Home Assistant integrations

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
yacoob

Post by yacoob »

Is anyone here using software like https://github.com/mitch-dc/volkswagen_we_connect_id to extract charge/mileage data from your ID3 into more permanent form? I plan to do that, and I'm looking for people who use this and have a first-hand opinion :) Does the data that you extract coincide with what you observe in the real world? Do you use any automations or triggers? Do they work reliably?

cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

I haven't yet, but thanks for pointing that out! I'll add that to my Home Assistant serve later in the week.
Tour 5 77kWh Pro S 204HP in Stone Washed Blue
Ordered October 2021
Build Started: Week 21 2022
Delivered: Week: Week 26 2022

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Turquoise

Post by Turquoise »

I don't have my car yet, but thanks for the head's up for when I do. Love Home Assistant.
Family PP (Turquoise with East Derry alloys)
Ordered Oct '21 (Tusker/Marshall Fleet)
Built '22 wk33, delivered wk41

Zappi 7kW Black tethered
4.5kWp solar with 7.5kWh battery

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-sun-45
duncsand

Post by duncsand »

I've been looking at this - I have a raspberry pi that collects usage data from my smart meters via mqtt and I plan to use this library to add my id.3 data: https://github.com/tillsteinbach/WeConnect-mqtt

I haven't had a chance to play yet as I only got the car this week!
---
id.3 Family Pro Performance.
Ordered September 2021, build week 25, confirmed built 1st July, collected from dealer 20th July.
baguette

Post by baguette »

I've been using https://github.com/tillsteinbach/VWsFriend for several months and I'm happy with it, and looking forward to it maturing in the future. I haven't looked into any HA integration.
ColinRobbins

Post by ColinRobbins »

Yes, I am using it.
The integration works well.
I use it to track charging, and have automation to tell me when charging is complete etc.
The VW API it calls is a little unstable.
yacoob

Post by yacoob »

What do you mean by "little unstable"? Missing data?
cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

I've been using the HA integration for a few days and it's not been great. Several of the sensors report wrong data, not sure if the problem is the integration of the VW API as discussed above.
Ordered October 2021

yacoob

Post by yacoob »

Report this as a bug! Only way to find out :)
cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

yacoob wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:22 pm Report this as a bug! Only way to find out :)
I'm pretty sure someone on this forum already reported it...
https://github.com/mitch-dc/volkswagen_ ... /issues/55

I think its mainly related to unavailability events. But potential disrupts automations because I might set it to do something on an event start, but because it goes through an unavailable status and then back to whatever status it was before, that's considered a new event rather than a continuation of the original state. Luckily I have no current plans for automation events based on the data I get from the car.
Ordered October 2021

daern

Post by daern »

cornbutter wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:40 pm
yacoob wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:22 pm Report this as a bug! Only way to find out :)

I think its mainly related to unavailability events. But potential disrupts automations because I might set it to do something on an event start, but because it goes through an unavailable status and then back to whatever status it was before, that's considered a new event rather than a continuation of the original state. Luckily I have no current plans for automation events based on the data I get from the car.
Slightly late reply to this topic, but I hope you get notified and see it!

There's been a load of work done over the last month on the interface for the Cupra Born, which, while bearing some similarities to the ID.3 (i.e. authentication) is otherwise quite different. It's been implemented using the same library (WeConnect-python) which runs the ID.3 integration, with a new service switch to allow you to select what sort of car you have. I've been doing a lot of the reverse-engineering and testing for this, and the results so far have been excellent.

I write this here because, as part of this, we've improved the stability of the underlying calls to the backend servers, which for both the ID.3 and Cupra Born are extremely unreliable and constantly throw errors. The latest version of the Born integration is now 100% stable and doesn't throw any "unavailable" status updates back to HA and, because of the way it's been implemented, this will also have improved the ID.3 integration as well. For now, it's running in a parallel branch, but the intention is to merge this back into the main integration so that both cars get the benefit of the work that has been done here. It's not quite ready yet, but hopefully will be before too much longer has passed so keep an eye out for it!

And of course, because Home Assistant is awesome, you can easily do stuff like this:

Screenshot 2022-11-17 134545.png

...which will grace our kitchen somewhere when I get around to tidying up the UI a bit!

Once we get a bit further down the road, I'd be delighted if anyone here wanted to test the updates so we can be confident we've not broken the VW side of the API! Please drop a reply if you are interested.
Cupra Born V2 - Vapor Grey
Lease order placed in Jan '22
Dealer order placed in March '22
Build date confirmed, delivery due late-July '22
ID.3 Family Pro - ordered Jan, optimistically due end of '22. Cancelled in Feb
cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

daern wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:52 pm
cornbutter wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:40 pm

Slightly late reply to this topic, but I hope you get notified and see it!

There's been a load of work done over the last month on the interface for the Cupra Born, which, while bearing some similarities to the ID.3 (i.e. authentication) is otherwise quite different. It's been implemented using the same library (WeConnect-python) which runs the ID.3 integration, with a new service switch to allow you to select what sort of car you have. I've been doing a lot of the reverse-engineering and testing for this, and the results so far have been excellent.

I write this here because, as part of this, we've improved the stability of the underlying calls to the backend servers, which for both the ID.3 and Cupra Born are extremely unreliable and constantly throw errors. The latest version of the Born integration is now 100% stable and doesn't throw any "unavailable" status updates back to HA and, because of the way it's been implemented, this will also have improved the ID.3 integration as well. For now, it's running in a parallel branch, but the intention is to merge this back into the main integration so that both cars get the benefit of the work that has been done here. It's not quite ready yet, but hopefully will be before too much longer has passed so keep an eye out for it!

