Don’t buy an Ohme Charger

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Rant alert!

Don’t buy an Ohme charger if you have or are buying an ID.3.

I’m a bit annoyed right now and perhaps shouldn’t be posting until I’ve had time to reflect but…. save yourself from their useless customer service. Buy a pod point or a dumb charger with a timer, anything else but DON’T by an Ohme.

I’m in the unfortunate group of ID.3 owners that is having issues where my car only charges at 3.7kWh, for no obvious reason, intermittently. I gave them loads of useful information about this and on the 18th of March they created a proper support ticket about it. From then on I’d heard nothing, until today when they send me an email saying that they could see my last charge successful so they were closing the ticket. The one before it wasn’t, it’s an intermittent fault!!

I’ve given up! I’ve found using it without the API and setting it so it is adds 39% in the Octopus GO period is pretty reliable ; 39% is actually 45% with the Pro 58kWh but Ohme are using the full battery capacity not the useable one so it’s always 6% out (they can’t get that right). All the fancy smart functions are rendered pretty much useless by the fact the SoC predictions are wrong and it wangs the charge rates around so much the car stops accepting them.

Also, if you are in a newer postcode then the Ohme app won’t find your tariff. They will say it’s the current energy supplier database that’s out of date but that’s rubbish. They don’t have the latest postcodes, I’ve been here 6 years and it’s only Ohme that can’t find it (I’ve switched energy supplier more than once since my house was built).

Steer clear ☹️
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L

davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

I've had a polar opposite experience tbh, and especially since the latest app/service update.

Originally obtained the Ohme smart charger cable (set at 32A with a commando plug) last October.

Electrician not ready to install the 40A breaker/dedicated cable to an isolating 32A commando socket, so contacted Ohme and requested they set the charger to 10A so I could use a 13A socket (with adaptors) in the meantime. Ohme responded almost immediately and confirmed the change from 32A to 10A was applied. Since then, the Ohme has been set to 10A and works as an intelligent granny charger. Given my usage of the car, this 10A (2.5-3kWh) set-up with Octopus Go (00:30-4:30) has worked really well, so I'm not planning on having a 40A feed (7kWh) installed at all at this point. Plus, I can throw the Ohme in the boot and take it wherever to charge - 3-pin plug or 16A commando or 32A commando - physically I can connect to almost everything but will only draw 10A thanks to the Ohme. It just works.

But for higher mileage use, the 10A (2.5-3kWh) may not be the best.
71 / 2021 ID.3 Life Pro Performance, Glacier White, Andoya Wheels
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

davidwalton wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:33 pm I've had a polar opposite experience tbh, and especially since the latest app/service update.

Originally obtained the Ohme smart charger cable (set at 32A with a commando plug) last October.

Electrician not ready to install the 40A breaker/dedicated cable to an isolating 32A commando socket, so contacted Ohme and requested they set the charger to 10A so I could use a 13A socket (with adaptors) in the meantime. Ohme responded almost immediately and confirmed the change from 32A to 10A was applied. Since then, the Ohme has been set to 10A and works as an intelligent granny charger. Given my usage of the car, this 10A (2.5-3kWh) set-up with Octopus Go (00:30-4:30) has worked really well, so I'm not planning on having a 40A feed (7kWh) installed at all at this point. Plus, I can throw the Ohme in the boot and take it wherever to charge - 3-pin plug or 16A commando or 32A commando - physically I can connect to almost everything but will only draw 10A thanks to the Ohme. It just works.

But for higher mileage use, the 10A (2.5-3kWh) may not be the best.
I have to agree about the OHME - i have a wall box and it’s been totally reliable - my sister had a rolec and and many occasions the car has just not charged at all as it’s ‘dropped’ off the network and defaults to no charge where at least the OHME will charge - i’ve experienced the random charge level when i’ve linked the OHME and we connect apps so i just de linked them - set it at don’t charge over 5p and it charges - i know i’m massively over simplifying it but it does and has charged the car every time without fail.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

My Ohme charger has been faultless for a year's worth of charging on 2 x ID3s, using Octopus GO, always at the full 32A.

There's only 2 times it's let me down, both my fault or the car's fault (don't use API if you have 2 EVs, it'll be looking for the 1 specific EV the API is set to, and if the other EV is plugged in, it won't charge).

Mine is the original Ohme,, not the new one.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I've had similar unreliable experience as the OP with an Ohme Home Pro. I had some initial problems but managed to find a specific set of settings that worked reliably until they updated the app to allow API integration (note, I have never connected ot to my car's API.) Since that update it only works correctly maybe half or two thirds of the charges I do. Other times, it charges at a slow rate (4kw) and therefore runs over into the expensive period for a couple of hours (exactly how long depends on the charge level I've set) before completion.

