Intermittent charging fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

As some of the regulars here will already know, I’ve been having problems with my car charging overnight on my Ohme where it sometimes only charges at 3.7 kWh.

I was pretty convinced it was a problem with the charger because I could pause and resume an affected charge and it would jump straight to 7.4 kWh. Also if I plugged in and used the ‘Max Charge’ function and it was always 7.4 kWh.

Yesterday I went to Tesco and decided to take advantage of the free charging (controversial I know :lol: ). Anyway, when I started the charge it was at around 7 kWh as the car said 26 mph, but when I got back it was at 16 mph. The battery was only at 48% on my return and it was a warm day. It is possible that the charger wasn’t supplying enough charge but my car was the only one connected so it seems unlikely.

It is looking more and more like my car has an intermittent fault with AC charging (as in it’s not the chargers to blame). I’ve been having more luck with my home charger lately but it happened again on my last home charge. I thought it was worth creating a new thread as I know a few other people have had similar issues.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L

robgarth

Post by robgarth »

The other day I charged at Tesco and got only 2KW, I checked it on my home Ohme charger and got the same. After a little time I found I had inadvertently selected "reduced AC charging" on the charging screen, deselected it and all ok. Your wattage isn't as low so may not be the same issue but worth checking if you haven't already.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

Forgot to say in my last post that I think I'd caught the 'select Reduced AC charge' when stopping the previous charge from within the car, the two selectors are close together.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

robgarth wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:29 pm Forgot to say in my last post that I think I'd caught the 'select Reduced AC charge' when stopping the previous charge from within the car, the two selectors are close together.
I’ve never selected that setting and it isn’t turned on, thanks for the suggestion though.

It’s bound to come up but I don’t have scheduled charging set in the car either.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L