Alarm goes off at random

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
scott28tt
Posts: 948
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:34 pm

Re: Alarm goes off at random

Post by scott28tt » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:25 am

This has happened to mine a couple of times since having the 0570 version installed (it happened more often on the original 0564 software).

My car is back in the workshop next week for the 0783 update. For the time being the master tech at my dealer advised to keep "interior monitoring" disabled when I leave and lock the car.
ID.3 1st Edition / Moonstone Grey / October 2020 onwards

Justso39
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:59 am

Re: Alarm goes off at random

Post by Justso39 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:03 am

My alarm goes off most nights and has been in for this fault and they didn’t fix it so getting pretty fed up with this nuisance as I would imagine the neighbours are no keys left in vehicle and boot slammed shut
I have had to unlock and leave it open that cures it😬

scott28tt
Posts: 948
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:34 pm

Re: Alarm goes off at random

Post by scott28tt » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:57 pm

Tried keeping “interior monitoring” disabled?
ID.3 1st Edition / Moonstone Grey / October 2020 onwards

stu-evs
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:25 pm

Re: Alarm goes off at random

Post by stu-evs » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:07 am

Ours went off in the middle of the night the other day - I thought "here we go...our turn to start getting the problems others have mentioned".....anyway out with the car over the weekend and found we had an optional extra fitted by VW that we didn't realise.......there was a moth in the car! Must have been flying around during the night and set off the interior monitoring!
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366

scott28tt
Posts: 948
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:34 pm

Re: Alarm goes off at random

Post by scott28tt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:49 am

stu-evs wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:07 am
Ours went off in the middle of the night the other day - I thought "here we go...our turn to start getting the problems others have mentioned".....anyway out with the car over the weekend and found we had an optional extra fitted by VW that we didn't realise.......there was a moth in the car! Must have been flying around during the night and set off the interior monitoring!

At least it also works when it is supposed to...
ID.3 1st Edition / Moonstone Grey / October 2020 onwards

Ngauge
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:14 am

Re: Alarm goes off at random

Post by Ngauge » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:37 pm

Our car is back with the dealership for the fourth time following further alarm functons five in the past week. The software updates have been installed but havenot fixed the problem. As no one has a clear idea why this is happening how can a software update fix the problem, Now we are seeing what appears to be the car unlocking itself with the lights flashing. Ten times in the last 24 hours. It does appear that the car was released for sale far too early!

simonrg
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:40 pm

Re: Alarm goes off at random

Post by simonrg » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:22 pm

Ngauge wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:37 pm
Our car is back with the dealership for the fourth time following further alarm functions five in the past week. The software updates have been installed but have not fixed the problem. As no one has a clear idea why this is happening how can a software update fix the problem, Now we are seeing what appears to be the car unlocking itself with the lights flashing. Ten times in the last 24 hours. It does appear that the car was released for sale far too early!
Agreed it would be great if Volkswagen did some fault finding, and I would have assumed that the car recorded why the alarm had been activated.
However I guess the alarm logic is different in the new software and this in itself may stop false alarms, i.e. it is no longer sensitive to a moth in the car.
It does appear that it is possible to partially update the car, in my car the Infotainment system was upgraded to 0783, so it looked like it had been upgraded, but at this stage the upgrade failed so none of the other systems were upgraded.
So have you been assured that the full update worked and that the alarm/locking systems was successfully upgraded?
Car was released for sale too early or at least without warning customers that it was not market ready and providing the necessary support for this being the case.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire

stu-evs
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:25 pm

Re: Alarm goes off at random

Post by stu-evs » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:28 pm

Ngauge wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:37 pm
Our car is back with the dealership for the fourth time following further alarm functons five in the past week. The software updates have been installed but havenot fixed the problem. As no one has a clear idea why this is happening how can a software update fix the problem, Now we are seeing what appears to be the car unlocking itself with the lights flashing. Ten times in the last 24 hours. It does appear that the car was released for sale far too early!
Does your car have kessy (keyless)? It is a feature that the kessy key fobs have a movement sensor - they go to sleep when not moved - and activate as soon as they are moved - this movement alerts the car to wake up. It does not actually unlock it until you get close to the car itself - but it will disable the alarm (flash the lights), switch on the leaving home lights, and power up the heating (assuming that option is set). This is all intended function - but many people find that they are unknowingly activating this by (for example) leaving car keys in the back of the house front door lock (i.e. every time the door is opened/closed the car activates), leaving them in a handbag etc., or moving them around the house etc. - if the car is parked close enough on the drive then it will keep 'waking'.