I'm pretty sure the problem occurs when the Ohme does something with the schedule that the car detects as a fault and then limits the current. I feel like there must be some rhyme and reason to what it is but I haven't managed to work it out.
I wish I'd bought a different charger now but it's not the end of the world.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
ItshardtobuyId3

It does seem from other posts on the forum that’s it’s the Home Pro that others are having trouble with.

It might well turn out there is some fault with the car and it’s not the charger, but over a month to respond to a support ticket and then to just close it because the last charge worked is bloody poor service.

It’s taken me ages to get it setup so it mostly charges okay but the API is useless. Just wish I’d bought something else.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

I'm still having issues with my Ohme Pro.
It charges so erratically. Its charge rate is up and down like a yoyo and I believe when it sticks at 3.7 kW that the car saying its had enough and is protecting itself.
I have 2 of these Ohme Pro's (one for my wifes impending EV) and they are both the same in the way they charge.
I have even noticed when I've needed more than what the 4 hour window of Octopus Go it is not a constant 7.4 kW charge so you are missing out on the cheaper rate.
I've spoken to Ohme about all this but like the OP they go all quiet and you here nothing back.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

To be fair Ohme's customer service was very responsive when I first approached them, about a different problem when the charger was first installed. They were very helpful. I suspect the difference here is that they haven't got a clue what's going on.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
ItshardtobuyId3

sidehaas wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:58 am I've had similar unreliable experience as the OP with an Ohme Home Pro. I had some initial problems but managed to find a specific set of settings that worked reliably until they updated the app to allow API integration (note, I have never connected ot to my car's API.) Since that update it only works correctly maybe half or two thirds of the charges I do. Other times, it charges at a slow rate (4kw) and therefore runs over into the expensive period for a couple of hours (exactly how long depends on the charge level I've set) before completion.

I'm pretty sure the problem occurs when the Ohme does something with the schedule that the car detects as a fault and then limits the current. I feel like there must be some rhyme and reason to what it is but I haven't managed to work it out.
I wish I'd bought a different charger now but it's not the end of the world.
Same as you I think it’s something in the scheduling it doesn’t like but oddly mine fails more often if it thinks can’t add the requested charge so I’ve arrived at a charge level that is a bit less than can be added in the 4 hour window.

The really annoying thing is they can botch a fix for it. Every single time I’ve caught it going at 4 kWh if I pause and resume the charge with the app it goes to 7kwh. All they they need to do is instead of send a notification if the car isn’t accepting the charge is automatically attempt to pause and resume the charge. But that would involve them actually providing some technical support ☹️
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

The other night I just wanted to charge from 65% to 80%, as I have the Tour we are talking somewhere in the region of 11.5 kWh. So it was simple to charge that amount in the 4 hour window you would think. No the Ohme only managed 7.3 kWh in that time and this is how it delivered this.

kW Start End
0.114 00:00 00:30
1.041 00:30 01:00
0.116 01:00 01:30
0.087 01:30 02:00
0.108 02:00 02:30
0.673 02:30 03:00
2.000 03:00 03:30
2.003 03:30 04:00
1.992 04:00 04:30
0.101 04:30 05:00
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Where do you extract that data?
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

sidehaas wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:02 am Where do you extract that data?
Its not from the Ohme. Its from Octopus. So its the total energy my house is consuming within those times and on average at those times the house is consuming around 0.1 kW per half hour.
ItshardtobuyId3

Newfie wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:00 am The other night I just wanted to charge from 65% to 80%, as I have the Tour we are talking somewhere in the region of 11.5 kWh. So it was simple to charge that amount in the 4 hour window you would think. No the Ohme only managed 7.3 kWh in that time and this is how it delivered this.

kW Start End
0.114 00:00 00:30
1.041 00:30 01:00
0.116 01:00 01:30
0.087 01:30 02:00
0.108 02:00 02:30
0.673 02:30 03:00
2.000 03:00 03:30
2.003 03:30 04:00
1.992 04:00 04:30
0.101 04:30 05:00
That’s bonkers, it probably is the car thinking there is a fault so restricting the charge.

Mine charged fine again last night but using my tried and tested semi reliable settings.

If you want to try them they are:

No API

Favour Green, optimise for battery life and save money all ON.

Limit charging over a certain cost ON (in my case 7.5p)

The schedule is to Add 39% by 4:30am but that’s on my 58 kWh battery and it actually adds 45%. With a tour’s 77kwh you’d need to set that at 34% (I think or just tell the app you have a 58kWh version lol).
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
daern

Post by daern »

This is interesting. I have an Ohme Pro sat by my desk waiting to be installed next week. We'll (probably) be getting a Cupra Born, so I guess that most of the info here is relevant.

