Ohme charger problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:39 am Is everyone having bother with the new Ohme "Home Pro" model rather than the older larger unit?

Ohme issues were almost unheard of until very recently. I'm surmised that it might be the newer "Home Pro" model that's iffy. My older model has been pretty much faultless until I added API.(and then swiftly removed it). Mine charges at 32A/7.4kW exclusively within the cheap Octopus GO cheap overnight window, every time.
Mine is the Home Pro, yes.
You can set a charge from the charger screen with this model. My understanding is that wasn't possible with the older ones? If I'm right then integrating the Home Pro with the app must have taken some development work to avoid conflicts between the charger and the app. I'm no software engineer but I can see this might have potential to cause problems.
It is also slightly more complex to install I think because of the CT clamp. My installer definitely got this wrong originally, although he did admit it was the first one of this model he had done at the time - he came back later and fixed it
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.

ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:44 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:39 am Is everyone having bother with the new Ohme "Home Pro" model rather than the older larger unit?

Ohme issues were almost unheard of until very recently. I'm surmised that it might be the newer "Home Pro" model that's iffy. My older model has been pretty much faultless until I added API.(and then swiftly removed it). Mine charges at 32A/7.4kW exclusively within the cheap Octopus GO cheap overnight window, every time.
Mine is the Home Pro, yes.
You can set a charge from the charger screen with this model. My understanding is that wasn't possible with the older ones? If I'm right then integrating the Home Pro with the app must have taken some development work to avoid conflicts between the charger and the app. I'm no software engineer but I can see this might have potential to cause problems.
It is also slightly more complex to install I think because of the CT clamp. My installer definitely got this wrong originally, although he did admit it was the first one of this model he had done at the time - he came back later and fixed it
I really wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a bug in the software when it isn’t fitted even if load balancing is off. One way or the other I suppose I’m going to find out as I don’t have the clamp fitted.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

For what it's worth, my Ohme go is now consistently charging correctly overnight, using the API, limiting to the 12.30 to 4.30am window using the >5p price cap setting.

The charge rate does vary a lot during the charge, I've seen it drop down to 1kw and even tail off completely before restarting. But I've always ended up with the correct 80% charge in the end.

As others have noted, if you set both the ohme and the car to 80% SoC, the ohme app will throw an error claiming that charging has been stopped unexpectedly. I hadn't considered that the ohme might be seeing the SoC with a slight delay, but that does make sense. It looked to me like the ohme was reporting a slightly higher SoC than the car, so I just knocked the target back to 78% in the ohme charging schedule, which means I don't get the error any more.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
ItshardtobuyId3

I spent ages testing mine yesterday and after it got to 4 hours plugged in and worked after switching to max charge I decided it was time to test a scheduled charge and the bloody thing worked properly for the first time! The only difference was I’d rebooted it and despite my attempt at scheduling it so it didn’t start charging immediately it did but at a 2kW. When it was due to ramp up to 7kW it did though when it would normally get stuck at 4kW.

Car is too full to do anymore testing now but will try next time with the settings that worked but with the target time at 04:30 and the charge level near the max for 4 hours (35%) with the 7.5p restriction off.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:54 am I spent ages testing mine yesterday and after it got to 4 hours plugged in and worked after switching to max charge I decided it was time to test a scheduled charge and the bloody thing worked properly for the first time! The only difference was I’d rebooted it and despite my attempt at scheduling it so it didn’t start charging immediately it did but at a 2kW. When it was due to ramp up to 7kW it did though when it would normally get stuck at 4kW.

Car is too full to do anymore testing now but will try next time with the settings that worked but with the target time at 04:30 and the charge level near the max for 4 hours (35%) with the 7.5p restriction off.
That is good news that it behaved itself and you got a successful charge. Lets hope its a start of many more.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
ItshardtobuyId3

Newfie wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:38 am
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:54 am I spent ages testing mine yesterday and after it got to 4 hours plugged in and worked after switching to max charge I decided it was time to test a scheduled charge and the bloody thing worked properly for the first time! The only difference was I’d rebooted it and despite my attempt at scheduling it so it didn’t start charging immediately it did but at a 2kW. When it was due to ramp up to 7kW it did though when it would normally get stuck at 4kW.

That is good news that it behaved itself and you got a successful charge. Lets hope its a start of many more.
Thanks, fingers crossed it was just a glitch that the reboot fixed or Ohme stealth fixed it lol
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
ItshardtobuyId3

A little update for future reference in case someone else gets the problem I was….

My charger seems to be working now. I think it was the reboot that fixed it. My second charge in a row was successful.

I’m not using the API, have optimise for battery life, prefer green and save me money all switched on but have the price restriction turned off. It’s scheduled to add 37% by 04:30 which is enough to get it from 20% to 80% over two sessions with a commute to work in the middle. It doesn’t charge outside of the cheap 00:30 to 04:30 period either.

I expect it would work with the API now but I don’t dare mess with it as it’s doing what I need now.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]