That doesn't help you with the alarm sounding - but might help with the lights flashing?! Re. the alarm - I think that it a known issue on early software - later software (as long as all module updates fully completed) is meant to address this. There is a further option that allows for the alarm sensitivity to be reduced by coding....many people have found VAG cars to be too sensitive over the years so have reduced it slightly/had it reduced. I think, often, it was the 'anti-towing' function setting the alarms off when the car is parked in such a location that it was exposed to a wind-tunnelling effect between houses - basically rocking the car and triggering the sensor....you'll find comments over many VAG forums re. alarm sensitivity. I have had it in previous Audi's if I park the car on one side of the driveway on particularly windy nights - never happened if it was parked on the other side of the driveway! In the 'old days' it was very easy to change the coding at home using VCDS - not the same on the ID.3 though as the modules are all protected - and you need one of the latest cables even to access diagnostics.
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366

stu-evs
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:25 pm

Re: Alarm goes off at random

Post by stu-evs » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:01 am

stu-evs wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:28 pm
Ngauge wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:37 pm
Our car is back with the dealership for the fourth time following further alarm functons five in the past week. The software updates have been installed but havenot fixed the problem. As no one has a clear idea why this is happening how can a software update fix the problem, Now we are seeing what appears to be the car unlocking itself with the lights flashing. Ten times in the last 24 hours. It does appear that the car was released for sale far too early!
Does your car have kessy (keyless)? It is a feature that the kessy key fobs have a movement sensor - they go to sleep when not moved - and activate as soon as they are moved - this movement alerts the car to wake up. It does not actually unlock it until you get close to the car itself - but it will disable the alarm (flash the lights), switch on the leaving home lights, and power up the heating (assuming that option is set). This is all intended function - but many people find that they are unknowingly activating this by (for example) leaving car keys in the back of the house front door lock (i.e. every time the door is opened/closed the car activates), leaving them in a handbag etc., or moving them around the house etc. - if the car is parked close enough on the drive then it will keep 'waking'.

That doesn't help you with the alarm sounding - but might help with the lights flashing?! Re. the alarm - I think that it a known issue on early software - later software (as long as all module updates fully completed) is meant to address this. There is a further option that allows for the alarm sensitivity to be reduced by coding....many people have found VAG cars to be too sensitive over the years so have reduced it slightly/had it reduced. I think, often, it was the 'anti-towing' function setting the alarms off when the car is parked in such a location that it was exposed to a wind-tunnelling effect between houses - basically rocking the car and triggering the sensor....you'll find comments over many VAG forums re. alarm sensitivity. I have had it in previous Audi's if I park the car on one side of the driveway on particularly windy nights - never happened if it was parked on the other side of the driveway! In the 'old days' it was very easy to change the coding at home using VCDS - not the same on the ID.3 though as the modules are all protected - and you need one of the latest cables even to access diagnostics.
I should have added...you’ve probably seen elsewhere on this forum - but have you tried parking the car with ‘interior monitoring’ disabled from the shutdown screen? That is one of the other sensor systems that I think were previously triggering the sensitivity issue with some other VAG cars....
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366

Ngauge
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:14 am

Re: Alarm goes off at random

Post by Ngauge » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:24 am

Sty-evs thank you for your comments. Unfortunately it is key less but the fob etc is stored in an Rfid wallett away from the car. I have a conference call with local dealer management tomorrow and will raise the sensitivity issue. I looked at disabling the interior monitoring sustem but understand it reactivates when the car is locked again! Not sure if anyone from VW Germany is fully investigating the problem as it does appear to be a common fault.

Post Reply