Alarm goes off at random

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
PCR100

Post by PCR100 »

Referring to my earlier reply and reading later posts- why the prevalence of 2.30 AM?

w19ked

Post by w19ked »

Hi all,

Had the car for 2 months with usual problems of 12 volt battery drain, warning lights etc etc.

I usually park the car under cover and the alarm has never gone off. Last night I parked in the open and the alarm went off at 10pm. It was heavy rain at the time. Reading through the posts it looks like rain could be one of the causes.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I read elsewhere there is a sensitivity setting that a dealer can modify, which defaults to 100% - I wonder if the workshops will turn this down a little as and when they see each car...
Rockonron

Post by Rockonron »

Had the alarm go off last night for the second time, first time the boot was not closed properly and the second time I had left the key outside my Faraday bag.

Not sure of they are related but will.keep any eye on it
Neil737

Post by Neil737 »

I've had the car parked on the driveway all day without the alarm going off, but for the past 2 nights it gone off in the middle of the night - 2.30 and 4.40. Seems a strange coincidence that these alarms seem to be going off in the middle of the night...
Is there a way to lock the car without arming the alarm?
Deleted User 192

Mine has gone off 3 times over the last 2 days (11pm, 11:30am, 2am) even though it has the 0570 software which is supposed to mitigate the chance of it.

Each time I’ve checked the boot has been closed properly (which some have reported as the problem).

My car is back in the workshop the week after next, til then they’ve advised to disable interior monitoring and to let them know of it persists.
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

My alarm went off post upgrade to 0570 so I took it back in but they couldn't find any fault :( I asked them to upgrade to 2.0 but they didn't have the software :( :( and are only allowed to upgrade if they find a fault that the upgrade should fix. Didn't sound very helpful to me but I wasn't able to get any further.
G4XUR

Post by G4XUR »

Hi Guys, just joined this group with my new ID3. My alarm has gone off recently 1st time since delivery while in my secure garage, I checked the garage and content out to confirm all was in order. Nothing found but concerned it had gone off and repeated alarm sound till my attendance. Already becoming slightly disappointed in the ID3. Have had new golfs since their launch in circa 1979 in the UK, Today my ID3 reported a low 12v battery and stated the way to resolve is to drive it to change it!
Neil737

Post by Neil737 »

So, the car was booked in at the dealers today to look at the 12V issue and the alarm going off. They found a dodgy connection at the 12V battery which they say has caused these issues. I'm extremely dubious about it being the case. I've asked for the software to be updated and they are saying "if there is any outstanding work/recalls they will act accordingly". Be interesting to see if they even bothered to update the software while they have it and if the fault they say they found will actually make a difference...
linrik

Post by linrik »

ID.3 in Sweden here. Three weeks old car and alarm has gone off three times whereas one during night (actually around 2:30 am...). And one in the evening and one during the day when we were all watching the spectacle go off without any exterior influences at all.

Dealer says alarm sensitivity is the problem and other owners has suffered from this too. Scheduled fix in a week from now.
Dealer (sales person) also says that a restart of the infotainment system could be something (I'm not sure how that actually does anything but that's what they said). Also, turning off the cabin sensor while parked could ease things but again, it's not really proven as I see it from their statements.
They also stated (repair person) that the software update does not do anything with the alarm in my case. My software version is an early one.
Deleted User 192

This has happened to mine a couple of times since having the 0570 version installed (it happened more often on the original 0564 software).

My car is back in the workshop next week for the 0783 update. For the time being the master tech at my dealer advised to keep "interior monitoring" disabled when I leave and lock the car.
Justso39

Post by Justso39 »

My alarm goes off most nights and has been in for this fault and they didn’t fix it so getting pretty fed up with this nuisance as I would imagine the neighbours are no keys left in vehicle and boot slammed shut
I have had to unlock and leave it open that cures it😬
Deleted User 192

Tried keeping “interior monitoring” disabled?
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

Ours went off in the middle of the night the other day - I thought "here we go...our turn to start getting the problems others have mentioned".....anyway out with the car over the weekend and found we had an optional extra fitted by VW that we didn't realise.......there was a moth in the car! Must have been flying around during the night and set off the interior monitoring!
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
Deleted User 192

stu-evs wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:07 am Ours went off in the middle of the night the other day - I thought "here we go...our turn to start getting the problems others have mentioned".....anyway out with the car over the weekend and found we had an optional extra fitted by VW that we didn't realise.......there was a moth in the car! Must have been flying around during the night and set off the interior monitoring!