One question for people - mine has support for a "load balancing" sensor, which can monitor the overall house consumption to ensure that the overall input isn't overloaded if other, high-load appliances are also running. Could this be the cause? Also, the documentation mentions that the charger can reduce its charging rate when the local network is under load. It's a bit vague about what triggers this, but could this have some bearing on people's issues here and also explain why some have no issues, and others are having problems?
Cupra Born V2 - Vapor Grey
Lease order placed in Jan '22
Dealer order placed in March '22
Build date confirmed, delivery due late-July '22
ID.3 Family Pro - ordered Jan, optimistically due end of '22. Cancelled in Feb
ItshardtobuyId3

daern wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:51 am This is interesting. I have an Ohme Pro sat by my desk waiting to be installed next week. We'll (probably) be getting a Cupra Born, so I guess that most of the info here is relevant.

One question for people - mine has support for a "load balancing" sensor, which can monitor the overall house consumption to ensure that the overall input isn't overloaded if other, high-load appliances are also running. Could this be the cause? Also, the documentation mentions that the charger can reduce its charging rate when the local network is under load. It's a bit vague about what triggers this, but could this have some bearing on people's issues here and also explain why some have no issues, and others are having problems?
Mine was installed without the CT clamp that enables that feature. When I first used it the rate never went over 4 kWh and I messaged Ohme support and they got straight back to me (my one and only good support experience with them) and explained how disable load balancing which the installer had enabled despite not fitting it. That fixed it to the point it wasn’t always restricted to 4 kWh.

At least one other person with the same problem as me on here doesn’t have the CT clamp fitted. Ohme do state it is optional and not always required. I did make them aware of the fact there are other people I know of with the intermittent charging issue that don’t have a CT clamp in case it is a bug with that. I don’t think it is though as if I hit max charge now on the app or the charger screen it always goes to 7.4kW, every time without fail. It seems to be something in the way it is scheduling the charge that the car doesn’t like.

You actually get sent a notification on your phone from the Ohme app saying the charge isn’t at the expected rate and to check the car (as in the car is restricting it). But normally you’re asleep at the time lol
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

daern wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:51 am This is interesting. I have an Ohme Pro sat by my desk waiting to be installed next week. We'll (probably) be getting a Cupra Born, so I guess that most of the info here is relevant.

I have a CT clamp with mine. Initially it wasn't installed correctly and the charger limited everything to 4kw full stop. Ohme were very good about diagnosing what caused that and the installer came back to fix it straight away when I asked. It then worked properly for a while with a certain set of settings. However since the app upgrade to allow API integration it has been intermittent; I'm pretty sure this is a purely software problem.
ItshardtobuyId3

Ohme emailed me to apologise for closing the support ticket without checking with me first and have reopened it.

It being escalated up so there is hope after all. I feel a bit bad about this thread and the snotty response I gave to the email yesterday but I was really very unimpressed!

Fingers crossed fellow intermittent Home Pro 4 kWh charging crew!
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:53 am Ohme emailed me to apologise for closing the support ticket without checking with me first and have reopened it.

It being escalated up so there is hope after all. I feel a bit bad about this thread and the snotty response I gave to the email yesterday but I was really very unimpressed!

Fingers crossed fellow intermittent Home Pro 4 kWh charging crew!

Don't worry about it - and it was good of you to come back and say you're at least getting some service from them! Glad they've reopened communications and are escalating.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
TimF

Post by TimF »

My Ohme Home Pro (installed by third-party, which seems to be standard, as Ohme don't have an installation workforce?) appears to be a reasonable piece of kit. Ohme's support is not. Communication can be slow and/or poor, there's no feedback on fixing problems/annoyances, the customer service people don't always know what their own kit/apps look like or operate. At least now they updated the charger so that its green lights weren't glaring away all night. The Android app took a while to be integrated with my VW account, even after the integration was said to be operational, but it's still not working completely smoothly (last charge to 80% claimed the car had halted charging prematurely - it hadn't). Minor point on the app for Octopus customers: it uses Octopus' current charges (as offered to new customers or those changing tariffs) to produce "cost" figures. For those on fixed-term contracts those may be different, even very different. I've certainly not had any problems of the charger failing to deliver full rate.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

TimF wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:24 am My Ohme Home Pro (installed by third-party, which seems to be standard, as Ohme don't have an installation workforce?) appears to be a reasonable piece of kit. Ohme's support is not. Communication can be slow and/or poor, there's no feedback on fixing problems/annoyances, the customer service people don't always know what their own kit/apps look like or operate. At least now they updated the charger so that its green lights weren't glaring away all night. The Android app took a while to be integrated with my VW account, even after the integration was said to be operational, but it's still not working completely smoothly (last charge to 80% claimed the car had halted charging prematurely - it hadn't). Minor point on the app for Octopus customers: it uses Octopus' current charges (as offered to new customers or those changing tariffs) to produce "cost" figures. For those on fixed-term contracts those may be different, even very different. I've certainly not had any problems of the charger failing to deliver full rate.
You can select your exact tariff in the app, surely? I definitely did that. Or do you mean that if you sign up now, only new tariffs are available to select? There used to be lots of them.