Software 2.4 rollout delayed

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

I have just heard from my dealer this morning that the roll out for the 2.4 software update has been delayed with no further indication of how long the delay will be.
Typical VW at the end of the day

The official notice;

97FS timings: ID. Software 2.4 and 3.0 campaign
VW0509-2227 APR 2022
Update: ID. Software 2.4, which forms part of campaign 97FS, has had its rollout delayed.

The central software teams are currently testing the software and are not yet satisfied with the reliability. Therefore the software will not be available from 11 May as previously advised. We apologise for this inconvenience.

Customer communications
Central customer communications and the EV service plan offer will be launched to coincide with the revised launch timings. You should not plan any customer bookings at this point.

For full details on the campaign, including how to prepare for it, click this link to watch the video explaining the process.

Further communication will follow once software availability has been confirmed centrally, so bookmark this article to stay up-to-date. We thank you for your patience so far.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus

DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

I know people get excited about software updates, I'm the same, but I would rather wait and have a reliable update than have issues.
A software problem with a car would be a lot worse than a buggy mobile phone or PC misbehaving, let them get it right so we do not have a two ton paper weight sitting on the drive.
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

So if the update is not reliable, why did VW Germany release an updated car to Youtuber "Battery Life" ? They must have known he would make the results known on his Youtube channel. From what I remember of his testing, the update was mostly underwhelming.
Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

Scratch wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:38 am So if the update is not reliable, why did VW Germany release an updated car to Youtuber "Battery Life" ? They must have known he would make the results known on his Youtube channel. From what I remember of his testing, the update was mostly underwhelming.
I don't think 2.4 has been released to any one publicly, he had 3.0 ID.3 and was told that 2.4 would be required for older cars to get to 3.0, and even then 3.0 is already old as 3.1 exists.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Scratch wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:38 am So if the update is not reliable, why did VW Germany release an updated car to Youtuber "Battery Life" ? They must have known he would make the results known on his Youtube channel. From what I remember of his testing, the update was mostly underwhelming.
When Chris from Battery Life was doing his live stream on Sunday 24th he said he knew something about the software update and he was not happy about it but as usual VW had sworn him to secrecy so this must have been it.
Sanya

Post by Sanya »

Chris was likely a beta tester, he just didn't know it.

It is sensible to delay any update if there are known problems.
Family Pro Performance | Glacier White | Sanya 20” alloys | Delivered March 2022
3rd time EV owner | BMWi Pure wall box.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Sanya wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:54 pm Chris was likely a beta tester, he just didn't know it.

It is sensible to delay any update if there are known problems.
Totally agree with both your points. I just hope it doesn't end up being a "unicorn" update. The ID3 has been on the market for long enough to catch up with their software development. They released the car too early and they know it. Now is the time to make good to all the early adopters who put their trust in VW. Especially as the VW reputation for honesty was shot after dieselgate.
Hypercube

Post by Hypercube »

I understood this recall was also due to replace the 12v battery and associated systems on earlier cars as well as the update to 2.4.

After six months of waiting, my car still hasn’t updated to 2.3 over the air or as was promised by the dealer when replacing the SOS module. I was hoping to go straight to 2.4 instead.

Disappointing performance by VW all round.
Last edited by Hypercube on Tue May 03, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Like hypercube, our car is still awaiting the v2.3 update: the first part appears to have completed some time ago, but not the 2nd. The 'We Connect Support' team have been utterly hopeless of course, giving us a whole load of totally spurious and scientifically-implausible excuses for why the update hasn't yet happened (and yes, the car gets a decent 4G signal where it's parked and on any journeys we've done recently).

But.... the one useful thing they did say (if I believe them) is that when the dealer does eventually carry out the v2.4 update, this will include updating from v2.1 if required.
id3 Max 2021
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’m stuck on part one of 2.3 update too.
TimF

Post by TimF »

I've always been update-averse, generally waiting for SP1 for various editions of Windoze to make the change.

No matter how much testing is done by the development team, even beta testing with helpful consumers won't uncover all the possibilities for interactions and combinations / sequences of inputs.

