Aircon stopped working again

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

3 times in 18 months.

Barely made it 3 months from the previous failure.

Same symptoms, hissing, driver side stopped then both sides.

Same denial from the same dealer “it is a quiet car so you hear the hissing”

Going in Monday for this, new wheels (2nd replacements, 45k), 2.4 upgrade.

Fortunately then leave for holiday so they can do what they want.

OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

That’s very irritating!
I had a complete infotainment screen blackout this week which corrected after an ‘ID3 nap’. The lack of aircon, directed air was the main issue of course.
I think I did something slightly unusual re button clicking before it happened so I guess there’s still a few bugs around.
And I still have the SOS error which is booked in on Aug 17. I have stopped the 2.4 update because I am selling the car shortly, my new Niro EV is arriving start of Sept….
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If only the dealership was as good at taking the hiss as they are at taking the piss. :lol:
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 314

Hahahahaha, love it 😀😀😀
the.kes

Post by the.kes »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:35 pm If only the dealership was as good at taking the hiss as they are at taking the piss. :lol:
Classic, that saying needs preserving.
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
Deleted User 314

11 days later, the hiss has been taken out - coimpressor was broken and the entire "front" relating to aircon has been ordered (lost in translation I'm afraid). This is the 3rd time and the dealer is mystified.

Software has been updated but the battery wasn't replaced, we have a Pro Max, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

We've a free id3 loaner from the dealer until ours is fixed so it's not as stressful as it could be.

My wife and I were discussing the whole EV experience with VW (we're both software engineers) and we've come to the conclusion that the dealers need to stop operating with an entirely mechanical mindset and consider software as a core part of the engieering/mechanics. I can say 100% that our dealer is a 0/10 when it comes to understanding the software components, through no fault of his own. VW need to do better in educating their dealership - nothing new there I suppose.

Anyway, scooting around in a free iD3, charging free through Catalunya.. sweet.
Bengeo

Post by Bengeo »

Anduain wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:20 am
Software has been updated but the battery wasn't replaced, we have a Pro Max, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

I would query about the battery. My Tour was updated only five weeks after delivery and the battery was replaced.
The new battery is marked 668 192 RA
Tour 77kWh Pro S in Glacier White

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Deleted User 314

Thank you! Is there any chance the confusion is because we have a Max?
Bengeo

Post by Bengeo »

From what I have read all models should have that new battery. You could check and see what you have now.
Tour 77kWh Pro S in Glacier White

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Deleted User 314

It's at the dealer, but I have just found a link on VW Spain's site indicating every car needs it.. so that should be the end of it. Thanks for the inspiration!
Deleted User 314

"Oh yes, we replaced the battery" (and sent a photo to confirm) .... all's well that ends well.

Aircon still being replaced.
New tyres (3rd set in 45K, no more "B" for us)
2.4/Battery

But a free loaner so not all bad.
Deleted User 314

Car back
New battery
2.4 installed
Working aircon
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Anduain wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:57 am "Oh yes, we replaced the battery" (and sent a photo to confirm) .... all's well that ends well.

Aircon still being replaced.
New tyres (3rd set in 45K, no more "B" for us)
2.4/Battery

But a free loaner so not all bad.
"no more "B" for us"? Sorry, gone straight over my head.
Deleted User 314

The dealer told us that excessive use of B mode impacted tyre wear.

We do a lot of B driving as we live at the top of a steep mountain.

Since he has no “proof” of this we are going to avoid B to see if it does indeed make a difference.

Sceptical but doing it anyway.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Anduain wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:31 am The dealer told us that excessive use of B mode impacted tyre wear.

Since he has no “proof” of this we are going to avoid B to see if it does indeed make a difference.

Oh. I also use B most of time, with the rare exception when I use motorways.
It will take a long time to actually discover if this is true or not.
Deleted User 314

Agreed, although we are changing tyres every 22k km, so it’ll take about 7 months :)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

That has got to be bollocks - no matter whether you're in B or D mode, if the car slows down (up to the 0.25G threshold of regen), it is using regen, whether you press the brake pedal in D mode, or come off the accelerator in B mode to slow down. The only way I can imagine being true is if B mode people generally come right off the accelerator to have the regen kick in hard and D mode people are generally more progressive on the brake pedal, and perhaps coming off the accelerator early and relying on regen less.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Anduain wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:31 am The dealer told us that excessive use of B mode impacted tyre wear.

Makes no sense to me. Using B typically involves gentle braking earlier and for longer. I’d expect less tyre wear if anything.
I use B all the while and after 18,000 miles my Contis are 4.8 mm fronts and 3.6 backs.
Deleted User 314

Hmmm, very interesting indeed.

28,000 miles and on 3rd set of tyres.

We don’t thrash it, wonder if it is the roads here, I’ll talk to the local iD3 drivers, there are quite a few of us.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Anduain wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:17 pm Hmmm, very interesting indeed.

28,000 miles and on 3rd set of tyres.

We don’t thrash it, wonder if it is the roads here, I’ll talk to the local iD3 drivers, there are quite a few of us.
I guess the obvious question is what tyres are you putting on, and where is the wear you are seeing. Are you replacing all 4 at once, are the wheels being balanced ??