LHD Wipers Fitted to RHD Car

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Excellent video of exactly the issue. Look at how quickly the left hand side of the screen is wiped compared to the right. The left wiper comes up almost immediately after the right has gone down, thereby clearing the left hand side of the screen. The right hand side of the screen is much slower at being cleared after the left hand wiper has come down and thrown water across the right hand side of the screen.,

My description seems to be almost as unclear as the windscreen!
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104

Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

I've just had a cracked windscreen replaced on my 1st edition and had an opportunity to look at the windscreen wiper system. There are separate motors for each of the 2 wipers and it looks like the blade shafts are in the same position. but here's the problem. The bottom 12 cm or so of the screen is black with the exception of 2 small slots about 1.5mm by 7mm long which are clear. These 2 slots are not symmetrical, mounted on the car are 2 sensors behind these slots. The car auto parks the windscreen wipers using these sensors and the slots to see the wipers. To change the position of the wipers the sensors would have to be moved (new mounts on cross beam) and a new windscreen fitted with the slots reversed. The code that drives the wipers would also need to be updated to accommodate the change, the wiring loom for these sensors would probably also need to be changed slightly. The chance of VW paying for the change to existing cars is vanishingly small as it would probably cost over £1000. Making the change at the factory would just be the cost of keeping 2 different sets of parts.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Why would VW pay to change something they have had clearance as being approved for UK roads? There's little evidence to suggest it's dangerous and the majority of examples of it being dangerous could be resolved by the simple action of driving to the conditions.
Onr of the main complaints is that the nearside wiper flicks water across the drivers view, which can't be argued with. The last video posted is not really very helpful as the driver seems to be using a head cam mounted over their right ear so the view is strange, but it did make me think, How about removing the passenger side wiper arm altogether (etreme maybe) or in fact shortening it so it didnt't cover as far over the driver's side?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

It is lazy (and cheap on a £30k+ Car) of VW not to reverse the wiper functionality on RH drive cars. But, I have had the experience of driving through some torrential downpours and it was OK. Because you should be concentrating on what’s happening on the road, I didn’t really notice much about anything with the wipers. They worked. From my old memory, I’m pretty sure there have been other cars from Europe that have had the same set up, albeit some years ago.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Scratch wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:27 pm It is lazy (and cheap on a £30k+ Car) of VW not to reverse the wiper functionality on RH drive cars. But, I have had the experience of driving through some torrential downpours and it was OK. Because you should be concentrating on what’s happening on the road, I didn’t really notice much about anything with the wipers. They worked. From my old memory, I’m pretty sure there have been other cars from Europe that have had the same set up, albeit some years ago.
Are you suggesting that we are driving without concentrating on the road? I raised the point that when driving in every other car I have owned or driven I have never noticed the wipers when in operation. However, in my wife's ID3 I did notice that fact that the wipers were not correctly set up for RHD.

This means that the wipers are not operating as I would expect them to for RHD cars. If they were correctly set up then I would not have noticed their operation.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

gailjon wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:25 am
Scratch wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:27 pm It is lazy (and cheap on a £30k+ Car) of VW not to reverse the wiper functionality on RH drive cars. But, I have had the experience of driving through some torrential downpours and it was OK. Because you should be concentrating on what’s happening on the road, I didn’t really notice much about anything with the wipers. They worked. From my old memory, I’m pretty sure there have been other cars from Europe that have had the same set up, albeit some years ago.
Are you suggesting that we are driving without concentrating on the road? I raised the point that when driving in every other car I have owned or driven I have never noticed the wipers when in operation. However, in my wife's ID3 I did notice that fact that the wipers were not correctly set up for RHD.

This means that the wipers are not operating as I would expect them to for RHD cars. If they were correctly set up then I would not have noticed their operation.
Each to their own. What I said was, It's wrong for RH drive cars, but it works and is usable.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Scratch wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:08 am

Each to their own. What I said was, It's wrong for RH drive cars, but it works and is usable.
I agree that the wipers do work, but heir operation is clearly not designed for the RHD market. As has been said by others they should have converted them correctly for the RHD market. I suppose it is a manifestation of the lack of domestic car manufacturers.

The last British car we owned was a 1992 Rover Metro 1.0C 3 dr. It was slow uphill and I doubt we would have survived a crash but the wipers were designed the the RHD market.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

gailjon wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:30 am
Scratch wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:08 am

I agree that the wipers do work, but heir operation is clearly not designed for the RHD market. As has been said by others they should have converted them correctly for the RHD market. I suppose it is a manifestation of the lack of domestic car manufacturers.

