Stuck in Offline Mode

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Leccy
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:08 am

Post by Leccy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:09 am

Hmmm, logged into my VW account through a browser and into the My Vehicles section and there’s the ID.3 all present and correct except there’s an alert that says “Mobile online services have been deactivated for this vehicle”

Wonder if that’s why it’s offline or that’s just referencing that I don’t have a data plan (free one has expired).
ID.3 Max / 2.3 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster

User avatar
Anduain
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:48 pm
Location: Barcelona
Contact:

Post by Anduain » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:21 am

Nothing to do with that data plan, you can relax there.

However, the other, I continue to think it's VW end.
Yorkshireman, living in Barcelona.
ID.3 Pro Max, Metallic Makena-turquoise, since December 2020, 2.3
11kw/h 3-phase charger at home, granny charge via Solar

Leccy
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:08 am

Post by Leccy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:30 am

Another surprise. I went to settings > privacy > mobile online services in the ID app and turned internet radio back on (I turned it off a few days ago to see if it stopped the annoying notifications) and the car came back online! Turning it off and back on and it repeated. The services deactivated notification in myVolkswagen account disappears and reappears too.

Going to leave well alone and see if it stays online.
ID.3 Max / 2.3 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster

User avatar
Utumno
Posts: 996
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:34 am
Location: Oxfordshire

Post by Utumno » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:04 pm

Leccy wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:30 am
Another surprise. I went to settings > privacy > mobile online services in the ID app and turned internet radio back on (I turned it off a few days ago to see if it stopped the annoying notifications) and the car came back online! Turning it off and back on and it repeated. The services deactivated notification in myVolkswagen account disappears and reappears too.

Going to leave well alone and see if it stays online.

I wonder whether some German software engineer looked at "Internet Radio" and decided that meant "SIM card" 😆
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Tour in Manganese Grey (on order since 7-Jul-21)
Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker

Leccy
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:08 am

Post by Leccy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:45 pm

Who knows, it’s very odd. I’ve let we-connect support know who were very happy for me, but didn’t answer my question as to why changing the internet radio setting would do that. I replied asking again, no answer as yet ;)
ID.3 Max / 2.3 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster

Leccy
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:08 am

Post by Leccy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:36 pm

Continued the dialogue with WeConnect support this week on the mysterious offline mode / internet radio issue my car had. This morning they asked me to take screenshots and photos of the cars online/offline state with the internet radio service on or off. I thought it was going to be a waste of time given I’d already done all that and been able to reproduce the problem at will, but did it anyway.

It only went and worked properly! Turning the internet radio mobile service off did not put the car in offline mode plus there is the added bonus that the annoying “internet radio is not available” notifications are not happening either, which is the reason I messed with the setting in the first place.

I’ll go back to them tomorrow after it’s had plenty of time to regress to let them know, also asking if they’ve changed something their end.
ID.3 Max / 2.3 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster

User avatar
Anduain
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:48 pm
Location: Barcelona
Contact:

Post by Anduain » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:02 pm

Fascinating!
Yorkshireman, living in Barcelona.
ID.3 Pro Max, Metallic Makena-turquoise, since December 2020, 2.3
11kw/h 3-phase charger at home, granny charge via Solar

User avatar
Utumno
Posts: 996
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:34 am
Location: Oxfordshire

Post by Utumno » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:17 pm

Leccy wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:36 pm
Continued the dialogue with WeConnect support this week on the mysterious offline mode / internet radio issue my car had. This morning they asked me to take screenshots and photos of the cars online/offline state with the internet radio service on or off. I thought it was going to be a waste of time given I’d already done all that and been able to reproduce the problem at will, but did it anyway.

It only went and worked properly! Turning the internet radio mobile service off did not put the car in offline mode plus there is the added bonus that the annoying “internet radio is not available” notifications are not happening either, which is the reason I messed with the setting in the first place.

I’ll go back to them tomorrow after it’s had plenty of time to regress to let them know, also asking if they’ve changed something their end.

