Charging Point Locked - will not release

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
JC100

Post by JC100 »

I've had this issue a few times since having our new ID3 (just over a week). Even when I've pressed the unlock button on the car the charging point remains locked. Previously I've found that if I put my foot on the brake and turn the car into drive (warning comes up to say that the car will not start as plugged in) then press the unlock button on the remote, the charging point then unlocks.

However, this morning our car remains tethered to the charger and cannot be released. I've tried to stop the charging on the screen - the charging is set to 80% but it says it's charged to 81%. I've reduced the charging setting to 70%. I've tried resetting the screen and pressed "stop charging" and ensured it's on auto release and locked and unlocked the car several times, but still the charging cable is locked in. The green light is solid (not flashing) on the charging point.

I'm waiting to hear back from VW dealership, but just wondered if anyone else has had this issue. A quick search seems to show similar issues with the eGolf but not seen anything yet on theiD3 forum.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Have a look at pages 267/268 of the owner's manual - there's a manual release cord behind the boot liner.
Purplemeanie

Post by Purplemeanie »

I've had this problem a number of times now and have had to resort to setting the "release when complete" setting in the car's user interface charging screen.

It seems that if I'm charging and stop the session, then the plug is released. However, if I leave the car charging over night and it completes its charging cycle, then I have to start another charging cycle in the morning, then stop it to release the cable.

This has happened mostly with a 13A-socket slow charger that I bought off Amazon. It seems to happen less with my newly installed 7kW Zappi but I haven't had many charging sessions with this yet to come to a conclusion.

I've sometimes spent 5 minutes or more trying to get the car to release the charging plug.

I got very close to pulling the manual release cord once but in the end the car released the cable without having to resort to the manual cord.

I seem to have more luck with public charging stations, but again I tend to terminate the charging session from within the car before it gets to the 80 or 100% that I've set the car to take.

I was hoping that by now I'd have figured out a specific order to do things to get a reliable cable release but that still illudes me.

If anyone has a specific order they do things to get the cable released reliably then I'd be eager to hear it.

John
ID3 1st Edition
Delivered 30/9/2020
www.purplemeanie.co.uk
JC100

Post by JC100 »

When I returned to our car yesterday after having to abandon it on our drive tethered to the wall box. It typically just released, but only after unlocking the car, opening the rear door and pressing unlock again. But it then happened again this morning and I followed a desperate routine of the following:
  • Unlocking the car using the remote
  • Pressing stop charging in the infotainment (ensuring the setting is set to auto releasing the cable once charged)
  • Set the car to higher charge (from 80% to 90%) to recommence charging, then stop charging
  • Opening one of the doors (driver or rear drivers side)
  • Placing foot on brake and turning car to drive (until warning comes up to say that car is connected) and back to park
  • Pressing unlock 3 times in quick succession
  • Switching off the charging wall box and back on again, then restarting the charging process and ending
Eventually it released after completing the final procedure.

I know I need to book the car in, but difficult when it gets in the way of work etc and the dealer is not that close. The dealer of course just says bring it in or call VW roadside assist if it’s stuck tethered. Has anyone pulled the cord in the boot to release the charging cable? If so does it have to go in to the dealership to have it reset before being able to charge the car again? Or can this be done without concern, i.e will the pull cord work again without being reset? The dealer doesn’t seem to know the answer to this. I'd be happy to do this as long as it didn't need to urgently go into the dealership to be reset at least until we get the time to book the car in properly.
JC100

Post by JC100 »

Had the car in with the dealer for 2 days. They did a software update and this now resolves the issue partly. If the car is set to release the charger after the car is charged then this now works well. Previously After charging overnight the charging cable would not release even when this setting was on. The only issue now is if this setting isn’t on (need this if out in public charger not with car so cable does not get stolen) then it still doesn’t release when unlocking the car or using the screen to start and stop charging. Sometimes if you press stop charging - it has a little think - and does nothing. Usually after a few attempts it stops charging and releases the cable.
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

I’ve experienced just as you state above. I’ve only charged the car 3 times but only once did it release the cable first time. I remember my dealer stating that the car should be locked with the key when leaving on charge and unlocked with the key when returning to enable the cable to release. Tried bits of using the infotainment screen and the key but there appears to be no consistency. I do wonder though if it’s my lack of consistency....

A
ID.3 1st Edition
Spiderlag

Post by Spiderlag »

Had the above today, so frustrating ended up finding the Pull Cord inside the Boot, it’s just a piece of looped wire you put your finger in and pull....

Any one have an update or offer up a reason why this would happen please?
Family Pro
White Metallic
Heat pump
19in Andoya
Black pack
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

I assume you tried pressing the unlock button on the key fob 3 times in a row? Had to use that on the original software a couple of times.

Other than that I’ve no other suggestions I’m afraid. Normally mine is just released with the auto unlock as I approach the car on 2.0...
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Spiderlag wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:20 pm Had the above today, so frustrating ended up finding the Pull Cord inside the Boot, it’s just a piece of looped wire you put your finger in and pull....

