v3.0 software and S-PIN

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Stig2011

Post by Stig2011 »

One of the new (I believe) features in v3.0 is the ability to create more than one user profile in the infotainment system that can be selected when the driver first gets in the car. Profiles can be locked such that you need to input a 4 digit PIN to enable and use them. VW call the PIN an S-PIN. While I believe this is common on other VW models this is a new thing for the id3 and my experience to date is that it has some teething issues.

Firstly, using the App I was able to create a 'primary' profile for the car OK and all seemed to be going well, until I came back to the car, selected my profile from the welcome screen and was asked to enter an S-PIN. Well this was a bit of a problem as I hadn't been asked to create an S-PIN so had no idea what it was. I tried some obvious default values like 0000 and 1111 but none worked. Eventually I found on the desktop application that there was an option to reset the S-PIN. This I did, but still didn't work. As I'd tried to input the pin a few times by this time I had been locked out of trying again for next 24 hours. Following evening, I tried again and it worked! There is then a setting that prevents the need to enter the S-PIN again whcih I duly ticked. All seemed to be way over the top, but as you might expect think its VW taking their GDPR responsibilties very seriously to the point that it causes cutsomers pain.

Now, I may have missed something when I was setting up the App, but it wasn't obvious to me where I should have created an S-PIN. I suspect for existing VW drivers who use an S-PIN I assume they will already have one. For those that don't and will use a v3.0 car for the first time, I would just advise to try and create an S-PIN through the desktop app before creating their profile, unless others able to advise what I've missed

A couple of other points:

-car could still be driven using guest account, so not a big issue, just annoying that couldn't set up car initally
- while logged out of the car I couldn't use the phone app as it said I was logged out. Fair enough, but not sure how that will work with two user profiles, hopefully they can be both logged in at the same time, else only the driver who last used the car will be able to use their App which is going to be somewhat limiting! If I'm brave enough I will try and set up a profile for the wife this weekend and see whether it lets both of us access the car via the app at the same time.

I do now have a residual problem in that I get a stream of notifictaions while driving to say I need to log back into the App as I had been logged out for some time. I can follow the instructions given from the notification and sucessfully log into the App, but yes, you guessed it - the process hangs in the car and it doesn't stop the notifications. Again a minor inconvieience, but still not very slick

I have raised the last issue with VWs App support team and they havn't disappointed in living up to their stellar reputation (I'm being ironic in case not obvious). I've sent them detailed description of issue and lots of pictures, they've failed to read my email and sent me back instructions on how to re log into my account which seems to have no relevance to the issue raised. I thought I would give them beneft of the doubt and follow their instructions, but they don't relate to the id3 menus - I suspect they have sent me generic instructions for their other vehicles. I will probably try again, but I don't hold much hope. Another minor example of VW being determined to undermine the otherwsie very poistive user epxerience of driving the car!
Life Pro Performance/Assistance Pack/Scale Silver/ East Derry Wheels

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Thanks for explaining this - please continue to let us know what problems we are all going to have! :)
I'm especially interested in how you get on with your wife's profile, if you can both log in simultaneously on the app and whether one of you has reduced options due to not being the primary user. This could be a significant issue for us as the ID3 is very much a 'joint' car. I think if two profiles didn't work in tandem with equal rights we'd just have to maintain a single profile for both of us and forgo the advantages of different profiles actually in the car.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Stig2011 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:05 am One of the new (I believe) features in v3.0 is the ability to create more than one user profile in the infotainment system

Really interesting. Are the profiles linkable to different keys, or are they just soft profiles that you have to manually select in the vehicle ?
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Utumno wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:19 pm
Stig2011 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:05 am One of the new (I believe) features in v3.0 is the ability to create more than one user profile in the infotainment system

Really interesting. Are the profiles linkable to different keys, or are they just soft profiles that you have to manually select in the vehicle ?
Curious about this as well and if (quite delusional of me) the profiles might be linked to seat position as well.
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

rikimaru wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:29 pm

Curious about this as well and if (quite delusional of me) the profiles might be linked to seat position as well.
Unfortunately you need memory seats for this. The normal electric seats currently in the Max and Tour will not set up with a profile.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Newfie wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:35 pm

Unfortunately you need memory seats for this. The normal electric seats currently in the Max and Tour will not set up with a profile.

