Bridgestone Turanza tyres and punctures.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
UpsidedownA

Post by UpsidedownA »

I'm driving a second half of 2021 reg ID.3 in Ireland. Our roads are not the best, but in less than a year, I've had three punctures/flat tyres!!! That's about as many as I've had in fifteen years driving ICE cars in Ireland. I think something's up with the tyres. The Bridgestone Turanza tyres that come supplied with the ID.3 have to be weaker than standard tyres.

It's a real nuisance that the car is not even supplied with a space saver wheel. I've had to learn the hard way and watch Youtube videos on my phone at the side of the road to learn how to use the tyre repair kit that came with the ID.3.

I strongly recommend other drivers to get a proper tyre repair kit (with internal patches like a bicycle tube repair kit) not just rely on the weirdo gloop kit that comes with the car, and watch a few Youtube videos to familiarise themselves with the process of fixing a tyre before it happens. It's actually not overwhelmingly difficult to patch a tyre if you have seen it done, but you don't want to be doing it in a stressful situation for the first time. Godspeed.

Busman

Post by Busman »

Does your ID.3 come with East Derry Alloys?I have East Derry Alloys on mine.Before I left the dealership with my new car I checked to see if the repair kit was in the boot.I was told there was no need for one,as the tyres had B-seal in them.Apparently if your ID.3 has steel wheels,it does not have B-seal.Having said that Volkswagen Ireland despite several emails have ignored all requests for confirmation.I was told by the Salesman that the Service manager confirmed that B-seal was present in factory supplied 18 inch Tyres on East Derry Alloys.Touch wood I have not had any punctures yet.I contacted a leading tyre supplier who confirmed that B-seal is not present in 18 inch Bridgestone Turanza.Would you believe Volkswagen?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Busman wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:31 am Does your ID.3 come with East Derry Alloys?I have East Derry Alloys on mine.Before I left the dealership with my new car I checked to see if the repair kit was in the boot.I was told there was no need for one,as the tyres had B-seal in them.Apparently if your ID.3 has steel wheels,it does not have B-seal.Having said that Volkswagen Ireland despite several emails have ignored all requests for confirmation.I was told by the Salesman that the Service manager confirmed that B-seal was present in factory supplied 18 inch Tyres on East Derry Alloys.Touch wood I have not had any punctures yet.I contacted a leading tyre supplier who confirmed that B-seal is not present in 18 inch Bridgestone Turanza.Would you believe Volkswagen?
In the UK at least, all 18 inch wheels on ID.3 should come with a basic pump & gunk style puncture repair kit. It's the same whether they are on alloys (as mine is) or steelies. Unless the spec is different in Ireland (which it may be) then your dealer was misinformed/telling fibs. Only the 19 and 20 inch tyres used in the UK are self sealing.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Busman

Post by Busman »

It appears now that a significant number of ID.3s came into Ireland without tyre puncture kits.And yes dealerships assumed that if a kit was not supplied with the car that it had Airstop / B-seal in the tyres.Of course Dealerships are saying no problem,sure you have breakdown cover,until we send you out your puncture kit.
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

I have had in 5000 miles, 3 rear tyres and 2 front tyres, I have never been so nervous about driving conditions as I am with the ID.3.
I now avoid certain roads that I know are punishing on car tyres, I too have Derry Wheels not steel.
The tyre deflation warning apparently works off the ABS not tyre pressure so you can get in your car and drive down the road before you notice the car feels off because you have no warning lights telling you about your deflated tyre.
Don't know if I'm just unlucky but this is the worst car I have had for punctures.
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro
duncsand

Post by duncsand »

Is it possible to upgrade from the Bridgestones on 18inch wheels to an alternative self-sealing tyre?
---
id.3 Family Pro Performance.
Ordered September 2021, build week 25, confirmed built 1st July, collected from dealer 20th July.
AndersG

Post by AndersG »

We have had a flat on the same tyre and almost same spot twice. Both times after driving on the gravel road to the cottage. Second time it was so bad that we had to replace the tyre with a Yokohama Blue-something XT. The original tyres are Bridgestone Touranza on steel rims.

