Aftermarket Reversing Camera Installation

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Vic Thompson

Post by Vic Thompson »

I'm after information re a retrofit Reversing Camera installation, either by a VW dealership or an independent. I've been in touch with my local dealership who have informed me that it's not available through VW, but from previous postings on this Forum some of the readership believe that it is indeed a VW option.

So, basically, has anyone had it done by VW post delivery and if so would they be willing to let me know which dealership carried out the mod and at what cost. Ideally, if available, some reference to VW documentation would be useful as I might then be able to go back to my local dealership and they could cross reference the info and check to see if they actually can do the retrofit.

However, presumably there's some of you out there came across the same problems as me and then eventually ended up going through one of the third part organisations that offer ID3 aftermarket reversing cameras. If so, was this carried out to your satisfaction, and did you have any concerns regarding warranty problems, either VW or third party.

Thanks for any info that offers me good guidance re my quest,

Vic Thompson.

Jamie1c

Post by Jamie1c »

Halfords sell and fit them. Sorry that's all I can add to this thread.
Max pro (white)
East Derry wheels
Ordered the 20/08/21
Dealership- Arnold Clark
Status 10 (14/02/22)
Collected - 28/04/23
dodders

Post by dodders »

I've been thinking of going this way

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Having owned a life with no camera and now a tour with the camera and all the area view shizz - I wouldn’t spend that much for the camera. It’s nice - but I don’t have any problems reversing the id3 with the sensors.

But - fully appreciate some people really like the camera etc…
JohnEG

Post by JohnEG »

I had a reversing camera retro-fitted to my T-ROC about three years ago. The cost was £450 including fitting.
It was installed at the dealership - Martin's of Basingstoke - by a contractor they pay by the job for such tasks.
I have asked for one to be fitted to my long-awaited iD3 when it eventually arrives.

As to whether it's worth the money, I suppose it depends how risk averse you are. I find it invaluable for warning about low obstructions that don't show in the rear view mirror or wing mirrors, and on that score it has certainly paid for itself.
Life Pro Performance, White/Black, East Derry Alloys.
Order No: 31558xxx 18/11/21
Delivered 14 November 22
Zappi Charger
Software 3.2.0
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

I enquired about this with the dealership I purchased my ID.3 from and they wouldn’t touch it with a barge poll (Inchape Swindon).

I did then enquire with VW-Retrofit in Redditch as he previously retro fitted a digital dash and activated Apple CarPlay in my previous Seat Leon and he’s quoted £520 all-in. I’m yet to actually take the plunge due to the cost as I don’t think it’s quite worth it for me right now.

It’s worth checking him out if you’re really that keen on it though, he’s great at what he does!
2021 Life Pro Performance - Manganese Grey - 19" Andoyas - Software 2.3 - SOLD July 2022.
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

I had a “factory spec” reversing camera installed ass part of my order by the VW dealer before the car was delivered. Works perfectly and no different from factory camera I have seen on other ID.3 cars. Cost was bundled in the deal but was in region of £700 I think. My understanding is that this option is now ‘baked into’ the car’s specification list, with warranty etc.

Both dealers I was speaking to when I ordered this car offered this camera option as a matter of routine.
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.
Vic Thompson

Post by Vic Thompson »

I've tried various Dealerships (both locally and further afield) and tried a Web searche with little success, so am throwing the question back to the field. If you've had a Reversing Camera fitted by a VW Dealership is it possible to know which one (and approximate cost) so's I can make a few phone calls and see if there's anything that they can do to help me.

Thanks, Vic Thompson.
JohnEG

Post by JohnEG »

See my reply of June 22.
Life Pro Performance, White/Black, East Derry Alloys.
Order No: 31558xxx 18/11/21
Delivered 14 November 22
Zappi Charger
Software 3.2.0
Vic Thompson

Post by Vic Thompson »

Thanks for the reply JohnEG. Following your original posting I contacted the Dealership in question and they forwarded details of the third part installer that they used. However, I was not able to make contact with them as their number is "unobtainable" and there is no Web Site listed for them. So still looking I'm afraid.

Vic Thompson.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Vic Thompson wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:45 am Thanks for the reply JohnEG. Following your original posting I contacted the Dealership in question and they forwarded details of the third part installer that they used. However, I was not able to make contact with them as their number is "unobtainable" and there is no Web Site listed for them. So still looking I'm afraid.

Vic Thompson.
I asked my dealer yesterday, and they gave an emphatic thumbs down. They said that VW do not provide a retro fitting kit.
My wife would love the camera but I have read somewhere, that an aftermarket fit can cause problems with future VW software upgrades. Like the present 2.4 and 3.0 upgrades.