Drivers Display colour change

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
ruhcaw

Post by ruhcaw »

Hello, I'm new to this forum and have an ongoing issue with my 1st Edition ID.3 where the display randomly goes either blue or yellow (more common). It is only for a second (refresh) but it is quite annoying. It will happen more less everytime I'm out in the car but is random. It took me ages to get the video evidence which I have shown to the local VW dealer and the only response I've had is "VW are investigating". I couldn't add the 4 second video clips on here as the forum doesn't seem to support video files so I had attached some screenshots from the videos to give you an idea.

Screenshot 2022-07-11 at 10.00.28.png

Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

I get this regularly - and there's been a previous account of the phenomenon on this forum. For me it’s always just as I look back at the drivers screen, and can be either colour. I’ve put it down to a visual thing, not a fault. Have you ever used a data projector? I have, and if I blink I can see the repetitive Red, Green, Blue sequence of the rotary filter. The combination of R,G and B give the impression of white light to our brains. I’ve had my car for over twelve months now and have seen no real problem associated with this phenomenon.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
ruhcaw

Post by ruhcaw »

Thanks for the reply, don't suppose you remember under what thread this was discussed before would be interested to see if anyone got anywhere on it ?

Not sure I'm convinced it is a visual thing, if that was the case then surely I wouldn't have captured it on video. Also if it was a visual thing you'd imagine VW would have tested the components / materials used, angles of the display etc to ensure that wouldn't happen as it isn't something that should occur on a car display. I've driven a few other cars with digital displays and haven't seen this, so to me it is a fault that should be resolved.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Hi Ruhcaw
Maybe it's not a visual thing; as you say VW are investigating. But it would still be recordable either way; depends on the exact setting/frames per second of the recorder.
Think of it this way. You've watched films at the cinema? There are NO moving pictures! The projector shows a series of STILL images at about 24 frames per second. Our brain/eyes perceive a moving picture.
I've just had a look at my entries on this forum and cannot find the thread that includes this phenomenon - sorry.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
baguette

Post by baguette »

This is not a "visual thing". The rainbow phenomenon from projectors is an artifact of single chip DLP using a colour wheel. No such technology is being used in the LCD display in the ID.3 instrument cluster. The images posted clearly show that at times, blue is not being displayed and at other times green is not being displayed. I won't surmise whether this is a hardware problem or a software one, but it's fairly clear it's not simply down to individual interpretation, especially if these phenomena are lasting a second.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

baguette wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:51 am This is not a "visual thing". The rainbow phenomenon from projectors is an artifact of single chip DLP using a colour wheel. No such technology is being used in the LCD display in the ID.3 instrument cluster. The images posted clearly show that at times, blue is not being displayed and at other times green is not being displayed. I won't surmise whether this is a hardware problem or a software one, but it's fairly clear it's not simply down to individual interpretation, especially if these phenomena are lasting a second.
+1 Absolutely an error. Dealer/VW 'looking into it' is nonsense espevially with Video evidence.
Raymysterio

Post by Raymysterio »

Mine does this ever since I had the screen replaced. At first I thought it was imagination until the mrs saw it one day. I have nothing to record with as I am driving so no evidence.
Can’t be bothered to take it back to the dealer and be without for days again tbh.