »

ekto wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:14 pm
TimF wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:17 am When it's cold, I'm going to use the car and it is frosted, I clear the windows - and sometimes need to have max de-mist operational inside too. Often, about a minute after setting off, I get the orange warning that Front Assist won't operate properly. This lasts a couple of minutes, then goes away. If it was simply dirt/ice obscuring a sensor, surely the warning would come up as soon as drive was enabled?

This is what’s happening. You pre-warm the car and the frost melts. The camera is in an enclosed space on the windshield, so the glass above the camera is below zero. You clean the windshield and enter the car. When you start driving and use wipers, they will push water over the cold glass above the camera and it freezes. After a minute or so you get all sorts of warnings. And eventually it will melt and the warnings go off.

What you need to do is after the first wipe, exit the car, clear the sensor again. Now it will not give errors.
That makes sense. Thanks.