Even so, I'd have expected 2.4 to be a modest development of 2.3 rather than the significant changes, including to fundamental aspects, which 3.0 is likely to require, so I'm surprised the rollout has been subject to so many delays. I wonder if someone decided to bring some of those 3.0 basic revisions forward into 2.4 (because they could?), and that this has created problems either with those modules, or because the new elements were developed without the intention of integration into older code, so the modest revisions intended for 2.4 became more complicated.
steve

Post by steve »

Previous software updates were fixing the fundamentals but since 2.3 the id3 has worked pretty well. So while I read and analysed every rumour about 2.3, I am content to wait patiently for 2.4. Better for it to be right than half-baked.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I've said it before, I don't expect to see 2.4 or certainly 3.x on my car. VW already made the announcement that it would depend on the hardware, for some reason lots of people thought that meant VW would replace all our old ECUs?? Eventually VW will announce that early cars are not suitable and therefore won't be upgraded. If I am wrong then everyone wins, but I see a lot of 2020/21 cars staying as they are and with that taking a huge hit on resale.
Tsneal

Post by Tsneal »

As I understand (confirmed by Dealer), 2.4 has to be installed by the Dealer and won't be rolled out over the air? I guess this is to ensure the 12V battery and/or controller are to the correct standard before the software is installed. I have to agree that I would rather have a delay for a stable software release than a quickly released upgrade that needs a bug fix!

However, the news on this page was news to the Dealers.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Family Pro Performance: Sanya Wheels: Makena Turquoise metallic - Came with Software 2.3
Zappi Charger with Solar edge 5.5kW PV Array.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Tsneal wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:11 pm As I understand (confirmed by Dealer), 2.4 has to be installed by the Dealer and won't be rolled out over the air? I guess this is to ensure the 12V battery and/or controller are to the correct standard before the software is installed. I have to agree that I would rather have a delay for a stable software release than a quickly released upgrade that needs a bug fix!

However, the news on this page was news to the Dealers.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Family Pro Performance: Sanya Wheels: Makena Turquoise metallic - Came with Software 2.3
Zappi Charger with Solar edge 5.5kW PV Array.
Quickly released bug fix? Rumours of 2.4 started in November it's nearly 6 months, some comapnies launch a new product in that time let alone a bug fix.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

I don't understand what the problem is as the cars built from wk 51 2022 that are appearing now have 3.0 installed.
So what's the problem?
This is more to do with VW being very cautious after dieselgate.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Newfie wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:01 am I don't understand what the problem is as the cars built from wk 51 2022 that are appearing now have 3.0 installed.
So what's the problem?
Hardware limitation probably?
Or, as it has been mooted that the 12V battery may need replacing, they don't have enough of them and are prioritising new builds for them.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

For 3.0 cars delivered with sw earlier than 2.3 need a new ‘module’ fitting. All need the new battery to stop the car running flat during the OTA update from 2.4 to 3.0.

Quite why they couldn’t make them all 3.0 when they do the 2.4 update I don’t know….

Anyhow - whilst delayed it sounds like it’s actually going ahead….
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Newfie wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:01 am I don't understand what the problem is as the cars built from wk 51 2022 that are appearing now have 3.0 installed.
So what's the problem?

Cariad will have branched 2.4 before 3.0, and then 2.4 has basically failed its QA. This doesn't invalidate 3.0's QA, nor its application into factory vehicles. I expect 3.0 cars won't need a battery swap, nor module swaps, so those 51+ vehicles are on the latest and greatest, and supposedly ready for the next 3.x OTA patch.

However for the fleet prior to factory 3.0, the route to 3.0 OTA is via 2.4x and a dealer visit for battery and ECU replacements. That's delayed due to 2.4 failing its QA. 2.4x will have some fixes applied to it specifically to get it through QA, but those fixes won't be part of 3.0.

At some point 3.1 will branch from trunk, but sensibly speaking that is now also delayed as they should really fix 2.4x and backport into trunk as necessary to get the whole fleet on a 3.1 branch and OTA'ing together from a consistent hardware/firmware/software base. This again knocks out testing and deployment timescales; I think owners will be lucky to see a 3.1 across the fleet before the end of the year, and quarterly releases are just a pipe dream.

This is all professional conjecture, but I've been doing this stuff all day long for decades, professionally speaking, so I reckon I'm more or less on the money here.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

It was reported some time ago that cars built in the latter part of 2021 (July onwards) will not need the new battery as they have been fitted in the factory and in speaking to my dealer today batteries is not the issue of any form of delay as they have plenty in stock.