Charger won’t lock

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Chris

Post by Chris »

The pin doesn’t engage so the charge cable can be pulled out when on charge

steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

Are you sure the plug is going all the way into the socket? If there is any sort of obstruction the pin won't line up with the hole in the plug hence the charge is limited to 1KW to stop damage to the contacts if disconnected at 7 or 11 KW.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

Could it be losing comms, so that physically it is plugged in but a connection doesn't exist to tell the car that a charger is being plugged in (but enough comms to say 'hey, here's some incoming charge but we don't know what it is so we'll take it carefully...')? From what you've reported so far, I suspect the issue is on the car side (unfortunately) and likley to be a faulty locking mechanism. But the dealer reported all was OK and it did work for a while after the dealer visit, so something may be getting moved/pushed over time?

This is a strange one!
71 / 2021 ID.3 Life Pro Performance, Glacier White, Andoya Wheels
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I am no expert, but I think I saw a YouTube video about a small nick of plastic impeding the charger. Is it worth checking for damage/grit in the charge port?
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Chris

Post by Chris »

With exception of trying the cc’s charger for fault I only really use 7kw chargers at home or work and I always use my own cables for this (I have two), both cables and the charge port was sprayed with electrical contact cleaner and cleaned with cotton buds when the fault first happened and to be honest they was clean beforehand but to keep the dealer happy I did it

I’ve had a good look at the charge port and can’t see any damage and I’ve tested both cables and my charger with someone else’s ev

I think it’s the locking pin at fault but that’s just me guessing
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

What happened when you tried CCS?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Chris

Post by Chris »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:26 pm What happened when you tried CCS?
Wouldn’t start
Mo1

Post by Mo1 »

Chris wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:09 pm I think it’s the locking pin at fault but that’s just me guessing
Could be similar to the set up below.
The image attached is the Zoe pin lock mechanism, if the worm gear fails to fully drive home the actuator to activate the switch (Red ring) charging can not start and cable does not lock in as lock pin at bottom of image does not engage.

Lock pin.png

iD3 Tour 77kWh, White 73 Plate.
Octopus energy £50 referral https://share.octopus.energy/ashen-mule-519

Octopus Juice £5 referral https://electricjuice.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=ashen-mule-519
Chris

Post by Chris »

Car now with the dealer and they’ve ordered a replacement pin unit so hopefully next week all sorted

They had four used and a pre registered id3 to what I saw also a couple of id5’s which did look nice