That's odd? I was looking into this and in Battery Life's video about v3.0 he changes the profile and the seat does change. Which model is he sat in if it's not a Max or Tour?

EDIT: Looks like the car he's testing is an MY22.5.
Stig2011

Post by Stig2011 »

Profiles are selected from a list on the welcome screen, I don't believe that they can be linked to a particular key - maybe one for v4.0

The profiles can definitely change the driver's seat position as there are various warnings about the seat moving when a profile is changed. I assume you need memory seats, but that's a long way above the spec of my Life version of the car!

There is nothing in the online handbook about user profiles (other those related to different mobile phones paired to the car), but I will test out by setting up an account for the wife when she is back from a weekend away, or more accurately when her is phone is back.

As an aside, another grumble is the vehicle manual. I had gathered there was no printed version (just a pamphlet that tells you useful stuff like how to wear a seatbelt), but had thought I would be able to look at the manual online from a desktop in the house. No, the only way to read the manual is to sit in the car and scroll through pages of warnings to find some hoped for nugget of useful information. Also, given its presented as a tree structure i.e. a series of headings that you have click down through, why does it contain info for functions my car doesn't have (like Travel Assist - not that I'm bitter!) as you'd think it wouldn’t be hard to only include sections relevant to my car. Neighbours probably think I've been in the doghouse at home over the last few days given number of hours they will have seen me sat in the car on the drive!
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

rikimaru wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:41 pm

That's odd? I was looking into this and in Battery Life's video about v3.0 he changes the profile and the seat does change. Which model is he sat in if it's not a Max or Tour?

[/quote]

The seats in the car in the video are memory seats but as yet to my knowledge there has not been a trim level that includes memory seats. I would imagine it will be an added feature at some stage.
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Stig2011 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:25 pm
Profiles are selected from a list on the welcome screen, I don't believe that they can be linked to a particular key - maybe one for v4.0
Thanks, I guess we’ll see in 2-3 years XD
Newfie wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:52 pm
The seats in the car in the video are memory seats but as yet to my knowledge there has not been a trim level that includes memory seats. I would imagine it will be an added feature at some stage.
Hmm so I thought it’s the new trim but VW’s own communications doesn’t mention anything about memory seats. Just the fabric is noted which is odd given how useful this feature is!

I suppose the only way we’ll know for sure is once someone with the electric seats + 3.0 tests them.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Stig2011 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:25 pm

The profiles can definitely change the driver's seat position as there are various warnings about the seat moving when a profile is changed. I assume you need memory seats, but that's a long way above the spec of my Life version of the car!

There is nothing in the online handbook about user profiles (other those related to different mobile phones paired to the car), but I will test out by setting up an account for the wife when she is back from a weekend away, or more accurately when her is phone is back.

As an aside, another grumble is the vehicle manual. I had gathered there was no printed version (just a pamphlet that tells you useful stuff like how to wear a seatbelt), but had thought I would be able to look at the manual online from a desktop in the house. No, the only way to read the manual is to sit in the car and scroll through pages of warnings to find some hoped for nugget of useful information. Also, given its presented as a tree structure i.e. a series of headings that you have click down through, why does it contain info for functions my car doesn't have (like Travel Assist - not that I'm bitter!) as you'd think it wouldn’t be hard to only include sections relevant to my car. Neighbours probably think I've been in the doghouse at home over the last few days given number of hours they will have seen me sat in the car on the drive!
The manual for tablet or desktop etc is available at this link:
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... nuals.html
You just need to put in your reg or VIN number. I found my reg didn't work for a week to two after I got the car but the Vin worked straight away.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Profile plus memory seat will need a MY22.5 Tour or Max. MY22’s don’t have the memory hardware.

