Inadequate Wiping on Auto Wipers

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
slug56

Post by slug56 »

Hi all,

I've recently noticed (post-2.4 update but that may well be a coincidence) that nothing except really heavy rain will get the auto-wipers to engage and clear the windscreen - even on their most sensitive setting.

It's been bugging me for a few days but today I got stuck in a downpour and with the little toggle on the stalk pushed all the way to the right, they were wiping maybe once every 5+ seconds when I'd have expected them to be on that fastest turbo-crazy speed. It was wholly inadequate for the conditions.

I do have a rain repellent applied to the glass. Even though I've used this on other cars with auto wipers without a problem, the id.3 manual suggests this can interfere with the rain sensing and cause them not to wipe as fast as they should, so this sounds like an obvious culprit.

I'll remove the product from over the sensors near the rear-view mirror, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced the same with their id.3?
Max Pro Performance, Glacier White, 18" East Derrys, MY22

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I use rain-X on my windscreen and my auto wipers work properly - it's completely transparent (as I assume all rain repellents will be), so the rain sensor should work fine with it on.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
slug56

Post by slug56 »

Ah, I think I've figured it out. I'm going to go out on a limb and say my sensor isn't supposed to look like this...

PXL_20220806_171856624.jpg

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Definitely not.

Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

I suspect that's going to be a new windscreen. The windscreen comes with the plastic holder for the sensors and camera bonded to the screen and they clip into the holder.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

New windscreen should be under warranty - there's nothing you've fine to that, it's a manudacturing defect - so take it to the dealership rather than going through the windscreen coverage on uiur insurance.

slug56

Post by slug56 »

Quick update. I booked in a service appointment, but called in a few days prior to check if it was an easy fix. I was told the bracket/sensor housing is bonded to the windscreen, but not the sensor itself, so it shouldn't be a problem to fix.

Fast forward to today. I dropped it off this morning, but they can't reattach the existing sensor without the air bubbles, so they have a new sensor (that comes with fresh gel) on backorder and might have it in a week or two.