And of course, because Home Assistant is awesome, you can easily do stuff like this:
Screenshot 2022-11-17 134545.png
...which will grace our kitchen somewhere when I get around to tidying up the UI a bit!

Once we get a bit further down the road, I'd be delighted if anyone here wanted to test the updates so we can be confident we've not broken the VW side of the API! Please drop a reply if you are interested.
Excellent, I'll give it an update during the week this week. I've been working on some automations on my home security devices recently and I'm happy enough with them now so I could start looking at doing more with the car.
Ordered October 2021

daern

Post by daern »

cornbutter wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:38 am Excellent, I'll give it an update during the week this week. I've been working on some automations on my home security devices recently and I'm happy enough with them now so I could start looking at doing more with the car.
Loads of cool stuff you can do, not least of which being to bin the VW / Cupra native apps :-)

For example, mine nags me if I arrive home with a low battery and forget to plug the car in before bedtime as I've forgotten to do this more than once! Also does a bit more smart stuff with preheating based on outside temperature and my wife's schedule, which she very much likes!
cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

daern wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:57 am
cornbutter wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:38 am Excellent, I'll give it an update during the week this week. I've been working on some automations on my home security devices recently and I'm happy enough with them now so I could start looking at doing more with the car.
Loads of cool stuff you can do, not least of which being to bin the VW / Cupra native apps :-)

For example, mine nags me if I arrive home with a low battery and forget to plug the car in before bedtime as I've forgotten to do this more than once! Also does a bit more smart stuff with preheating based on outside temperature and my wife's schedule, which she very much likes!
The reminder to charge is one that I'm thinking about, I'm thinking about taking my Google calendar and weather forecasts for needing additional charge or not. Need to do some maths for it though.
Ordered October 2021

daern

Post by daern »

cornbutter wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:33 pm The reminder to charge is one that I'm thinking about, I'm thinking about taking my Google calendar and weather forecasts for needing additional charge or not. Need to do some maths for it though.

Code: Select all

- id: car_not_plugged_in_at_bedtime
  alias: Car is not plugged in at bedtime
  trigger:
  - platform: time
    at: '21:00:00'
  - platform: state
    entity_id: device_tracker.cupra_born_tracker
    to: 'home'
    for: '00:10:00'
  condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.cupra_born_plug_connection_state
    state: 'off' # not plugged in
  - condition: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.cupra_born_state_of_charge
    below: 60 
    state: 'home'
  action:
    .... (send a notification / shout on the home speakers for me)
For the non-HA people out there, this will shout out a notification if I arrive home with < 60% charge but haven't plugged in for 10 minutes. It also shouts out a 9pm regardless (in case I forgot the night before too!) This is the Cupra integration - it's probably a touch different to the ID.3 one, although they are very similar (and the core functions identical). I could throw in the ambient temperature, but I've not bothered just yet so we'll see how it goes.
Turquoise

Post by Turquoise »

Definitely pinching that, thanks!

Zappi 7kW Black tethered

daern

Post by daern »

Turquoise wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:39 pm Definitely pinching that, thanks!
Still finding my way and coming up with new ideas. This one alerts me when the car finishes charging at a public charger, so I know I need to go and shift the car to let someone else use the charger:

Code: Select all

- id: charging_away_from_home_completed
  alias: Charging Away From Home Completed
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.cupra_born_charging_state
    to: 
      - 'notReadyForCharging'
      - 'readyForCharging'
      - 'chargePurposeReachedAndNotConservationCharging'
      - 'chargePurposeReachedAndConservation'
      - 'off'
  condition:
    - condition: not
      conditions:
          state: 'home'
  action:
This one is quite useful actually. Quite surprised that the app doesn't do this itself (at least, the Cupra app doesn't) as it's such an obvious thing you'd want to know. Anyway, mine is cooler as it doesn't bother me if I'm at home ;-)

I've also got a much more complicated one to handle the slow-charging bug, but it works flawlessly so I'm very happy with it. (It actually fired last night for the first time in anger!)
Turquoise

Post by Turquoise »

Yesterday was the first time that I'd charged the car away from home and managed to time my trip into IKEA almost exactly with the car getting to 80% charge. :D

Ended up translating your home reminder into Node-red where I already have some automations that work when I get home. I'll work something up similar to that away from home charge one too, for the next time that I need to use a public charger. Thanks for the inspiration!

Zappi 7kW Black tethered

daern

Post by daern »

Turquoise wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:06 pm Yesterday was the first time that I'd charged the car away from home and managed to time my trip into IKEA almost exactly with the car getting to 80% charge. :D

Ended up translating your home reminder into Node-red where I already have some automations that work when I get home. I'll work something up similar to that away from home charge one too, for the next time that I need to use a public charger. Thanks for the inspiration!
Excellent stuff :-)
cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

daern wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:08 pm
Turquoise wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:06 pm Yesterday was the first time that I'd charged the car away from home and managed to time my trip into IKEA almost exactly with the car getting to 80% charge. :D

Excellent stuff :-)
Have you or anyone else having problems with the integration basically timing out after a short period of time? I've noticed that everything is out of date usually within an hour and I have to reinitialise the integration again in order to see live data again.
Ordered October 2021