Charging schedule being ignored

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Lecoche

Post by Lecoche »

I'm experiencing an issue where whenever I plug in the charging cable at home (haven't tried anywhere else yet) the infotainment system shows "Charge immediately" and so it starts charging.
However in the app I have it set to charge from 00.30 - 4.30. :!:
I'm not sure if I have missed anything but I've looked everywhere in the car and the app and can't find anything wrong.
Until I figure it out I'm having to double check the screen and set it to charging as per the schedule which is quite annoying, every time I plug it in.
I'm on version 3.0.
Has anyone else seen this happening? :?:
Thanks!

Jimmybones100

Post by Jimmybones100 »

My 77kw tour pro was doing the same and Ohme says there is a problem with the iD3 software and there are trying to sort it out with VW,like last last night I wanted it to charge up to 90% but somehow it charged up to 100% and I don’t know why luckily it only charged at off peak rate only .
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Lecoche wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:06 pm I'm experiencing an issue where whenever I plug in the charging cable at home (haven't tried anywhere else yet) the infotainment system shows "Charge immediately" and so it starts charging.
I'm not sure if I have missed anything but I've looked everywhere in the car and the app and can't find anything wrong.
Until I figure it out I'm having to double check the screen and set it to charging as per the schedule which is quite annoying, every time I plug it in.
I'm on version 3.0.
Thanks!
It sounds like you are suggesting the settings in the car are not the same as in the App? The app should update the car, it is the car that controls the charging. Is the car online?
Jiffie

Post by Jiffie »

Lecoche wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:06 pm I'm experiencing an issue where whenever I plug in the charging cable at home (haven't tried anywhere else yet) the infotainment system shows "Charge immediately" and so it starts charging.
I'm on version 3.0.
Thanks!
Hi, I recently got my ID3 and so far have done one charge overnight between 00:30 and 4:30 without any problems, doing another tonight. I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus and set the schedule in the Wallbox rather than in the car. I have no charging schedules set up in the car though I do have it set to charge to 80%. I followed the guidance in the link below put forward by mish and it went exactly as he said. So set up the schedule in the Wallbox app, plugged the connector into the ID3 and got the red light at the ID3 socket indicating a fault, I ignored this as per mish's instructions and the car charged according to the schedule I set up in the Wallbox, i.e. between 0:30 and 4:30. The car charged up to 80% as set in the car.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1684

Hope this helps.

What charger are you using?
VW ID3 Family Pro, Steel Wheels, Stonewashed Blue. Registered 2022, Firmware Version 3.0. Wallbox Pulsar Plus charger.
ajf

Post by ajf »

The schedule function definitely does not work.

I now have two e-cars and my BMW follows the schedule, the iD3 does not.

Luckily one of my wall chargers is a "smart" one so I simply get the charger to manage the schedule and the iD3's only role is to cut off when it is full at 80 or 90 or 100%.

I have raised this fault with the After Sales Manager with my VW garage, along with a whole list of other SW things that don't seem to work properly. Awaiting response.
iD3 Tour Pro (77kW) in white
Ordered Aug 2021, initially due Jan 2022, arrived 31 May 2022
Souljacker

Post by Souljacker »

Obviously reading the above it seems that the charging schedule is mostly broken at the moment, but has anyone got any advice for programming it if you haven't got a choice but to use it? I've got a dumb charger installed at home but really need to start taking advantage of bulbs EV tariff soon which has off-peak hours of 2AM to 6AM. I can't understand why they haven't included an option to just 'charge between these hours' into the car instead of the confusing departure time system.

If anyone has any insight in how best to set this up it would be much appreciated.
Family Pro Performance, Moonstone grey, East Derry alloys
Order date 09/10/2021
Zenith salary sacrifice, Lookers Harrogate
31498*** order No
Current build week 26
Delivered 29/07/22
Software version 3.0
Podpoint charger
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Souljacker wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:20 pm Obviously reading the above it seems that the charging schedule is mostly broken at the moment, but has anyone got any advice for programming it if you haven't got a choice but to use it? I've got a dumb charger installed at home but really need to start taking advantage of bulbs EV tariff soon which has off-peak hours of 2AM to 6AM. I can't understand why they haven't included an option to just 'charge between these hours' into the car instead of the confusing departure time system.

