One ID.3; two users; two phones; two apps...

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
RobM

Post by RobM »

Hi,

My wife and I both use our ID.3, which must be a pretty common usage model. We both created accounts in our separate instances of the WeConnectID app on our phones. But only one of those accounts is allowed to add the VIN of our car. But of course, we both want to be able to control the charging and heating of the car.

To get around this, we both use my login details in our separate instances of the app. Is that the recommended method? Is there another way to achieve the same thing?

Having logged in with my account twice, from two separate phones, should I now expect...

• Persistent "Synchronising" message following attempt to turn on the heating remotely?
  • Success in turning the heating on/off, but no control over the cabin temperature (the app responds to the buttons, but in the car, the temperature is always the last temperature set from the cabin?
..or does everybody get those problems, regardless of whether they have used their account twice on two separate phones?

Rob

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Yes at the moment multiple instances of the app have to use the same login account.

I believe this will change once the 2.1 software is rolled out in Q1 (along with an updated We Connect ID app) - the new Golf uses the same infotainment system but it supports multiple profiles.

Not sure those specific behaviours have anything to do with you using multiple app instances though, I've heard of people having those with just a single app instance.
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

I get the persistent "synchronising" message and only I have the app at present - heating goes on but not heated seats.....
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

I've got the We Connect app running OK on my phone, but I can't get my wife's set up at all.

The app asks for the VIN; I enter it and I'm told that it is incorrect. (It isn't).

Has anyone else had this problem? I can see some people have reported that she would have to use my login details, but I can't even get as far as that screen.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

hungerdunger wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:30 am I've got the We Connect app running OK on my phone, but I can't get my wife's set up at all.

The app asks for the VIN; I enter it and I'm told that it is incorrect. (It isn't).

Has anyone else had this problem? I can see some people have reported that she would have to use my login details, but I can't even get as far as that screen.
On iOS you need to select Log In on first run not register. It could be different on Android.

So my wife instead of starting as registering as a new user and entering entering the VIN. She just logged into the app with my user details and it just worked, looking identical to mine.

If you are on iOS then I suggest you delete and reinstalled the app, hopefully then it will give her the option to log in rather than register.

Annoyingly the app require iOS 13 or greater, so I can not use the app on my iPad Air.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

I'm here, rather sheepishly, to explain that the reason we were having problems is that my wife had downloaded the "normal" We Connect app - not the We Connect ID one.

Once I realised that everything was OK.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
AndersG

Post by AndersG »

Yes. We did that as well. Stupid of VW to have two apps with similar names. But once I added the wife, I was logged out and got a message that I was no longer the main user, so how did you do it? Ie how did you add the second user?
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

AndersG wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:04 am Yes. We did that as well. Stupid of VW to have two apps with similar names. But once I added the wife, I was logged out and got a message that I was no longer the main user, so how did you do it? Ie how did you add the second user?

Multiple instances of the We Connect ID. app have to be logged in with the same VW account. For now at least.
AndersG

Post by AndersG »

Thanks Scott. I also got the same reply from VAG. Not a big issue for us anyway, just curious :)
Thank you for your response and the provided information.

Based on the information provided, we would kindly like to inform you that adding the secondary user for your ID.3 vehicle is currently not possible.

This subject has already been raised to our developers for further consideration, however, we unfortunately have no information yet on whether this will be made possible in the near future or not.

In the meantime, we would like to suggest that you and any other user each log into the app from your own smartphone by using the same credentials.

We hope for your understanding in this matter.