if in doubt, turn it off and back on?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
TimF

Post by TimF »

We're not long back from a 1000 miles around UK, lots of learning - particularly about public chargers!

Leaving a car park in Carlisle, the infotainment screen suddenly went blank. I needed to reverse, and the rear-view duly appeared. Back into forward and the infotainment screen reappeared, but had lost things like satnav destination/route and the lane-assist switchoff. Everything else seemed fine, so carried on. About ten minutes later, got two (amber) warnings on the driver display about lights and cornering lights - didn't make any sense, and again nothing about driving seemed affected, so carried on. While setting up a charge session, noticed there was an message about "2 alerts". Clicking that brought up a graphic of the car, highlighting first the headlights then them plus direction indicators and rear cluster in amber. Having looked at these displays, it reverted to standard, and I've seen nothing about them since.

Turning a desktop off and back on again to clear an issue is irksome, but I'm not at all keen on that approach being a part of driving a car. The blank screen was a real distraction, the alerts moderately so. Fortunately, both times there were no other vehicles around and safety wasn't affected. Next time I might not be so lucky.

What happens to a car in self-driving mode if the main processor heads off down some rabbit hole of bogus fault detection? Scary.

OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Are you on v2.3? If so, a bit surprising you are getting that level of ‘glitch’. The only thing I’ve had approaching that is when the satnav lost gps and it through a total wobbly.
In general ‘if in doubt, turn off and leave for an hour’ mostly works. Although clearly you may not be able to do that!
We are a very long way from self driving. I wouldn’t personally trust VW software development to come up with a solution to water my plants tbh…
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.