If anyone has any insight in how best to set this up it would be much appreciated.
Is your car running Software Version 3.0? I was under the impression it was fixed in 3.0
It's difficult to get a picture now as people don't give their software versions (or Phone type for the App) and there are now 3/4 versions of the software on the roads. (I assume no one is on pre 2.1) Anything pre 3.0 is broken there is a work around of breaking the charge up into 30minute slots that solves it for some people but if your on 3.0 not sure.
lm7693

Post by lm7693 »

In my experience scheduled charging is completely broken since 2.4. My ID.4 was updated 1 week ago (uneventful), my ID. 3 is booked in for the start of October. On 2.3 I was able to use scheduled charging to charge during my discounted period from 2AM. It was not reliable and sometimes I needed a top-up at daytime rates, but mostly I got by. I do not have the option of scheduling using the charger as my home charge point is a Volkswagen ID Charger Pro which doesn't have this function. Since 2.4 I have found that any location I create is always deleted at midnight and so the scheduled 2AM charge never happens. I am told 3.0 will fix this. I have been keeping an eye on the German language forums meinid.com and goingelectric.de as I believe it is going to be rolled out there initially, but so far no one is reporting a successful OTA update. Hopefully it will come soon.
ID. 3 1st Edition v3.2 Sept 2020
ID. 4 1st Edition v3.2 April 2021
VW ID. Charger Pro
Lecoche

Post by Lecoche »

Jiffie wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:30 pm
I'm on version 3.0.
Thanks!
Hi, I recently got my ID3 and so far have done one charge overnight between 00:30 and 4:30 without any problems, doing another tonight. I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus and set the schedule in the Wallbox rather than in the car. I have no charging schedules set up in the car though I do have it set to charge to 80%. I followed the guidance in the link below put forward by mish and it went exactly as he said. So set up the schedule in the Wallbox app, plugged the connector into the ID3 and got the red light at the ID3 socket indicating a fault, I ignored this as per mish's instructions and the car charged according to the schedule I set up in the Wallbox, i.e. between 0:30 and 4:30. The car charged up to 80% as set in the car.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1684

Hope this helps.

What charger are you using?
I'm using an old dumb charger so all my setup has to be done at the car end.
I suspect the issue is to do with the profiles and the message asking if you want to apply the new downloaded settings but I'll have to investigate further.
It's beyond belief that they can't release reliable software but I'm still hopeful! :lol:
van

Post by van »

Souljacker wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:20 pm Obviously reading the above it seems that the charging schedule is mostly broken at the moment, but has anyone got any advice for programming it if you haven't got a choice but to use it? I've got a dumb charger installed at home but really need to start taking advantage of bulbs EV tariff soon which has off-peak hours of 2AM to 6AM. I can't understand why they haven't included an option to just 'charge between these hours' into the car instead of the confusing departure time system.

In 2.3 I found it mostly worked by setting up several one hour charging periods, running consecutively, with a departure time shortly after the cheap charge period.
But I was just playing with a new toy to be honest, I didn't need the car to schedule the charge as my smart charger is good at doing it. But if you've no other choice give this a try?
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.
Souljacker

Post by Souljacker »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:02 pm Is your car running Software Version 3.0? I was under the impression it was fixed in 3.0
It's difficult to get a picture now as people don't give their software versions (or Phone type for the App) and there are now 3/4 versions of the software on the roads. (I assume no one is on pre 2.1) Anything pre 3.0 is broken there is a work around of breaking the charge up into 30minute slots that solves it for some people but if your on 3.0 not sure.
Yes my car is on 3.0. I'm on an android phone. I'm actually running a test on it now and it does seem to be working ok. Just waiting to see if it will shut off at the right time. I've only had my ID3 a couple of weeks and I think I must of missed the 'charge at preferred times' section the last time I looked which is basically what I was moaning about as being missing earlier!
Order date 09/10/2021
31498*** order No
Current build week 26
Delivered 29/07/22
Software version 3.0
Podpoint charger
Lecoche

Post by Lecoche »

A few weeks later now I can confirm that this is still not working. It seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes it will show "charge at preferred times" on the exit screen, which is what I have the app set for Home location, but mostly it will show "charge immediately" so I need to be checking the exit screen whenever I get home and switch it off.
I'm quite puzzled as I can't see this issue happening to other users.
It's almost as if the app doesn't sync with the vehicle, or perhaps it does but later on the car "decides" to do otherwise.
Anyway, seeing what other software issues some people have I'm feeling almost relieved! :|
Souljacker

Post by Souljacker »