The last British car we owned was a 1992 Rover Metro 1.0C 3 dr. It was slow uphill and I doubt we would have survived a crash but the wipers were designed the the RHD market.
NO! I Did not imply that people are not concentrating on road conditions but personally, I have never given it a thought, whilst driving, that there was a problem with the wiper operation. Each to their own means. you have your opinion and I have mine.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Each wiper arm is the same length and is situated the same distance into the windscreen relatively, each wiper (also identical lengths) completes the same 90 degree arc in the same time frame. (they have to operate in the same time or they'd hit each other). The wipers are not RHD or LHD if any thing they are M(iddle)HD.
The other thing I notice is that traditionally wipers were moved by a motor (or 2) that spin in a continuos rotation with the attached cam allowing the side to side movement, this gives a continuous smooth action, the ID seems to 'flick' the wipers one way then the next, as if the motor is being stopped and reversed each time (I think) and it makes the wipers look odd as they appear to lurch from top to bottom on the sweep.
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

There's some clever programming of the wiper motor operation. I presume that they are stepper motors which allow them to move in controlled incremental steps. As the speed of the wipers increases in heavy rain the nearside wiper doesn't return to the fully down position to ensure that the wipers don't collide. When the wipers are turned off, they stop a few degrees before the park position and then slowly move to the park position.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
SDH7

Post by SDH7 »

Does this issue affect the ID4?
ID4 Life Pure
Status 30 as of 16/06
NHS Fleet Order from VW Pulman
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

SDH7 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:24 pm Does this issue affect the ID4?
Yes. LHD optimised wipers, drum rear brakes and likely Bridgestone tyres all add up to ID3/ID4 being a complete death trap in the lightest of drizzles. So in lieu of deposit contributions, VW UK are now offering free life insurance cover for all new orders. :lol:
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale »

Resurecting a very old thread here, but I reported this issue to Volkswagen UK today, they have "contacted my retailer to have a look" which they will do when it goes in on friday to see if they can sort the bluetooth out (it keeps on dropping out).
I know they wont be able to do anything, but this is a 2023 car on software 3.2 from the factory and still they fit the wipers the wrong way. So the more people who report it the better I guess.
ID3 Tour, Heat pump, sports pack, moonstone grey
ordered 24/01/22
Arrived: 05/05/23
JohnEG

Post by JohnEG »

I don't understand this thread.
Goodness knows we've had enough rain in the past months to test the wipers!
I've experienced no visibility problems driving in really bad weather.
Maybe some people have an April 1 model!!
Life Pro Performance, White/Black, East Derry Alloys.
Order No: 31558xxx 18/11/21
Delivered 14 November 22
Zappi Charger
Software 3.2.0
generationgav

Post by generationgav »

SDH7 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:24 pm Does this issue affect the ID4?
No.
I'm not sure if the ID.4 has different wipers LHD and RHD, but the id4 wipers are more "traditional" and there's two wipers going the same direction. So it doesn't have the same timing issues as the ID.3
Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale »

JohnEG wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:11 pm I don't understand this thread.
Strange, I have in a week in Cumbria, not surprising though, they call it the Lake District for a reason. The pattern leaves a line right in the drivers line of sight, its really not great.
ID3 Tour, Heat pump, sports pack, moonstone grey
ordered 24/01/22
Arrived: 05/05/23
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Dinsdale wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:24 am
JohnEG wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:11 pm I don't understand this thread.
Strange, I have in a week in Cumbria, not surprising though, they call it the Lake District for a reason. The pattern leaves a line right in the drivers line of sight, its really not great.
Totally agree.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Mine is a problem in very heavy rain on faster roads. In lighter rain there is no noticeable effect because the left hand wiper doesn't leave behind enough water to be noticeable in my line of sight. I wouldn't have said it's dangerous, I can still see ok, but it's annoying. It isn't going to be fixed without a mechanical refresh. I doubt they will even do it on the facelift as that appears to be purely minor cosmetic changes. Left/right hand drive shortfalls are one of the few bugbears I have with the ID3, although the, miniscule glovebox perhaps more than the wipers.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
s9bl

Post by s9bl »

sidehaas wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:57 am Mine is a problem in very heavy rain on faster roads. In lighter rain there is no noticeable effect because the left hand wiper doesn't leave behind enough water to be noticeable in my line of sight. I wouldn't have said it's dangerous, I can still see ok, but it's annoying. It isn't going to be fixed without a mechanical refresh. I doubt they will even do it on the facelift as that appears to be purely minor cosmetic changes. Left/right hand drive shortfalls are one of the few bugbears I have with the ID3, although the, miniscule glovebox perhaps more than the wipers.
My thoughts exactly. I also find it annoying, but not dangerous, and if I had to pick I'd go for a bigger glovebox.
Max, Glacier White, MY23, Software 3.2
N21

Post by N21 »

Doesn't really bother me when it's raining. It's when it dries out and leaves residue on the windscreen!