At least it also works when it is supposed to...
Ngauge

Post by Ngauge »

Our car is back with the dealership for the fourth time following further alarm functons five in the past week. The software updates have been installed but havenot fixed the problem. As no one has a clear idea why this is happening how can a software update fix the problem, Now we are seeing what appears to be the car unlocking itself with the lights flashing. Ten times in the last 24 hours. It does appear that the car was released for sale far too early!
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Ngauge wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:37 pm Our car is back with the dealership for the fourth time following further alarm functions five in the past week. The software updates have been installed but have not fixed the problem. As no one has a clear idea why this is happening how can a software update fix the problem, Now we are seeing what appears to be the car unlocking itself with the lights flashing. Ten times in the last 24 hours. It does appear that the car was released for sale far too early!
Agreed it would be great if Volkswagen did some fault finding, and I would have assumed that the car recorded why the alarm had been activated.
However I guess the alarm logic is different in the new software and this in itself may stop false alarms, i.e. it is no longer sensitive to a moth in the car.
It does appear that it is possible to partially update the car, in my car the Infotainment system was upgraded to 0783, so it looked like it had been upgraded, but at this stage the upgrade failed so none of the other systems were upgraded.
So have you been assured that the full update worked and that the alarm/locking systems was successfully upgraded?
Car was released for sale too early or at least without warning customers that it was not market ready and providing the necessary support for this being the case.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

Ngauge wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:37 pm Our car is back with the dealership for the fourth time following further alarm functons five in the past week. The software updates have been installed but havenot fixed the problem. As no one has a clear idea why this is happening how can a software update fix the problem, Now we are seeing what appears to be the car unlocking itself with the lights flashing. Ten times in the last 24 hours. It does appear that the car was released for sale far too early!
Does your car have kessy (keyless)? It is a feature that the kessy key fobs have a movement sensor - they go to sleep when not moved - and activate as soon as they are moved - this movement alerts the car to wake up. It does not actually unlock it until you get close to the car itself - but it will disable the alarm (flash the lights), switch on the leaving home lights, and power up the heating (assuming that option is set). This is all intended function - but many people find that they are unknowingly activating this by (for example) leaving car keys in the back of the house front door lock (i.e. every time the door is opened/closed the car activates), leaving them in a handbag etc., or moving them around the house etc. - if the car is parked close enough on the drive then it will keep 'waking'.

That doesn't help you with the alarm sounding - but might help with the lights flashing?! Re. the alarm - I think that it a known issue on early software - later software (as long as all module updates fully completed) is meant to address this. There is a further option that allows for the alarm sensitivity to be reduced by coding....many people have found VAG cars to be too sensitive over the years so have reduced it slightly/had it reduced. I think, often, it was the 'anti-towing' function setting the alarms off when the car is parked in such a location that it was exposed to a wind-tunnelling effect between houses - basically rocking the car and triggering the sensor....you'll find comments over many VAG forums re. alarm sensitivity. I have had it in previous Audi's if I park the car on one side of the driveway on particularly windy nights - never happened if it was parked on the other side of the driveway! In the 'old days' it was very easy to change the coding at home using VCDS - not the same on the ID.3 though as the modules are all protected - and you need one of the latest cables even to access diagnostics.
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

stu-evs wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:28 pm
Ngauge wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:37 pm Our car is back with the dealership for the fourth time following further alarm functons five in the past week. The software updates have been installed but havenot fixed the problem. As no one has a clear idea why this is happening how can a software update fix the problem, Now we are seeing what appears to be the car unlocking itself with the lights flashing. Ten times in the last 24 hours. It does appear that the car was released for sale far too early!
Does your car have kessy (keyless)? It is a feature that the kessy key fobs have a movement sensor - they go to sleep when not moved - and activate as soon as they are moved - this movement alerts the car to wake up. It does not actually unlock it until you get close to the car itself - but it will disable the alarm (flash the lights), switch on the leaving home lights, and power up the heating (assuming that option is set). This is all intended function - but many people find that they are unknowingly activating this by (for example) leaving car keys in the back of the house front door lock (i.e. every time the door is opened/closed the car activates), leaving them in a handbag etc., or moving them around the house etc. - if the car is parked close enough on the drive then it will keep 'waking'.

That doesn't help you with the alarm sounding - but might help with the lights flashing?! Re. the alarm - I think that it a known issue on early software - later software (as long as all module updates fully completed) is meant to address this. There is a further option that allows for the alarm sensitivity to be reduced by coding....many people have found VAG cars to be too sensitive over the years so have reduced it slightly/had it reduced. I think, often, it was the 'anti-towing' function setting the alarms off when the car is parked in such a location that it was exposed to a wind-tunnelling effect between houses - basically rocking the car and triggering the sensor....you'll find comments over many VAG forums re. alarm sensitivity. I have had it in previous Audi's if I park the car on one side of the driveway on particularly windy nights - never happened if it was parked on the other side of the driveway! In the 'old days' it was very easy to change the coding at home using VCDS - not the same on the ID.3 though as the modules are all protected - and you need one of the latest cables even to access diagnostics.
I should have added...you’ve probably seen elsewhere on this forum - but have you tried parking the car with ‘interior monitoring’ disabled from the shutdown screen? That is one of the other sensor systems that I think were previously triggering the sensitivity issue with some other VAG cars....
ID.3 1st Edition

Ngauge

Post by Ngauge »

Sty-evs thank you for your comments. Unfortunately it is key less but the fob etc is stored in an Rfid wallett away from the car. I have a conference call with local dealer management tomorrow and will raise the sensitivity issue. I looked at disabling the interior monitoring sustem but understand it reactivates when the car is locked again! Not sure if anyone from VW Germany is fully investigating the problem as it does appear to be a common fault.