Lecoche wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:52 pm A few weeks later now I can confirm that this is still not working. It seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes it will show "charge at preferred times" on the exit screen, which is what I have the app set for Home location, but mostly it will show "charge immediately" so I need to be checking the exit screen whenever I get home and switch it off.
I'm quite puzzled as I can't see this issue happening to other users.
It's almost as if the app doesn't sync with the vehicle, or perhaps it does but later on the car "decides" to do otherwise.
Anyway, seeing what other software issues some people have I'm feeling almost relieved! :|
This happens to me too and 9/10 the car starts to charge immediately and I have to change it to 'charge at preferred times'. I've just got used to checking it now before walking away as I'd rather not pay over three times as much for my electricity!
Order date 09/10/2021
31498*** order No
Current build week 26
Delivered 29/07/22
Software version 3.0
Podpoint charger
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

I can confirm same experience with charging preference at charging location being ignored when you turn the car off
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

You just need to select which of the options you want to charge with when you stop the car: charge immediately, charge at preferred times, or charge for departure time. IME it simply defaults to charge immediately and prompts you to choose every time you turn the car off. It's not a fault. It's worth checking in the app that the correct selection has been made after you've plugged in though, in case of a sync issue. Tbh this is less effort than using an independent charger app.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:04 am You just need to select which of the options you want to charge with when you stop the car: charge immediately, charge at preferred times, or charge for departure time. IME it simply defaults to charge immediately and prompts you to choose every time you turn the car off. It's not a fault. It's worth checking in the app that the correct selection has been made after you've plugged in though, in case of a sync issue. Tbh this is less effort than using an independent charger app.
IMHO this is a bug - For a given stored charging location you set a preference and the preference is being ignored. Came home the other night from work to find my car charging in the Octopus Go peak window as my wife had plugged it in. (as she has always done).

Reverted to using the schedule on my PodPoint.
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

smyth1492 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:37 am
sidehaas wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:04 am You just need to select which of the options you want to charge with when you stop the car: charge immediately, charge at preferred times, or charge for departure time. IME it simply defaults to charge immediately and prompts you to choose every time you turn the car off. It's not a fault. It's worth checking in the app that the correct selection has been made after you've plugged in though, in case of a sync issue. Tbh this is less effort than using an independent charger app.
IMHO this is a bug - For a given stored charging location you set a preference and the preference is being ignored. Came home the other night from work to find my car charging in the Octopus Go peak window as my wife had plugged it in. (as she has always done).

Reverted to using the schedule on my PodPoint.
Ii is a BUG in the VW infotainment software.
After working perfectly for 6 months (until and over the air update in May/June 22) our car forgets the 'stored' charging location and also some other settings.
Since our charger doesn't have a 'timer', it is a pain.
Updating to v2.4 with 2 grade visits has not fixed it
We have reported it to VW customer services, and now need to send it back to the garage for the 3rd time.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

2.3 and before are definitely bugged on this.

2.4 basically disables the function, whether due to a bug or what I don't know.

3.0 is not, imho, bugged. I think it is working as intended but I may be wrong. Obviously use cases vary so it's not going to be perfect for everyone. It works great for me.

With all software versions to some degree there also issues with the interface with some chargers that mean scheduling via the charger (as opposed to the car) causes the car to charge at a reduced rate. These seem most common with cars that were built with 2.3 and older cars upgraded to 2.4, but have also been reported with 3.0 (on a Born). These issues can be solved by the charger provider (Ohme, Podpoint etc) - most now have a ready-made fix.

Unfortunately all four of the above are different issues and are unrelated to each other so if someone has a problem that they need help with, they need to be specific. If everyone piles in to a thread with their own scheduled charging bugbears and isn't specific what they are talking about, it won't help anyone. The two previous posts are illustrative of this - they are talking about two completely separate issues in two different software versions.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
M0re85

Post by M0re85 »

Hello,
You can check my post on this thread. It could be happen the same to you:
viewtopic.php?t=3255
CodLiverOil

Post by CodLiverOil »

Hi all,

I think I'm having a similar issue. When I plug the car in to charge overnight I set it to 'Charge at preferred times' but randomly during the night or the day it will change to 'Charge immediately' and start charging! It's like I've lost control of the car. I might start setting the schedule on the Zappi instead... That might be more reliable!
No I'm sorry this is definitely a bug - my ID.3 never used to do this. It would always default to what I set in my location preferences (i.e. at home it would default to 'Charge at preferred times') but now it always defaults to 'Charge immediately' wherever I am. Definitely something has broken with an update somewhere.