This sounds more and more like you had an issue on your vehicle IoT profile to me, that got fixed server-side (usually by just deleting the server-side shadow copy so the vehicles copy becomes canonical). Happens all the time in nearly every IoT network, though normally there's a customer controlled process for resetting the shadow copy to save support calls to the IoT network master (often called a master reset, factory reset, settings reset, that kind of thing)
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Tour in Manganese Grey (on order since 7-Jul-21)
Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker

Leccy
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:08 am

Post by Leccy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:17 am

Thanks for that @Utumno, I’ve used it in going back to WeConnect support, makes me look like I know things 😆

The “internet radio is unavailable” notification came up this morning, maybe I didn’t see it yesterday because the car got onto our home wifi before it had a chance to come up, will go back to trying to ignore it.
ID.3 Max / 2.3 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster

Yossa
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:40 pm

Post by Yossa » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:29 pm

...offline again since this morning.
Starting to wonder if it's a network problem and not a car problem... :roll:

Leccy
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:08 am

Post by Leccy » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:28 pm

It’s impossible to say, our car has been online since the glitches we had, but WeConnect wouldn’t answer my question as to whether it was an issue their end
ID.3 Max / 2.3 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster

User avatar
Anduain
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:48 pm
Location: Barcelona
Contact:

Post by Anduain » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:16 pm

Mine is also back. Working once again and listening to Yorkshire Radio!

Our dealer said the problem appeared to be at their end but wouldn’t officially confirm.
Yorkshireman, living in Barcelona.
ID.3 Pro Max, Metallic Makena-turquoise, since December 2020, 2.3
11kw/h 3-phase charger at home, granny charge via Solar

scott28tt
Posts: 1888
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:34 pm

Post by scott28tt » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:49 pm

Yossa wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:29 pm
...offline again since this morning.
Starting to wonder if it's a network problem and not a car problem... :roll:

Given that my dealer were told by VW this week to install a software update to the comms control unit in mine this week, they think it’s a car problem…
ID.3 1st Edition / Moonstone Grey / October 2020 onwards

Ffmick26587
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:49 pm

Post by Ffmick26587 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:22 pm

4 days with no online at moment, but the sos button is lit green..and I can see charge levels etc in connect app… weird…

scott28tt
Posts: 1888
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:34 pm

Post by scott28tt » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:43 pm

Ffmick26587 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:22 pm
4 days with no online at moment, but the sos button is lit green..and I can see charge levels etc in connect app… weird…

If the car is offline, it won't be sending charge status to VW, which is where the app gets it from.

Unless it is online when you're not using it, which wouldn't make any sense.
ID.3 1st Edition / Moonstone Grey / October 2020 onwards

Ffmick26587
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:49 pm

Post by Ffmick26587 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:27 pm

yup, that's totally true, the VW dealership can't get their head around it either, software shows no bugs, infotainment says offline and keeps searching but yet I can see where the car is and the current charge levels on the app.... mad....

Ade_McG
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:22 pm

Post by Ade_McG » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:41 pm

This has now happened to my ID.3 First edition, (1 month into ownership).
Email, sent to weconnect-support@volkswagen.de lets see if I get a response and a correction.
ID.3
1st Edition - Manganese Grey

Ade_McG
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:22 pm

Post by Ade_McG » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:14 pm

Just as a way of an update, three days we-connect Tech support investigated and then stated the car needs to go into the main dealer to correct and don't uninstall the app or try any other "home researched fixes" (I wonder if they are referencing the Fuse 19 pull ?)

The car goes into my local dealer on Tuesday, which will be a full 7 days without any 4G or App capability for the car.

Let's see what happens.
ID.3
1st Edition - Manganese Grey

scott28tt
Posts: 1888
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:34 pm

Post by scott28tt » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:24 pm

Ade_McG wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:14 pm
Just as a way of an update, three days we-connect Tech support investigated and then stated the car needs to go into the main dealer to correct and don't uninstall the app or try any other "home researched fixes" (I wonder if they are referencing the Fuse 19 pull ?)

The car goes into my local dealer on Tuesday, which will be a full 7 days without any 4G or App capability for the car.

Let's see what happens.

Yes they probably did mean fuse 19.

They will probably either reset a control unit, apply an update to a control unit, or both - that’s what mine has anyhow.
ID.3 1st Edition / Moonstone Grey / October 2020 onwards

Ade_McG
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:22 pm

Post by Ade_McG » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:39 pm

A quick update:
So the car went in on Tuesday.
I got a call mid-morning stating it was all ok and no faults found, but it is all working again.
They also carried out a recall (windscreen washer reservoir).

I guess a reset was the remedy.....until next time
ID.3
1st Edition - Manganese Grey

Post Reply