The car has a kit for repairs, but we did not bother, but asked a friend to bring us one of our winter tyres so we could drive to the garage.
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

I'm in the same boat in England - my car was supplied without anything. The dealer says the cars build sheet is correct and it lists neither spare wheel nor inflation pump and as a consequence they can't do anything to help. I will buy an inflation pump off ebay for £25.
2022 (22 plate) Pure performance 150PS - Moonstone Grey (cancelled order), standard spec.
Now Sold!!
B737

Post by B737 »

First puncture whilst approaching a full year of ownership. Followed immediately by the remaining 3 tyres having worn to beyond legal limit. Therefore, had to replace all 4 tyres at the same time!

I have steel wheels with a spare kit but a tyre expert shared with me that these Bridgestone Turanza Eco tyres have composite soft rubber and hence can easily be pierced by nails or glass leading to a puncture. And given that it is soft rubber, it wears quicker with the immense torque of the EV. So in conclusion, it's the Bridgestone Tyres rather than the EV that seems to be the problem.
VW ID.3 Max Pro Performance - Manganese Grey
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Bridgestones have a rock hardcompound, that's why the ride is so poor with them. You'll immediately noti e an improvement in ride quality if you swap them for Conti/Michelin/Goodyear.

The Turanza tyres that come with the ID3 have a relatively short service life because they only came with 5.9mm tread to begin with - which is terrible, from an environmental point of view.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Indeed - Bridgestones are well known for being a super hard tyre. The reduced tread depth explains their shorter than expected life.
2022 (22 plate) Pure performance 150PS - Moonstone Grey (cancelled order), standard spec.
Now Sold!!
RoDaMo

Post by RoDaMo »

I have a 72 plate ID3 in rural Norfolk, England.
I like the ID3 BUT I have now had seven punctures (YES, 7 punctures) in less than 18 months. I have never had this problem with any of my previous cars so have come to the conclusion there is a design issue.
The width between the treads on the Bridgestones seems very wide compared to the tyres on previous cars and my current second car. The depth of tread also looks quite shallow in comparison.
Anyway, I am going to change the ID3 for another make as I have absolutely no confidence in travelling any distance in the ID3. I will probably go for a Plug In Hybrid rather than fully electric which is a shame!
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Or you could just change the tyres?

The Euranzas are not great, with a low start depth of 5mm in comparison with to up to 8mm in others.

Once my Euranzas are shot, I'm switching to a combi tyre, there's plenty of recommendations if you root around this forum.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

RoDaMo wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:39 pm I have a 72 plate ID3 in rural Norfolk, England.
I like the ID3 BUT I have now had seven punctures (YES, 7 punctures) in less than 18 months. I have never had this problem with any of my previous cars so have come to the conclusion there is a design issue.
The width between the treads on the Bridgestones seems very wide compared to the tyres on previous cars and my current second car. The depth of tread also looks quite shallow in comparison.
Anyway, I am going to change the ID3 for another make as I have absolutely no confidence in travelling any distance in the ID3. I will probably go for a Plug In Hybrid rather than fully electric which is a shame!
The idea that a particular car (as opposed to tyre) is puncture prone is a bit nonsensical. I've got Continentals on mine and had no punctures in 2 years driving (22000 miles).
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Boattrainman wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:45 pm Or you could just change the tyres?

The Euranzas are not great, with a low start depth of 5mm in comparison with to up to 8mm in others.

Once my Euranzas are shot, I'm switching to a combi tyre, there's plenty of recommendations if you root around this forum.

Rob
I wonder if anyone has tried to get the tyres replaced from the time you pick it up new from the dealer? Or maybe made that a condition of buying the car?
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

I had no choice Scratch, as SH purchase.

Even my tyre guy suggested getting rid of the Euranzas when he replaced a blow out last year, only reason they are not gone is there's still over 3mm on them all.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
the.kes

Post by the.kes »

Despite my Turanzas having done less than 6k miles, I invested £600 in Michelin Cross Climate 2 re-enforced version and ditched the Bridgestones.
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022