Alarm goes off at random

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

Hi
The alarm on my id.3 has gone off four times. Last night was the worst - we were at a hotel and the alarm went off twice with no apparent reason - not a good advert for the car as the car park was close to all the rooms and woke many of the guests up. The other two times was at home but it is pretty poor that it happens at all.

Has anybody else suffered with this?

Purplemeanie

Post by Purplemeanie »

It’s happened to me three times too. Once over night at home and the other two times while it was parked on the street overnight.

There wasn’t anything happening around the car at the time except that one time there was heavy rain at the time.
ID3 1st Edition
Delivered 30/9/2020
www.purplemeanie.co.uk
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

This happened to me once. The boot lid wasn’t fully shut properly. The boot lid on my ID.3 needs a firm slam for it to fully latch closed.
PCR100

Post by PCR100 »

Alarm has now gone off for no reason twice, last time at 2.40 AM. (Also in heavy rain?)
Emailed my dealer (also listing 6 other recurring glitches) - awaiting their reply
silver6d

Post by silver6d »

I would second hwhbev's comment about the boot lid. My car's alarm has gone off twice while parked on my drive. The second time I examined it carefully, and the boot lid was not closed absolutely tight, I could rattle it slightly. It was also raining hard. Perhaps a loose lid being hit by rain and wind triggered the alarm. I now slam the lid closed! If the alarm goes off again then my theory is blown. Time will tell, fingers crossed.
Silver
PCR100

Post by PCR100 »

Hmmm... not sure. We’ve not opened our tailgate since last nights 2.40 am alarm call and it’s definitely fully latched. It’s in the garage tonight so we don’t wake the neighbours. Booked in with dealer (for a ‘few’ days) but not until November 9th - see what happens.
metricman

Post by metricman »

I also had the alarm sounding at random. Try using the start /stop button on the steering column before turning to N and pressing the park button. Works for me- famous last words!!!!!
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

Alarm went off again this morning - no rain, no wind, no beasties jumping on the car and the boot shut tight. It seems like on of those faults that will be hell to get fixed as it will never happen whilst the car is with the dealer! I'll try @metricman suggestion, thanks.
blamelewis

Post by blamelewis »

Hi folks,

My partner bought her ID.3 on the 31st October, and the last two nights we’ve had the alarm sound without any obvious cause. It’s parked roadside outside our flat. We’ll check out the boot closing and the pressing of the ignition button - thanks for the tips. Also going to talk to the dealer today if we can and see if they have ideas. Does anyone know if it’s possible to dig into the car’s software and see which of the sensors caused the alarm? Might help track down the issue...

All the best,
Tim
SteveGC

Post by SteveGC »

This happened to my ID.3 the night I took delivery at about 02:30 am. Not too popular with the neighbours. After some messing around I discovered I had left the second sent of key in the car. Once I removed them all seemed ok, and it hasn't happened since.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

There’s a reason I’m typing this at 2:30am on a Monday morning, my turn for this issue to occur!
PCR100

Post by PCR100 »

Sure its just a coincidence...
...but yours at 2.30 AM, SteveGC at 2.30 AM, ours at 2.40 AM ?
We're currently in a Polo courtesy car and the ID3 is in for this now.
Deleted User 192

My ID3 will be at the workshop this Thursday, this has now been added to the job sheet.
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

Yes, I'd left the second key in the car one night. The alarm went off - I went and retrieved the key but the alarm went off again three hours later. The other three times the alarm has gone off at random the keys were nowhere near the car. In to the dealer on Monday to see what they can do but I'm not feeling optimistic :cry:
Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Ours has gone off twice randomly for no reason. Anybody else had this and has VW had any fix?
Purplemeanie

Post by Purplemeanie »

Our car's alarm went off at about 2:30 - 3:00 AM last night (again). This is the 3rd time in 2 months since we've had the car. On the previous 2 times we didn't take much notice of the time. My wife didn't record the exact time she had to turn the alarm off last night, but she was pretty sure it was some time between 2:30 and 3:00.

John
ID3 1st Edition
Delivered 30/9/2020
www.purplemeanie.co.uk
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

I've got the car in for a service and they are about to start "three software updates affecting 11 components", which they say should cover most of the faults I reported - let's hope so :roll:
Deleted User 192

Mine has been having software patches installed over the last couple of days - VW made the same claim about the alarm fix being part of those, I'm hoping the car is returned to me tomorrow.
JC100

Post by JC100 »

Mine went off at 2.30 am on Monday night! After owing a car for more than 30 years, I don’t ever remember having to get up and switch off a car alarm in the night. It had gone off earlier in the evening, but could not find any fault (checked the boot as I have found this not to close fully sometimes and checked no spare key in the car). When I went to switch the car off at 2.30 am I noticed that one of the rear passenger doors moved very slightly when pressing the door suggesting it wasn’t fully shut.

I wonder if the issue is a combination of the doors not latching properly if not slammed shut and a very sensitive alarm. I’ve just got rid of my old car which had automatic soft close doors - not sure I’m going to get used to slamming doors!
rwlang

Post by rwlang »

I've had the same issue. The car is going into the garage later this week.