Touchscreen seat profiles are utterly pointless. I can’t even physically get into the car to operate the touchscreen after SWMBO has driven it so linking profile to key is the only tolerable approach.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Utumno wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:46 pm Profile plus memory seat will need a MY22.5 Tour or Max. MY22’s don’t have the memory hardware.

Touchscreen seat profiles are utterly pointless. I can’t even physically get into the car to operate the touchscreen after SWMBO has driven it so linking profile to key is the only tolerable approach.
If they are fitting memory seats in the newer versions of whatever trim I guess they will be the same as the ID.4 and they have buttons 1 & 2 on the side of the seat.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Newfie wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:57 pm
Utumno wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:46 pm Profile plus memory seat will need a MY22.5 Tour or Max. MY22’s don’t have the memory hardware.

If they are fitting memory seats in the newer versions of whatever trim I guess they will be the same as the ID.4 and they have buttons 1 & 2 on the side of the seat.

Which just means I get to stand outside the car getting drenched in the rain while the seat sorts its life out after I press the button, instead of pushing a button on a key fob while walking to the car and having the seat position ready for me :D

I know this is possibly the first world problem to beat all first world problems, but other manufacturers have been doing this for decades, and it's a pet peeve :lol:
Tesla Model Y Long Range

Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Utumno wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:31 pm

Which just means I get to stand outside the car getting drenched in the rain while the seat sorts its life out after I press the button, instead of pushing a button on a key fob while walking to the car and having the seat position ready for me :D

I know this is possibly the first world problem to beat all first world problems, but other manufacturers have been doing this for decades, and it's a pet peeve :lol:
Maybe you should take a look at a Skoda as they give you an Umbrella :D
Bengeo

Post by Bengeo »

Newfie wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:19 am Maybe you should take a look at a Skoda as they give you an Umbrella :D

Brilliant!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tour 77kWh Pro S in Glacier White

Stig2011

Post by Stig2011 »

sidehaas wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:07 pm

The manual for tablet or desktop etc is available at this link:
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... nuals.html
You just need to put in your reg or VIN number. I found my reg didn't work for a week to two after I got the car but the Vin worked straight away.

That’s great thanks. I had tried this with no success before the car was delivered and then forgotten about it! Thanks for the reminder as I wouldn’t have gone back to check.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Newfie wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:19 am
Utumno wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:31 pm

Maybe you should take a look at a Skoda as they give you an Umbrella :D
Is that cos the sunroof leaks?
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

You’re right. There’s another Battery Life video (the live on) nearly an hour long which shows the new memory buttons.

But…get this. It’s not coming to the UK, at least according to VW support.
Stig2011

Post by Stig2011 »

So I’ve had a go at adding a profile for the wife to the car. Chose to create an ID account on the desktop then downloaded app to her phone. This time there was a screen during the app login process that asked her to set up an S-PIN and then gave instructions to go to car to complete registration.

So far so good, but at this point car let me down in that you get to a screen with options of how to login that either just describe the login process or take you back to previous screen. So you get stuck in a loop. I’ve given up and just logged the wife’s phone into my account which will work fine for us. Luckily she doesn’t mind my name appearing as primary user when start car ( it’s her car) as changing primary user requires reset of infotainment system and don’t fancy risk of losing something that currently works

I wonder whether my issue of not having being asked for an S-PIN was because in my enthusiasm I added the car to my account a few days before it was delivered. My advice would be to only add car to the app once you’ve taken delivery.
Glasgowsheep

Post by Glasgowsheep »

Just had the update and come across the same problem. Do you have a link for the desktop site where I can reset my s-pin that I'm pretty sure I never set up