Rear Light Cluster - Reversing light fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
peterashuk

Post by peterashuk »

I got a 'check' reversing light message today.
When I checked the rear light cluster, there is a crack in the plastic and the white reversing light is 'on'.
I've tried recycling the lighting controls on the panel inside the car and pressed the brake etc but this white light stays on (it's not very bright).
I can't see any way of getting to the back of the cluster to remove it. (there doesn't seem to be a cut out as in similar VW models)
So I don't know if I can replace the unit myself.
I'm curious to know why damage to the light would make it stay on.

Any ideas ??

I will report the problem to VW tomorrow and report back to the forum.

Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

There will probably be a bit of electronics in the light unit, white LED's need a voltage of between 4 and 5 volts across them so there will probably be a DC-DC converter chip to drop the voltage, with your crack in the lens it's possible that moisture has got in there and damaged things.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
peterashuk

Post by peterashuk »

Thanks, that makes sense. The white led light did go out during the night so I assume things have dried out and the fault is not showing. The crack is still there of coarse. I've ordered a new assembly but the quote to fit the light is quite expensive (approx £250). I'm considering fitting it myself with the help of my neighbour who is a car dealer. Does anyone have an exploded diagram to show how the unit is fitted and is there any electronics that needs to be registered to the car? My dealer says he doesn't think so but they have never fitted one!