Wrong range reported when charging schedule overriden

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Lecoche

Post by Lecoche »

Hi all!

So my ID3 has been charging overnight up to 80% as usual and since I have a bit of a trip today and to be on the safe side I decided to bump up the charge. Currently showing 200 miles of range.

So I went in the app and and clicked on "charging times" and set it to "charge immediately" (not sure if that's the right wording) so it started charging and then the app shows 126 miles! :o

10 minutes later I stopped the charging and the app shows 198 miles. Although I believe this may be correct for some recalculated range the car may have done since I told it to charge over 80%, but I'm half guessing here.

All in all another email that will go to VW support. I feel like I'm working for them with so many emails reporting issues with software and only one week of ownership.
Aside from the software the car is lovely! :P

Anyway ranting over. Has anyone experienced this? :|

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

It's a calculated figure based on previous driving and current usage, the app has to transfer information between your phone and car via VWs computers, there can be differences in the numbers. The car or app can't predict the future it gives a best guess.
Lecoche

Post by Lecoche »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:12 pm It's a calculated figure based on previous driving and current usage, the app has to transfer information between your phone and car via VWs computers, there can be differences in the numbers. The car or app can't predict the future it gives a best guess.
I guess you are referring at the adjustment from 200 to 198 miles?
I can understand that but what seems way off is going from 200 to 126 just because I clicked on "charge immediately". This happened automatically.
ricko

Post by ricko »

Lecoche wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:13 am Hi all!

So my ID3 has been charging overnight up to 80% as usual and since I have a bit of a trip today and to be on the safe side I decided to bump up the charge. Currently showing 200 miles of range.

So I went in the app and and clicked on "charging times" and set it to "charge immediately" (not sure if that's the right wording) so it started charging and then the app shows 126 miles! :o

10 minutes later I stopped the charging and the app shows 198 miles. Although I believe this may be correct for some recalculated range the car may have done since I told it to charge over 80%, but I'm half guessing here.

All in all another email that will go to VW support. I feel like I'm working for them with so many emails reporting issues with software and only one week of ownership.
Aside from the software the car is lovely! :P

Anyway ranting over. Has anyone experienced this? :|
Hi

Yes I am getting this sometimes - and have a case open with VW app support.
It's a miles/kilometres conversion issue - it happens if you unlock the car without powering up (button or brake) and then re-locking it

In your example 200 km (though it's really miles) is approximately 126 miles

Rick
Life Pro Performance Kings Red + heatpump
Ordered 11/10/2021 @ Inchcape
Build week 38/22
Collected 20/07/22

Intelligent Octopus referral link (£50 credit) : https://share.octopus.energy/frost-snake-180
Lecoche

Post by Lecoche »

ricko wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:04 pm
Lecoche wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:13 am Hi
Hi

Yes I am getting this sometimes - and have a case open with VW app support.
It's a miles/kilometres conversion issue - it happens if you unlock the car without powering up (button or brake) and then re-locking it

In your example 200 km (though it's really miles) is approximately 126 miles

Rick
Hi Rick,
I think I saw your post yesterday. It definitely looks like the same issue but triggered slightly differently.
In one week I've reported 4 or 5 issues, I've lost count and I'm struggling to keep track of my email conversations with their support team.

To be fair to them, they answer very quickly but it looks like the development team is struggling with the workload. I can't imagine what it would've been like one year ago.

My other gripe is with the profiles. Naively, I thought I'd be able to setup a profile for me and another one for my wife but I've given up for now. We'll be sharing one profile until a new improved version is released.

Who would have thought that VW is able to produce a groundbreaking vehicle but can't do software!