Any one have an update or offer up a reason why this would happen please?
As others have said multiple unlocks on the car fob have worked for me so far.
The other possibility is how have you set unlocking of the doors in the Infotainment system, I have set mine to unlock all the doors, this seems to have solved our frustrations with unlocking the car but not being able to open any door apart from the driver's door.
Otherwise using the charging screen may have an effect.
Question for you - is it obvious which is the wire loop to release the charging cable and which is the wire loop to us in emergency to disconnect the high volt battery?
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

I've struggled with this couple of times, but when found, '3 times unlock', it worked. :)
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
yummymummy11

Post by yummymummy11 »

I am so pleased to see this, my Family did this today with us at a public charging station (my first attempt at public charging), so frustrating, eventually it released, and it seemed to be it had reached its 80% capacity as set but unlocking the door didn’t seem to release the cable... light stayed on steady green rather than turn white ?....
HEOLFAWR56

Post by HEOLFAWR56 »

Bought my ID3 in August 2021 and my cable failed to release on the first home charge and in spite of 3 visits to the dealers, who connect to a fast charger, the problem continues. Tried locking/unlocking, turning on ignition, pulling the cheap wire loop in the boot, programming RELEASE WHEN CHARGED, but now have to charge up to bedtime, switch off the power and the car releases the cable overnight. My LANE ASSIST NOW UNAVAILABLE, also FRONT ASSIST AVAILABILITY IS LIMITED and there is an ERROR DYNAMIC ROAD SIGN DISPLAY showing on my info screen.
Now debating whether yet again to take it back to the dealer, or trade it in for a KIA. Tony.24/10/21.
NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

Tony, check this forum for the OTA update - it sounds similar to the errors mentioned before that update is flagged?

On the charging cable release, certainly sounds like a fault for the dealership to fix.
Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

HEOLFAWR56 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:56 pm My LANE ASSIST NOW UNAVAILABLE, also FRONT ASSIST AVAILABILITY IS LIMITED and there is an ERROR DYNAMIC ROAD SIGN DISPLAY showing on my info screen.

If you agreed to receive the 2.3 update as per an email from VW, go and read that email again - this happens from the point in time that your car realises that part 1 of the update is available to download til that part is installed.
dbradley55

Post by dbradley55 »

I am trying to set the "release when complete" switch but it is greyed out on the screen. Is there any point in the process when this switch is accessible?
id.3 pro
family
Vee

Post by Vee »

I had this problem and tried all the vairous ways advied on this forum to no avail - I then phoned Podpoint who said to lock and unlock the car 5 times whch I had tried but had not tried to disconnect the charger as it wa still on green I was told to still try and release the charger and this time it worked even thougjh it was on green.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

JC100 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:26 am I've had this issue a few times since having our new ID3 (just over a week). Even when I've pressed the unlock button on the car the charging point remains locked. Previously I've found that if I put my foot on the brake and turn the car into drive (warning comes up to say that the car will not start as plugged in) then press the unlock button on the remote, the charging point then unlocks.

However, this morning our car remains tethered to the charger and cannot be released. I've tried to stop the charging on the screen - the charging is set to 80% but it says it's charged to 81%. I've reduced the charging setting to 70%. I've tried resetting the screen and pressed "stop charging" and ensured it's on auto release and locked and unlocked the car several times, but still the charging cable is locked in. The green light is solid (not flashing) on the charging point.

I'm waiting to hear back from VW dealership, but just wondered if anyone else has had this issue. A quick search seems to show similar issues with the eGolf but not seen anything yet on theiD3 forum.
My heart sinks.

I have this problem on my new car as well. Once it has met the desired % charge it should release the cable. But it don't. I have to increase the % charge, stop it and then the cable releases. Is this still persisting with you all?
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
JohnEG

Post by JohnEG »

I don't know if the protocol is the same with all chargers.
I have a Zappi and always release the car end first, and this releases automatically
To release the charger end you have to press the "+" button on the charger control panel.
This has always worked without a problem, apart from one occasion when it was fairly new.
I thought it hadn't released but it just need a firm tug as it was a tight fit.
This may have nothing to do with the problems outline above but I thought might be worth mentioning.
Life Pro Performance, White/Black, East Derry Alloys.
Order No: 31558xxx 18/11/21
Delivered 14 November 22
Zappi Charger
Software 3.2.0
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

So yesterday I charged at home with an Ohme Pro to 100% as I had a long journey.

Unlocked the car but the cable remained GREEN. Should you be able to remove the cable when green?

Also, on a faulty (my fault) charger, the light turned RED. Should you be able to remove the cable when red?

I did on both occasions.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Adhara

Post by Adhara »

have only had the car about a week and am just about getting to understand the difference and interaction between 'We Connect', 'Location', 'Departure' and 'Preference' charging options

- plugged into a faulty public charging point , ID3 charge indicator went red, cable locked but was able to unlock using the key , pressing unlock a couple of times quickly.
- confusing trying to 'stop charging' and release cable when parked in a 'location' during a set charging period, it stops charging briefly and I can hear the cable release but it starts again before you can get to it to pull out, have to change the 'location' setting first.
- When a charging session has completed successfully the indicator light is steady green and the cable is released.

ID3 Life Pro
V2.3.0
H20